YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Jon,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to YD my friend! Get in amongst it and enjoy.

Secondly, can you give us a bit more about yaself?? For instance, where are you in the UK? The more we know, the quicker we can get you hooked-up with someone near you who we know and who can instruct you in a manner that you'd find beneficial and safe.

Hope this helps and look forward to getting you squared away.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nimpto, welcome aboard.  I'm up in Glasgow area, a bit too far for you!  Dive safely.  

·
Registered
8 Posts
nimpto said:
Can anyone advise me on the best course of action to attain the PADI DiveMaster qualification.
I'm currently Rescue diver qualified.

Any advice to [email protected]

Thanks.
Jon
Well the one thing I will say is DON'T do internships. You'll be a slave for a long time...........If you want to get the PADI DM cert (Though God knows why?). Go to your LDS and talk with a PADI Instr about it.........I always find that if you pay for your courses you can demand a high level of training........

Just my 2 cents worth (Opppps Pennies worth) :zip:

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Argo said:
Well the one thing I will say is DON'T do internships. You'll be a slave for a long time...........If you want to get the PADI DM cert (Though God knows why?). Go to your LDS and talk with a PADI Instr about it.........I always find that if you pay for your courses you can demand a high level of training........

Just my 2 cents worth (Opppps Pennies worth) :zip:
And I'd argue the opposite. If you're ever considering working as a DM then internship is the only way to go. You learn infinitely more working, doing the job you're going to do, than you ever do by just doing the course. Reading a book and filling in the blanks on a multiple guess is easy, and then it just vanishes out of your head.

Most dive operations will only employ someone who has done it via internship unless they exhibit exceptional skills. Mainly because we've all done it so many times it's drilled into you :)

Mark.

(PADI DM-613167 (via Internship :) )

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Well you had for and against internships so you should be nicely confused so now is the time to ask "Why on earth did I want to be a Divemaster anyway?" and throw the whole idea overboard and go and enjoy your diving rather than playing wetnurse to a bunch of oiks.

Beware the PADI machine that sweeps you along from one course to the next when Rescue Diver is a good qualification to go and enjoy all sorts of diving in the UK and around the world and discover what aspect of this wide ranging hobby is the one for you. DM is the foundation stone for instructing and doesn't teach you anything useful that you won't learn by just doing the hours in the water.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
nigelH said:
Well you had for and against internships so you should be nicely confused so now is the time to ask "Why on earth did I want to be a Divemaster anyway?" and throw the whole idea overboard and go and enjoy your diving rather than playing wetnurse to a bunch of oiks.

Beware the PADI machine that sweeps you along from one course to the next when Rescue Diver is a good qualification to go and enjoy all sorts of diving in the UK and around the world and discover what aspect of this wide ranging hobby is the one for you. DM is the foundation stone for instructing and doesn't teach you anything useful that you won't learn by just doing the hours in the water.
I thoroughly agree.

Mark.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Just to answer your question, the nearest PADI Centre running DM courses to you would be the Dive Bureau in Harrogate.

However, not knowing anything about them (and worrying if they're any relation to Dive Time who were slightly scary) I urge caution, unless anyone on here can prove me otherwise.

Alternatively, a quick nip along the A59 and you're talking Overland Underwater - DDJ should be able to put me right as to whether they run Divemaster courses, but they're the best PADI outfit in the area, IMHO.

Mark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bantam said:
And I'd argue the opposite. If you're ever considering working as a DM then internship is the only way to go. You learn infinitely more working, doing the job you're going to do, than you ever do by just doing the course.

Most dive operations will only employ someone who has done it via internship unless they exhibit exceptional skills.

Mark.

(PADI DM-613167 (via Internship :) )
So Bantam, how long did you have to serve the diveshop you did your internship with?...........I advise against internships because of following problems. You pay to get to the place, and find that all that was written is in fact lies..... OH it does happen, and happens a lot.
I am Admin of another ProForum and we get complaints from people almost every day that have had the wool pulled over their eyes...........
The last one said If I'd known I was going to be filling tanks all day every day for 2 months I would never have joined their internship program......... Others promising you the possibility to work afterwards.........BS.........Certification Cards held back etc etc etc......... the list is endless.........

So If you were lucky enough to find a good place to do your Internship as DM Bantam all I can say is lucky you............ BTW your comment that most dive operations will only take someone that has done an internship is wrong all of our DM's and Instr's have Paid for their courses and not all of them have excetional skills............ This is the case at all of the DiveShops / Schools that I worked at...................Also most of the owners that I know are the same.............

PADI MSDT
TDI INSTR
CMAS 2** Instr
Ex-Sat Instr.

·
Registered
8 Posts
nigelH said:
That is absolutley true M8.........I think a lot of people miss that point!!

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Argo said:
So Bantam, how long did you have to serve the diveshop you did your internship with?...........I advise against internships because of following problems. You pay to get to the place, and find that all that was written is in fact lies..... OH it does happen, and happens a lot.
I am Admin of another ProForum and we get complaints from people almost every day that have had the wool pulled over their eyes...........
The last one said If I'd known I was going to be filling tanks all day every day for 2 months I would never have joined their internship program......... Others promising you the possibility to work afterwards.........BS.........Certification Cards held back etc etc etc......... the list is endless.........

So If you were lucky enough to find a good place to do your Internship as DM Bantam all I can say is lucky you............ BTW your comment that most dive operations will only take someone that has done an internship is wrong all of our DM's and Instr's have Paid for their courses and not all of them have excetional skills............ This is the case at all of the DiveShops / Schools that I worked at...................Also most of the owners that I know are the same.............

PADI MSDT
TDI INSTR
CMAS 2** Instr
Ex-Sat Instr.
I did my internship with a small independant school (as in the chap who ran the company did nothing but dive training, and IMHO did it well).

I paid nothing to do it as the deal was I work as a DM and I get the training - did it over a period of 2 years and was great fun. Was treated with respect and worked hard. Only thing I personally had to pay for was my transport and books.

I have dived with too many OWSI's who fast-tracked their way through the system and end up being dangerous divers. It actually scares me - especially ones who are reckless. Like the one who did a 66m bounce dive in Grand Cayman where the legal floor limit on air is 35m and he did it on a 12L cylinder of air with no redundancy or backup. Or the one who did a feet first ascent from 15m in capernwray whilst teaching because he'd never used a drysuit before. The list goes on....

I have my opinions as I've seen what can happen from the sharp end :(.

I feel we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. ;)

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
warmwaterdiver said:
errrr guys, you do know this thread is over 2 years old right.......
Well that's no excuse to not start an argument is it? :)

Right then......

nigelH said:
Cobblers!

Well apart from the "foundation stone for instructing" phrase.

Next please.....:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bantam, Those are not the typical kind of internships.......... you were lucky!! I have people writing me all the time about the shops in Thailand, Mexico and Dom Rep complaining............ Not much I can do except name them on our forum and hope other DM candidates read before they book the flight tickets.........
I also disagree with Instrs "Fast Tracking" make bad instr's and even worse Students.............. I think that the EUF (And this will happen soon, In Europe anyway) will set a time limit as to how long a person has to be a DM before they can take the OWSI exam......... this I wholeheartedly agree with.........:shade:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Argo said:
Bantam, Those are not the typical kind of internships.......... you were lucky!! I have people writing me all the time about the shops in Thailand, Mexico and Dom Rep complaining............ Not much I can do except name them on our forum and hope other DM candidates read before they book the flight tickets.........
I also disagree with Instrs "Fast Tracking" make bad instr's and even worse Students.............. I think that the EUF (And this will happen soon, In Europe anyway) will set a time limit as to how long a person has to be a DM before they can take the OWSI exam......... this I wholeheartedly agree with.........:shade:
yes, but with the greatest respect, the majority of people who read, ask advice and post to this forum are from the UK. A very large proportion do their internships in this country - so if they get bad 'service' from their instructor, then they post about it.. I don't think I have read that on here to be honest..

Also, there is much talk about 'rack and stack' type centres in foreign countries - so DM candidates are not the only people who suffer.. I hasten to add that I have only read good things about the instructors from other countries who post on here..

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Lazlo said:
Cobblers!
I do love a reasoned, well explained, clear minded presentation of the facts. It makes it so easy for the questioner, well provided they're still reading after two years of silence, to chose between the points of view on offer.

You are saying that DM is some use? Well other than developing a demonstration quality mask clear and serving in the shop? If you want to go into teaching that is definitly the case but this is the point where the 'Go Pro' path divides off from us bods who just want to go diving. Non-Pro the next course is a speciality and it might not be a PADI one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm not a dive master and have no intentions of been one either, I'm not even PADI so don't know the system, but surely doing an internship if you have the time is better than turning up at your LDS and doing a DM course. Working with real students has got to be better for you to learn as you get real situations and not ones that have been made up by the instructor before you get in the water.

Like I said though I could be totally wrong

1 - 20 of 23 Posts