YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I know that Visiting Egypt on a UK passport means you can get a visa "on demand" at customs (for ~£17 I believe), does anyone know if it is any different when travelling on an Irish (ie Eirean) passport?  
The Irish embassy only advises on entry to Ireland and the Egyptian embassy has only pre-recorded messages
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Didn't you know I'm an International Man of Mystery Ben ?, yeah baby yeah...:cool::cheesy:

got a post from a chap who sounds Irish (Paddy diver - good pun!), reckons it's nae bother :biggrin:

(Edited by Steve W at 1:14 pm on Dec. 10, 2002)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

On a related note, was told a story some time ago by someone  or other: two guys diving off Ireland, surfaced and their boat was no-where to be seen as they drifted towards America over an hour or two. A local trawler passed by and one of the crew leaned over to enquire of the divers "Now, you wouldn't be being English now would you..."   Fortunately, at least one of the divers was very obviously Scottish, but they were left in no doubt that this crewman was very serious in his question. I reckon it wouldn't matter if you're a Geordie as we sound foreign anyway :lol2:

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

To be followed by the second question.
"Thats a nice computer on ya mans wrist there. My ma would love that."

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Sorted!!! A week in Sharm with 5 day dive package for £331 (excluding visa for dogdy Geordie/Irish type diver!)Well, it is my bithday this week so I reckon I deserve it
:biggrin:

Chee-az
Steve

PS for any burglars scoping the forum, there'll be a very big and beefy person house-sitting for me so forget it!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

PS for any burglars scoping the forum, there'll be a very big and beefy person house-sitting for me so forget it!

Bugger!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Steve - I believe that all travellers from the EU are permitted to buy a visa on entry. The cost is US&#3615 or stg£14, so if you have any bucks you can save a couple of bob by paying in US. In fact having a few US is useful in Egypt as they are much appreciated by the locals. Keep a few US back for the journey home as you may only be able to purchase beer in the airport from the duty free store - which will rip off yo' ass if you try to pay in £E. Even as I speak I am having a drink from the large bottle of Russian vodka I got for something like US&#366 in the duty free at Hurghada... :boozer:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Good tip Paul, cheers, I will most definately stock up on the old US dollars - ironic innit, the arabs are supposed to despise America but their moneys OK to use, oh well, works for me
Chhe-az
Steve

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

If anyone had flown with Monarch Airlines (esp re weight of dive kit) and/ or dived with Camel dive club I'd be interested to hear any do's & don'ts, pros and cons etc
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Yes mate to both questions. We flew Monarch to Tobago in June this year. If you can, book into the 'Premium' seats: drink your own weight in sherry and top nosebag free. If you're in cattle-class, you'll be dipping you're hand in your pocket for everything.

Camel Dive Club has a top dive centre, hotel, restaraunt and club/pub. Folk go there in the evening, as it's right in the centre of Naama Bay town, even if they're not staying there or diving with them. Open air roof bar too!

You been to Sharm before Steve?? If not and you'd like a heads-up, gizza ring on TEL: 07764 - 174647 and I'll give ya the gravy.

Enjoy mate - I'm not remotely jealous......much ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts