YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A sad thing, especially someone so young.

This sort of thing always makes me marvel how the police, and the other rescue services, cope when tragedies occur.

· Registered
161 Posts
Imported post

Tragic, and I agree with your comments - but - I still have this problem with PC's, untrained, un-equiped, entering the water.
Yes, you (or I) would do it - why didn't the 999 operator call the coastguard? They're equiped to do it. The number of PC's that have simply added to the casualty list by (no pun intended or meant) going in over their head is large.

· Registered
3,877 Posts
Imported post

Good points Phill, perhaps our 999 operators aren't as fully informed as they need to be?

In case one of us has to do this for real and maybe hasn't heard it before, it's worth repeating the preferred methods of reaching someone in distress in the water, which IIRC goes: reach, throw, wade, row, tow.
If I've got this wrong I'm sure someone will tell me soon enough.

· Street Cleansing Operative
4,348 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The coastguard would have been the first port of call but the police would have been informed as a matter of routine (similarly in the case of house fires).

It's often the case that we are first to arrive and when there's someone in need who's life is in danger you just get on with it, regardless. We are trained in life saving techniques and this officer would have been aware of those mentioned by Steve. But frankly the officer wouldn't have given a moments thought to his own safety and just got stuck in. That one life was lost is a tragedy; that two were saved are a testament to this man's bravery and commitment to his job and the public he serves.

We don't have a coastline, but in GMP an officer gets a bravery award from the Fire Service for rescuing someone from a house fire about once every month.

It's got to be said, despite what you might be led to believe by reading these pages and the Daily Mail, we're not all about catching speeding motorists.

· Exiled in Scotland...
6,245 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well said Mark! What the (early) BBC news peice did not mention was that the Police Officer ensured he was tethered to a roped and that two members of the public had a firm hold on the other end of the rope before he entered the water.

A very brave and selfless act.

It has to be mentioned that two passing fisher men and a civilian woman, who were first on scene (by all acounts) waded in to pull the first two girls out. Their acts of  Bravery have to be commended, which seems top have escaped the press some what.

Dave C

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>A sad tale, but it's also very nice to know that some people don't just turn and walk away.

Sorrow for the family and a big pat on the back to the people that were involved in the rescues.

Juz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.