YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Paracanthopterygii
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years and probably more than 500 dives with a DIR harness I have decided to put a buckle on the left side. The wing was originally bought with one and I remember how easy and comfortable it was. Then I was bullied into ‘seeing the light’ and ease and comfort went out of the window, for wimps.
I want to comply and I don’t want to be attacked on dive boats for having one but….

I have decided that it is dangerous not having one. This summer I spent nearly two months diving around Scotland. Most dives were solo, beach, loch or kayak. Most of the dives in Scotland had difficult access with strong currents, steep banks and worst of all - midges. And on quite a few occasions I needed to get out of my harness (twinset with deco) very, very quickly. But couldn’t due to inflated wing and drysuit and unless I wanted to risk pulling a compass, slate, computer off my wrist this was not easy and on some occasions risky.

Will I be banned from diving with other DIR’ers? Am I getting old and soft?

So, I went to buy some new webbing. Not easy. I had a choice of soft flimsy stuff or sponsored H’s. Anyone know where I can get some stiff plain black webbing? There is plenty online but I don’t know the quality.

Thanks,
MFF.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Speak to Woz on here, he is a purveyor of quality webbing....

And good on you for working out what works for you, who gives a damn what others think, if it is good for you then do it...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Better safely out your gear than a broken arm/leg, face down, drowning in 6 inches of water because you've fallen at entry/exit.

·
Who f#cked with your edit button?
263 Posts
DIR : the system works when you use the system. Get a buddy, deflate the wing, put the compass on the other wrist, your slate in your pocket, leave your mask on, clip the primary off to the right shoulder d-ring and use it as a handle.

If you run up a beach by yourself and no one is around to see you, is it ok to use some plastic tat ?

Steve

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I recently bought a plate that has H webbing and a A.P.Valves clip (like on a buddy commando).

I have replaced the webbing, of course, and need the hardware but for a small consideration you would be welcome to the webbing and clip.

When you die please bequeath it to me and I will resell it to the next victim ;)

Mal

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Getting a buddy isn't always possible when the system is so specific and to simply not dive isn't an option for many people.

DIR : the system works when you use the system. Get a buddy, deflate the wing, put the compass on the other wrist, your slate in your pocket, leave your mask on, clip the primary off to the right shoulder d-ring and use it as a handle.

If you run up a beach by yourself and no one is around to see you, is it ok to use some plastic tat ?

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Getting a buddy isn't always possible when the system is so specific and to simply not dive isn't an option for many people.
Huh?? I've never had any problems getting a buddy when I dive my Hog rig.....to be honest a quick buddy check sorts out any changes in config and my instructions to anyone is that there is a knife on my waistband and shears on my leg. If they need to get me out of my kit in an emergency then they can cut the webbing.....much better than facing around lookin for clips and quick releases on a standard bc set up.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Huh?? I've never had any problems getting a buddy when I dive my Hog rig.....to be honest a quick buddy check sorts out any changes in config and my instructions to anyone is that there is a knife on my waistband and shears on my leg. If they need to get me out of my kit in an emergency then they can cut the webbing.....much better than facing around lookin for clips and quick releases on a standard bc set up.
I can find any old muppet as a buddy too but finding someone else who dives DIR is like rocking horse poo round here unless I want to travel. Even then they often aren't trained in the procedures, they've just put a long hose on and rigged the hoses the same.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
DIR debates aside (it's a system and this is just 1 element) is there a big problem with clips breaking? I don't get the logic behind the clip without a break system. BCD divers don't appear to be reporting lost kit due to broken buckles/clips. If a clip was going to break would it nt do. O when under maximum lad (on dry land)?

·
Who f#cked with your edit button?
263 Posts
That's kinda my point. The system doesn't work for that kind of diving. Find a system or a least a kit setup that does.

My all means wear the kit, but if you rarely dive with DIR buddies there's not much point in diving DIR. :( It's not an implant that lasts forever. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In the water I imagine it will do sod all. I've had webbing come loose on legs straps and chest straps on parachutes and I didn't miraculously fall out my harness going from 125mph -> 0mph in a couple of seconds so I'm not sure how people are supposedly at risk of falling out their scuba diving harnesses. Out the water could be a PITA though and sounds like a good way to give yourself a back injury if it suddenly broke.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That's kinda my point. The system doesn't work for that kind of diving. Find a system or a least a kit setup that does.

My all means wear the kit, but if you rarely dive with DIR buddies there's not much point in diving DIR. :( It's not an implant that lasts forever. ;)

Steve
Yes, I agree. DIR is not appropriate if you haven't got a team trained to the same standards IMO. It's certainly not the most ideal setup for solo diving but then it was never thought out with that consideration.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I have known clips wear to the point of not holding together, it was on a tired old buddy commando though and a quick trip to AP for new clips... free as I recall and it was good as new again, not sure off the age but it had won a few battles in its time, as far as I am aware it is still going strong.

For drysuit diving I have a continuous loop on the right hand side, just under the D ring, why? When dekitting on the surface it makes it a whole lot easier to get my wrist adornments and dry glove rings through the webbing... Why not a full break? Two reasons, 1. I don't have a sewing machine and 2. if the clip does come undone I simply have a harness a couple of inches longer on one side than the other, this isn't an issue...

I just rigged two ali backplates for our trip to Mexico, neither have any break, in 2mm suits without gloves on hardboats I doubt it will be needed...

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Out the water could be a PITA though and sounds like a good way to give yourself a back injury if it suddenly broke.
Mine came undone as I was astride the gunnel of a boat stepping off. I hadn't done it up properly. I just did it up again. No issues at all. Of course, if you're some jessie who can't carry their twinset on one shoulder or use twin 18s, your mileage may vary,

Jason

·
T'internet diver and tea drinker.
546 Posts
No he didn't....
The OP asked.. "Will I be banned from diving with other DIR’ers? Am I getting old and soft?"

As we all know, there are no dive police ( cue Janos and Woz ) but he isn't diving a DIR set up if he chooses to stick a break in his harness.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts