YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting together a trip for my club, but as half of our club are Ocean Divers, I’m looking for decent sites that will allow my Ocean Divers to have fun but without being too deep.

Can anyone recommend sites (or even better, areas that have multiple sites) in the above 20m range?
Preferably on the south coast, but anywhere will be good.

So Far, I know about St Martin’s Haven, Falmouth, Porthkerris and The Farnes, but I’d like to find somewhere a bit closer to London.

I’ve been trying to get boat bookings out of Pagham (For the Mulberry and T Pot wreck etc), but the only people I know who run out there are Wittering Divers and they seem pretty full. Is there anyone else that runs boats out to the Pagham area?

All help will be appreciated. Thanks Chaps.

(p.s, I know there was a post like this recently, but I just can’t find it, sorry.)

(p.p.s, please, don't say Wraysbury :frown:)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Try Littlehampton for the Sussex area. There's a few boats there (Michelle Mary and Our Joy spring to mind. There's a RIB, too). The Portsmouth boats will cover that area, too.

Swanage is good for shallow stuff, lots of reefs and the Valentine Tanks, although tricky to shot, can be stunning, just covered in life.

Wight Spirit at Lymington, good for lots of shallow stuff around the back of the Isle of Wight.

Plenty of stuff around Portland Harbour that is good for ODs.

Find an area, find a boat free and chat to the Skipper. It's the sort of local knowledge that you are paying for :)

HTH,
dan

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Some more Cornwall for you

Port Gaverne - shore dive, nice gully on north side
Newlands - Island, reef dive, all depths down to 40m
Arthurtown - wreck, 15m max, Stepper point
Sicilia - wreck, 12m max, Portcothan
Runswick - wreck, 6-20m, Quies
Park Head Cow & Calf - pinnacle, Park Head
Milky rough - Reef, max 12m
Pol Texas - Reef, 10-25m, Newquay
Newquay Lifeboat slip - shore dive
Bawden Rocks - St Agnes, wall dive, 25m max
Sennen Cove - Shore dive
Lamorna - Shore dive
Raglans Reef - Pinnacle, 6m at the top, Manacles (there are several there)
Falmouth you know about, which should include silver steps, rock island bridge, hera, whelps, old wall, stanwood, eastern narrows.
Hemmick beach, shore dive
Gorran Haven - shore dive
Kanteong Dredger - wreck, Fowey
Talland Bay - shore dive, there is a wreck there too.

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Or, avoiding the Scylla and the JEL: the Glen Strathallen, Abelard, Le Poulmic. All in plymouth sound and can be cracking dives for ocean divers. Maybe try the Mewstone, pier cellars and Cannonball alley for a bit of scenic stuff followed by a drift round the end of the breakwater and then back to the Barbican for a "slap up feed with lashings of ginger beer".

Give Aquanauts a call for a pretty good day out,

HTH
Keith

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts
Swanage: Flur'd'lyes, Valentine tanks and various reefs
Kimmerage: Black Hawk Bow section, Kimmerage nature trail loads of drifts/reefs You need a club rib for these

A few others i'll get me good book out when i get home later.

Dave

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can anyone recommend sites (or even better, areas that have multiple sites) in the above 20m range?
Preferably on the south coast, but anywhere will be good.

So Far, I know about St Martin’s Haven, Falmouth, Porthkerris and The Farnes, but I’d like to find somewhere a bit closer to London.
Mmmmm Cornwarrrlll for the gorgeous stuff, but it doesn't exactly fulfil your "closer to London" requirement, so given that, I'd say Portland. Lots of wrecks in less than 20m to give them something to rummage in (Countess, Spaniard, Landing Craft, Bombardon Unit, Black Hawk bow, James Fennel etc), and some drifty bits for scenic dives (I like White Nothe, Durdle Door, Kimmeridge Ledges, shallow bits of Lulworth Banks, Pulpit Rock).

If you booked with one of the 'shuttle' operators like Breakwater (hardboats) or Fathom & Blues (RIBtastic) that run a number of boats, you could mix & match dives, so the more experienced divers could go offshore for something deeper, the less experienced ones can struggle in a world of silt and you can still all play together on surface intervals and in the pub.

Just a suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts