YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I intend visiting France for two months and am not taking my normal diving equipment. All I will do is snorkel and take underwater pictures.

What I may take is my pony/reg and harness so that if I see anything underwater whilst snorkelling which I want to take a picture of I can put my reg in and descend to take it.

What I wondered was, is getting air fills relatively easy in France - if you are not diving with the shop?

Cheers

Lyvia

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
France is not part of the EU - well that's what the French think :D

To get a tank filled in France it needs a hydro of less than two years old. There is a more liberal visual system available to French clubs but this is not available to visiting divers.

Don't expect 230 bar - you will get 200 as a general rule.

I would also take the hydro certificate. Hydro in France are stamped with the prefix R (re-prouvée or re-tested).

If your tank is "in test" by French standards you can get it blown easily. Some Decathlon have facilities and any dive shop will be happy to fill it.

Expect to pay about half what you would in the UK.

Chris

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Lyvia - I think I have seen a flaw in your plan...

If you are breathold diving then the pony will act as weight so only a few metres below the surface and you will soon be negatively buoyant, making an ascent difficult

also if you were swapping betwen pony and breath hold you could get confused and hold your breath with a lung full of compressed gas (ok this is unlikey but given the added task loading of the camera...)

given the hassle of taknig a pony abroad, you may be best to stick to snorkelling and take the camera if you are comfortable - I hope you don't think I am lecturing you (that's not my intention at all) I just want you to be safe

best regards

Ed

·
NULLI-SECUNDUS
1,016 Posts
Hi I had problems getting all my tanks filled, I had to buy new ones with CE markings on.

It might be worth buying a couple of new ones in the UK with CE markings on and taking them with you.

I looked into buying some in France and a 15lt was going to cost me about £275.00.

I got some from Kent Diving and got a family member to bring them over to me.

Hope this helps
Thanks
James

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, thanks for the reply.

The bit about getting fills from Decathalon is very interesting as I do visit their shops whilst in France. I shall enquire this time around.

Taking the pony abroad isn't hassle for me as we use a touring caravan so are going via ferry to France so no flight necessary.

I shall concentrate on snorkelling and using the underwater camera on this trip and investigate fills from decathalon. Next year I will have got an appropriate test and have checked what decathalon need for a fill.

My pony isn't in test at the moment and I don't have time to get it tested before I go. It is interesting about the ce markings though. Perhaps I should get it tested over there, then it will have the appropriate ce markings. Knowing my luck they will probably cut it in half...... he he he.

Thanks (Ed) for your concern about breath holding and buoyancy when swapping between the two. I would be very careful - honestly - no I don't think you're lecturing me.

Cheers

Lyvia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts