YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>AFAIK there's no BSAC qual that allows or doesn't allow deco. I'm BSAC and started doing limited deco dives of only a few mins on air as a sports diver, I then progressed via BSAC & TDI to Adv nitrox to manage them better. I guess it all depends upon experience. That said I wouldn't be caught dead doing long deco dives on anyhting other than a reliable deco, Nitrox comp, that allowed me to switch gases.

The BSAC dive leader and Adv diver concentrate more on safety scenarios and what to do if it all goes tits up rather than how to go about, planning & managing longer deeper dives that involve deco.

You could do the BSAC Adv Nitrox course but my recommendation would be to go the TDI route, (I've done both the BSAC & TDI).

HTH.
gareth

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>deco tables are taught at sports diver so id guess sports diver is the qualification as you used to do a simulated deco dive on the old course
cheers
dave

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>btw
was once told by a tdi instructor that we diddnt have to do deco procedures to go into deco on nitrox because we were already deco trained
also done 50 mins deco on air from a 45 mtrs dive and d/o never said a word so he thought it was ok to do so

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I think its Sports Diver which is why there is simulated deco on the course.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A BSAC Ocean Diver can dive to 20m on dives not requiring mandatory deco stops.

A BSAC Sports Diver can dive to 35m on dives requiring mandatory deco stops.

A BSAC Dive Leader candive to 50m on dives requiring mandatory deco stops.

Hope that helps, but definately get your own computer

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>what training do you actualy have. Im sorry but you got me a bit worried.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Thanks for replies, so it looks like its sports diver, I'm currently padi trained will eventually crossover!
I was only talking about short Deco stops, I was surprised that with just a couple of minutes deco it gave you another 10 minutes downtime!
Steve

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ April 18 2004,17:36)]Thanks for replies, so it looks like its sports diver, I'm currently padi trained will eventually crossover!
I was only talking about short Deco stops, I was surprised that with just a couple of minutes deco it gave you another 10 minutes downtime!
Steve
You'll find that when you switch to a computer, especially if you purchase a nitrox computer & do the relevant course, that the current dive profiles you do, will keep you well in "no stop diving", profile due to the tables being based on a square dive profile.

HTH

gareth

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>er... I may be wrong but I dont think PADI do deco dives. Isnt the wheel thingy a no-stop planner?

If so you need to do a tech course, such as TDI deco procedures soon fella.

Stu.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I think  the answer would be to get a computer....

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ April 18 2004,18:46)]er... I may be wrong but I dont think PADI do deco dives.
All standard PADI dives should be non-decompression dives. If you want to do deco then you will need to take a technical course from TDI, PADI Tec-Rec, etc. or be trained by your BSAC branch.

Doing deco isn't as simple as just using different tables or a computer. The technical deco courses teach other skills such as equipment selection, dive planning and dealing with the problems that missed stops can cause. You will also need to make sure your buoyancy is spot on and your wallet tough enough to take the battering that the training and equipment will require it to take.  

Most deco dives are as simple as ascending as a determined rate and adding extra stops (some on a rich nitrox mix) but its when something goes wrong that the extra equipment and training really pay off.

G

·
Imported post

If you are diving even short deco dives relying on your buddies computer then you need your head examined

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubber Johnny @ April 19 2004,11:19)]If you are diving even short deco dives relying on your buddies computer then you need your head examined
I think you'll find it's...

If you are diving even short deco dives relying on a computer then you need your head examined  

G

·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobK @ April 19 2004,12:51)]If you are diving even short deco dives relying on a computer then you need your head examined  
It really depends on what is meant by "short". I always carry a D timer as well if I expect any more than a few minutes deco and go onto tables and two timers if I expect any more than about 10mins.
 I wouldn't even do a non deco dive to 30m relying on a computer carried on someone elses wrist never mind a deco dive.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>For god sake mate stop arsing about and go and get the right training now whatever the Agency just do it before you get hert or worse.  

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>or at least buy a computer, they're not that expensive and will probably save you the bother for a while.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
Hi if you are diving quite deep its a good idear to get hold of a dive computer even if you borrow it . you might be able to get hold of a second hand if you keep your eyes pealed   as from these  depths it will help you with your assent rate and  give you your deco information .
Fiona.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

As I keep pointing out to people (well I've said it twice on here), there is no allowed/not allowed (AFAIK) only "recommended" against your qualification level. I doubt even a BSAC DO would tell an OWD (BSAC equiv?) with 10  years diving behind him that his max allowable depth is 18 mtrs. For the most part experience is more important than qualifications IMO. Accelerated deco and trimix are excluded from this diatribe.

If you have the experience and confidence with your diving abilities and gas useage that going into deco does not worry you then the decision is yours to take.

Obviously (unless you want to work out your own deco schedules based on trial and error or .....) you will need to get some deco tables. Then you need to think about what happens in an emergency so you need backup.

With ref to a dive computer I have one/use one/love it to bits BUT if doing a deco dive (of more than a few minutes of deco) I carry a set of backup tables and a dive/depth timer (as does every diver I know). You don't have to have a dive computer - a timer and tables are ample if you want to do it that way.

Lastly, I WOULD recommend doing a deco course. I did the TDI course and it was great fun to do and taught me a lot about kit config and redundancy options.

Apologies if I have repeated anything previously said - I am supposed to be working and did not have time to read all replies.

Perhaps I'll see you "hanging around" somewhere  

1 - 20 of 37 Posts