YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all
Club is doing a night dive on the above wreck (out of Littlehampton) and I would like to 'swot up' on it before hand, but can't for the life of me find anything about it on the web.
Does anyone have any info or links where I could find out the details?
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
WWI naval researcher
161 Posts
Imported post

Martin,

There was a Glenlee of 4915 grt sunk on August 9, 1918 4 miles East by North from the Owers LV. The Glenlee was built in 1917, operated by the Rio Cape Line and carrying government stores (I presume that means military items) from Clyde to Dunkirk at the time of her loss. One crewmember was lost. UB 57, under Oblt.Z. Lohs, was credited with the sinking. UB 57 did not make it home from this patrol and was lost somewhere east of the Sandettie Bank.

Best wishes,

Michael

·
WWI naval researcher
161 Posts
Imported post

Martin,

The Owers Lightvessel is 7 miles southeast from Selsey Bill, Sussex. The location listen where the Grenlee went down can't be more than 10 to 15 miles from Littlehampton.

Best wishes,

Michael

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Hi Martin, this is what Dive Sussex says about this wreck:

"A victim of UB-57, the Glenlee was sent to the bottom by one torpedo on 9th August 1918. The torpedo struch her in the starboard side byetween holds nos. 3 & 4. She was 4 miles east by north from the Owers Light Vessel and sank stern first in 15 minutes. One of her 68-man crew, a gunner for one of the three guns with which she was armed, was drowned when she sank. Captained by George Lumsden, the 4.915-ton 400ft steamer was carrying 2100 tons of steel billets for the government from Dunkirk to Portland.

Swept and salvaged, the Glenlee is well broken up and lies in 20m of water. Three boilers stand 5m proud, but the rest of the ship is largely flattened with a number of her plates lying on the bottom. Well silted, she lies with her bow to the north-east at 50 40 28N: 00 33 52W."

(Dive Sussex, Kendall McDonald, p. 72)

Let us know what it's like.

Tom

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Tom/Michael

Thanks for that
As it happens, the dive has now been canned due to bad weather, which I'm almost pleased about because my drysuit hasn't arrived yet and I was beginning to dread the thought of getting wet!
If it get's re-scheduled, I'll tell you all about it.
Regards
Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts