YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Woz,

Drop them a email or give them a ring.  It is in their interest to sort it out,  if they don't and their is an incident they will probably have a visit from their friendly HSE inspector.

And some poor sod might be unlucky in the meantime.

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ Mar. 08 2004,13:11)]Have already done so but apparently it's not the first time they have been told about it....
Oh the old, it's not a problem until the HSE inspector calls!

Well let's hope someone reports them to the HSE,  They won't be the first shop to be reported and I don't suppose they will be the last.

It does seem that some shops do not appreciate constructive critisism or being told they might be doing something wrong.  Oh well their loss.

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>as a responsible shop owner this sort of thing crushes my grapes big time. As Daz has said, its never a problem until there is an incident. Not only should the air quality be good, the compressor should be tested every three months. I keep a copy of our latest air test attached to the compressor for all to see and am never ever complacent if a customer complains about the quality of the air.

I have already had a visit from the HSE and it scared the living wotsits out of me!!!

PS Daz, did you get my reply to your pm or has the old technophobia got me again

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>It is not enough to just change the filters every 30 hours, the air must be of a proper quality for use....

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ Mar. 08 2004,14:26)]Had a reply from GD saying that they change the filers every 30 hrs and they were done 11 hrs ago. Still smelt oily, though...
Ok, they changed the filters but that doesn't guarantee that the compressor isn't putting out too much oil as the filters may have not been correctly fitted, blown seal, etc. Its in their own interest to stop giving fills until they have investigated the problem as it may prove hazardous to their customers and their blender....  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You'er forgetting why Go-Dive do what they do. There's not a lot of profit in free air, and as a result they don't care. Most of their customers are newbies, who aren't goign to notice or complain about this sort of thing.

It's making me think twice about whether I want to get a fill there, which is my main reason for going into their shop. Especially for free nitrox. 32% is free according to them. Looks like I'll be an oily nitrox diver next week!!!

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Has anyone actually verified that there's anything actually wrong with their air?

No doubting your word that it smells a bit fishy Woz, but a few conclusions seem to be being jumped to without a lot of hard evidence that there's actually a problem?

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Tom,
I dont think the main problem for us is the bad air, after all anyone can have a part fail and cause bad air.
The problem is that they seem completely disinterested in checking if they are pumping bad air. Most places will stop pumping until they can check the air. Go-Dive just say "the filters were changed 11 hours ago, it must be ok!".

Simon A

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

My air always smells of plastic regulator...

Well, if you feel that strongly and you suspect contamination, then can I suggest you call HSE?  Should be the first stop really, after the shop itself.

I agree with the above - it's how people handle a problem that defines good service.  "NFI" is not good enough, even if the gas is free.

Wish my LDS did free nitrox...

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Digger, You have PM re free nitrox....

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I have had similar problems with GD in the past - one fill was 32% but only 170 BAR! and it was only noticed when I was on the boat out of Poole mainly due to the fact that Mark used to fill 'em hot. I'm not sure if he still does as I haven't, nay refuse, to set foot in his place again

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I personally have never had a problem with bad fills at GD I did once at another dive shop in that area though, but in their defence they held their hand up straight away and sorted it out.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Imported post

As a dive centre owner, here's my two pennies worth.

We have an L&W compressor that constantly monitors filter humidity, and so we know when to change the filter based on its ability to keep filtering, not how many days it's been in.

Last summer, a filter lasted two weeks because of the hot weather, and another time, the filter was faulty.  We changed it there and then for a new filter and got it replaced by our compressor company.  Using the GD 30 hour rule, they'd have pumped 30 hours of bad air in our scenario.

Lastly, we get a quarterly air purity test done by our local IDEST station which is displayed in the shop and by the compressor.

It lists the content of carbon monoxide (if any!), carbon dioxide, oil content, water vapour and oxygen content.

We think that if you're going to buy compressed air and/or nitrox from us, you are entitled to know that we take care to ensure it's fit for the purpose.

If it's not and there's an accident, put the tin hats on!

HTH

Nick

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

hey noel if you had had a dodgy fill how come u only noticed when u had got on the boat
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]one fill was 32% but only 170 BAR!
i would not have accepted a fill of 170 bar and it should have been checked and verified at the shop,i would have also waited for it to cool down and also i smell the cylinder air as a bad smelling air is gunna start the alarm bells ringing thats why my air is always filled by my local shop in rotherham  if in dought u should get someone involved who can help you out with your concerns like the HSE

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Norbert, we have an L&W ourselves (450 es). Ain't it the canine testes:D. With that little panel on the front it gives us all the info we need, and its pretty idiot prrof. When orange....change filter!

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Yipee,

I did check the O2 content and the quality of the nitrox in the shop and looking back at the situation I should have checked the cylinder pressure too - oh well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

Well again i think this shows the arrogance and ignorance of Mark at GoDive! Just another story about GoDive's attitude to its customers, enough said i think.

We've moved to Derby Diving Supplies, he can match GoDive prices, does free air and Nitrox upto 32%, overall you get a much better service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts