YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Well

What a final, stress levels went up a bit on that one.

Well done the lads, what a Victory  

Paul

· Registered
4,431 Posts
Imported post

Watched it here with a few other players and referees.

Watson has clearly never heard of law 16.4 (f) where it states its illegal to indicate or dummy the ball from a ruck - dustmite did it twice in the lead up to final drop goal.

Very very poor refereeing decision.

Rugby union lost today.

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

So what did you make of the Oz scrum popping up or the pull down in the line out towards the end of the second half?

You don't seem to mention those.

The referee wasn't great but he was equally rubbish for both sides.  As every player knows you play to the ref.  some you win some you lose.

England are WORLD CHAMPS - they got there through being damn good - unbeatable in fact.

Bitterness doesn't become you, you know!

· Registered
4,431 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Nov. 22 2003,12:11)]Bitterness doesn't become you, you know!
So what did you make of the Oz scrum popping up or the pull down in the line out towards the end of the second half?
[/quute]

Fairly simple.  Looshead boring in and forcing them up.  Something the referee called up.  Again gutless refereeing - regardless of whether they were or werent offences HE believed and called 7 offences against Vickery in the scrum.  No yellow card.  Gutless.

"(f) A player must not take any action to make the opposing team think that
the ball is out of the ruck while it is still in the ruck.
Penalty: Free Kick"

The above law is the one Watson failed to enforce gifting england the world cup.

Not reversing the penalty when drugdalio had his 3rd attempt to punch larkham out of the game was incredible as well.

A very poor game and one which sadly all the decisions favouted england including the absolute crucial last second one.

At least the world rankings show something sensible.  NZ are still number 1 ranked side on form not the basis of 1 knockout match.

The game of Rugby lost out there today.

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

I'd agree Vickery was dissapointing - especially as I'm a Glos boy.

Agreed that the ref was pants - his understanding of what made a forward pass seemed to need a little more 'bolstering'.  Hope not to see him again in the near future.

Can't agree that the ref decided in Englands favour - England should have been awarded a penalty at the line out before the end of the second half.

Can't agree that RU lost out today - It was a great, if often frustrating, game and Aus never really looked like breaking through England after they scored that first try.

We must agree to differ.

· Banned
1,380 Posts
Imported post

String - to win, you've got to have the most points. We scored as many tries as you did and more goals.  I'm astonished that you're losing with as much bad grace as you are.  You lost. We won. Feel free to take pull the whole thing to bits, but considering the tactics employed over there to unsettle our players (not including the vitriol thrown at the Aussie team by its own media when they weren't winning) - the team that deserved to win.....did.  Given what's gone on over there I consider it a moral victory as well as a physical one.

Still. There's always the rugby league if that'll make you feel better.

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>not understanding all the rules (or those in football either), I have no idea about the intricacies you're on about but Yay England about bloody time we won something

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (String @ Nov. 22 2003,11:58)]Rugby union lost today.
So you're being in no way overly dramatic then?  
Whoops, you nearly dropped it.......yer tiara..

"Rugby Union lost today" Are there three 'L's in 'BOLLOCKS'?

Granted England did themselves very few favours in the second half (of normal time) and allowed the Deportees to come back from 14-5 to parity; then in the first half of extra time, I sat, agog, as England opted (on Australia's 22-yard line!) to go for the scrum and not kick the penalty! FFS! After the Ozzies caught up, the game ebbed and flowed on a constant three-point margin and just when they had a sitter of an opportunity to grow the buffer, they opt for a f*ckin scrum at that range! Already-so-soon-my-life!

Any way, no doubt the Deportees will debate the toss ad nauseam in the bars of Darling Harbour and 'The Rocks' in Sydney tonight/tomorrow/the after/and the day after/and.........but hey, they lost and England won.

Happy days.

As with Tim's comment, it does not become ANY of the 'home' nations to back-bite and filibuster about the minutiae of a game just because England win: the very fact that you lot are 'unhappy' about the win, and the fact that some of you tend to support anyone other than England, AND the fact that you got spanked and seen off during the tournament just comes across as sour-grapes. Why can't you lose with dignity? England have been doing it for years and have nigh-on perfected the art!

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (String @ Nov. 22 2003,12:16)]
Bitterness doesn't become you, you know!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[/quute]

Fairly simple.  Looshead boring in and forcing them up.  Something the referee called up.  Again gutless refereeing - regardless of whether they were or werent offences HE believed and called 7 offences against Vickery in the scrum.  No yellow card.  Gutless.

"(f) A player must not take any action to make the opposing team think that
the ball is out of the ruck while it is still in the ruck.
Penalty: Free Kick"

The above law is the one Watson failed to enforce gifting england the world cup.

Not reversing the penalty when drugdalio had his 3rd attempt to punch larkham out of the game was incredible as well.

A very poor game and one which sadly all the decisions favouted england including the absolute crucial last second one.

At least the world rankings show something sensible.  NZ are still number 1 ranked side on form not the basis of 1 knockout match.

The game of Rugby lost out there today.
I've just read the above diatribe and I'm sorry, but you're coming across like a petulant school-boy who was sent off in the first half and is now railing against the ref! And the use of 'ref-clique' names for players ("drugdalio") is both twee and wince-inducing.

ALL teams have to play the ref on the day: had England lost today and your comments were being made by England fans, would have a bar of it? Would you f*ck! You'd say 'take it and like it', or words to that effect - and rightly so! The bottom line is that them's-the-breaks and you take your medicine. End of.

And it may have escaped your attention (or maybe you can't see it because of your self-donning blinkers getting the way), but England have just won the Rugby World Cup! They did so by beating any and all-comers en route - upto and including the current world champs and holders, Australia.

Added to which, and also en route, over the last six months (you'll note 'out' of England's rugby playing season!) they also spanked NZ, Aus and the Springboks on their own turf!!; so that's ALL Souther Hemishere teams on the bounce, out of season AND a world cup under their belt to boot - but hey, the ref today was 'appalling' and England didn't play very well!! FFS! So no jealousy or bitterness there then, eh?  

· Banned
1,380 Posts
Imported post

Did you hear about the Aussie politician who was found dead in a hotel room wearing a wallabies rugby top? The police had to dress him up in ladies underwear to hide his embarrassment                                
Swiiiinngggg looooooowwww….

· Registered
4,431 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Nov. 22 2003,13:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I'm sorry, I've just read the above diatribe of yours and I'm sorry, but you're coming across like a petulant school-boy who was sent off in the first half and is now railing against the ref! And the use of 'ref-clique' names for players ("drugdalio") is both twee and wince-inducing.
Basically the referee made a monumentally incorrect decision that ultimately settled the destination of the world cup.  That is unforgivable and VERY bad for the game.  As for the name for englands disgraced captain- i think you'll find its a common name here even used in the media and BBC.

As for if England lost, if England had lost to a monsterously refereeing screwup call yes i would moan about it.  The standard of refereeing in the world game and particulary this tournament has been nothing short of disasterous.  Walsh for the Scotland game was so out of it he should have been euthanised.

As for out of season calls - with the advent of summer tours there is no off season.  Every team had to play games in the build up for it.  The NH players were lucky in that they havent played club or cross border matches where the SH teams have.

IRB Rankings quite rightly still have NZ as ranked number 1 based on performances not one knockout.

That crucial decision at the end made a mockery of the entire tournament.

· Registered
200 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>or...did u hear the one about the english buisnessman arriving at sydney airport?

buisness or pleasure sir? ..asked the immigration officer.

bit of both actually! ....replied the gent.

the immigration chap take's a stern look at the picture on his passport with a hint of suspicion.....

do you have a criminal record sir? ....ask's the immigration officer.

sorry! ...i didnt realise you still needed one. ...replied the gent.  

i looked over jordan, and what did i see? ...coming for to carry me home.... a band of sheila's,.. running after me, coming for to carry me home.

regard's

troxmiester  

· That's Dude with an E
12,914 Posts
Imported post

Just back from the pub, door openned at 8.15am, bacon and sausage rolls supplied by the landloard, london pride ale bought by me, what can l say, the first 10mins the convicts were v.good then for the remaining normal time England were better in evry aspect, apart from the Aussies penaulties in the second half.

Anyone know what the Aussies last penalty was for?

This was what l would call total rugby, running wide, pushing through the forwards and trying for drop goals.
If any other country had won the world would have been full if praise. But this was England so we know we won't get any credit.

· Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,340 Posts
Imported post

It was as nail-biting as 1966 (It brought back all the same tensions and virtually ran to the same script.) I have decided to change my name in honour of the achievement. Please call me Johnnie in future!

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (String @ Nov. 22 2003,13:36)]That crucial decision at the end made a mockery of the entire tournament.
Christ on a bike. Oh dear. Admit it, you're a drama-queen, aren't ya?

Maltilda just got 'jum-bucked' good-styleeee without lube and you're having a hard time coming to terms with it!

Have a beer and relax mate, there's always 2007  

· That's Dude with an E
12,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (String @ Nov. 22 2003,13:36)]That crucial decision at the end made a mockery of the entire tournament.
Spot on, l assume you mean full time and not extra time.

And if we're moaning about the ref why did he allow Gregan to continually push Dawson away from the scrum?

It would be nice if just once, one of our union friends would acknowledge England achievement.

Made a mockery of the tournament???, at the start England were ranked world No 1 at the end they won the world cup seems to me the best team won and not just the best on the day but the best for the last few years.

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>funny... it gives me so much more joy to see oz lose than england win?

well almost.

ha ha ha.... bout time too. next the cricket.

Be fair, not really an even match. The imperial storm troopers against a bunch of sheep farmers and criminals. Guess oz inbreeding works for most sports except rugby, guess they cant breed tough and hard people.

1,770 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>England made more opportunities than Australia - Ben Kay dropped the ball just before going over. At that point if he'd have scored I don't think we'd have had the game we did it would have been all over.

The Aussies were all over the place in the scrum - Vickery got pinged for boring in but the Aussie props were only binding half of the time and got away with it.

The best team on the night won. End of story.

Oh yeah and if you read the IRB rankings you'll see that England are ranked 4 points ahead of NZ in the first place.

rankings from the IRB

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.