YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
to be fair...

bruclee2.jpg

I can't see a buckle on him, hes wearing black....and he looks like he could deploy a long hose.........makes you wonder:)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It's a great idea though. Picking the things that you think work best for you from different agencies or training organisations and systems.
The only down side I see to it, is finding someone that uses the same bits you have picked.

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
I always thought Brucie's skills were combination of: Smoke, Mirrors, Skill and Fantasy in equal measure?

Never did get it.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Okay, so maybe we're digressing slightly off topic ;) but Bruce Lee had two facets to his martial arts.

One was the flash stuff you saw in the films which he did because it looked good on screen.

The other was JKD (Jeet Kun Do) which was based on Wing Chun but the modified any added to with whatever he found that worked. It was very close, direct and would have looked impressive on screen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Okay, so maybe we're digressing slightly off topic ;) but Bruce Lee had two facets to his martial arts.

One was the flash stuff you saw in the films which he did because it looked good on screen.

The other was JKD (Jeet Kun Do) which was based on Wing Chun but the modified any added to with whatever he found that worked. It was very close, direct and would have looked impressive on screen.
Yes, but he stole most of his stuff from this bloke. NSFW.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It's a great idea though. Picking the things that you think work best for you from different agencies or training organisations and systems.
The only down side I see to it, is finding someone that uses the same bits you have picked.
You don't have to dive with a buddy that does everything the same way as you.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Do you mean, find your own style or adopt a ready made one and then tinker with it to find the individual style for you?
I would imagine if you did the latter you would not be inclined to tinker, because being ready made its likely to work well so any deviation is going to probably weaken before it strengthens.

The Bruce Lee martial arts analogy is an interesting one. I hear he even adopted a fair bit from the sport of fencing, primarily the the stop hit, some of the foot work and the emphasis on controlling the tempo to control the fight.

Edit: In hindsight probably not the right sub forum for this, happy to move else where if so wished. Maybe he should start a DIR-hybrid sub forum for those who like to cherry pick ;)
Either is good. As long as it's safe, and your buddy (team) understand it.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
But it is alot easier if you have the same dive plan, or the the same gas, or the same deco procedures, don't you think?
Now you're just being mischievous. I was talking about kit config...

Although last year I did a practice dive with a GUE trained diver on his twinset. 30 mins at 45m. He was on Oc and I was on CCR. I just did his deco...
Simples..

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Tuesday I dived in a single tank wing.
Thursday I dived in a bc.
Fortnight ago I dived in a twinset.

Bloody brilliant in all of them, me :)

All of the really good divers I know could dive a plastic bag full of air and a hose pipe. Throw anything at them and they're superbly competent. You never hear them whining about a buckle for 25 pages on the Internetty.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts