YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.... Just looking for some recommendations from you lot.

After a 40m dive yesterday where I was switching gases I've decided I need to streamline my kit.

I currently dive on a 12lt twinset on my OMS wing. I wear a divator AGA which I love for coldwater diving but yesterday with the addition of a stage I found I had a lot of clutter about me and even though I have my switching block and everything went easy enough I just wasn't happy with it.

I think with doing gas switching dives I'd be better going back to half mask for handiness really.

I used to dive with a Cressi big eyes and they're still tempting but I've also seen the tusa visio pro which looks nice!

Before I go and buy either of these I thought I'd ask some advice from here.

So what do you use and why?

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Atomic Fits well and has optical glass. :0)

·
I love Justin Bieber
772 Posts
Oceanic Shadow. Because it fits my face and keeps the water out.
+1 mine fits me & my two sons who nick it, oh & my daughter for her pool work. plus have the Oceanic Shadow Mini as my back-up mask (When daughter doesn't nick it to take on holiday............)

·
Likes rummaging in rust
1,571 Posts
Cressi Ochio Plus Dark
A very nice low volume mask, so low it is really simple to clear.
The field of view is fantastic. I would still use it but my old age
eye sight lead me to a Mag Four.
You can try mine and see what you think.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seeing you and speedy yesterday with the bigger lenses reminded me of my cressi big eyes. Plus, you seen first hand how awkward my whole set up seemed.

I'll definitely have a try at yours, and have a hoke down at Baps as my big eyes mask could very well be down there somewhere!

The Tusa Visio looks pretty cool, is low volume and is frameless and is an all one piece glass which I've never tried before but the theory behind it is nice

·
Likes rummaging in rust
1,571 Posts
It's all about comfort, what suits me may not suit you.
The mask I had on yesterday is a Mag Four the Cressi
was in my pocket as a back up.
Speedy got his of "TOB" and has prescription lenses fitted
though they are "TOB's" prescription as speedy don't need
glasses :teeth:

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
If you like the Big eyes, I've got a big eyes evo here with the crystal silicone that doesn't suit my face, It's been used for 3 dives. £20 +postage to anyone who wants it.
Simon A

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Yep, all the recommendations in the world don't matter if the mask isn't comfortable or doesn't keep the water out (I've had a lot of masks that water pissed in when swapping regs underwater). Go somewhere and try a load.

I like freediving/spearfishing maks, really low volume and usually cheap (most spearos I've met are tighter than me). I've got a couple of different makes, one as a main, one as a spare, both were under 20 quid.

·
Likes rummaging in rust
1,571 Posts
Yep, all the recommendations in the world don't matter if the mask isn't comfortable or doesn't keep the water out (I've had a lot of masks that water pissed in when swapping regs underwater). Go somewhere and try a load.

I like freediving/spearfishing maks, really low volume and usually cheap (most spearos I've met are tighter than me). I've got a couple of different makes, one as a main, one as a spare, both were under 20 quid.
The Cressi I recommended is a freediving mask similar to the big eyes but lower volume.
I used a Cressi super occhio but the vision from the occhio plus is so much better.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Up until today I was a big Cressi Matrix/Big Eye Evo fan, but I've tried the Hollis M1, and am now a convert. Much more comfortable, much better field of view, much less fragile (buckles on the Big Eye Evo have broken 4 times) and being frame-less, fold up nicely.

Oh yes, cheaper than the latest Big Eye Evo Crystal too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The mask I had on yesterday is a Mag Four the Cressi
was in my pocket as a back up.
Speedy got his of "TOB" and has prescription lenses fitted
though they are "TOB's" prescription as speedy don't need
glasses :teeth:
Lol - that's brilliant!

Speedy would nearly cut himself if he found a plaster :teeth:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts