YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"hardly ever here"
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>just been offered an interview for a summer contract as a 'little tern warden' on the above islands

(i.e. looking after little terns, not a reference to my height)

i take it there's good diving there? should i pack my dive kit if i get the job?

very happy  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,348 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Absolutely! It can get rough some days but whatever direction the wind is in you can always find a sheltered side of the island. Plenty of wrecks to dive on and not a bad selection of life, including seals.

There's one or two very good hard boats there, including YD's very own Yellow Butty Box and Angleseydiver.

I do a lot of diving from the island and have never had a wasted trip. I'd recomend it for the diving, though the locals are extremely anti-English in places. Probably something to do with it being the ancient home of the druids.

Surprised you don't know it. Surely you've been down and burgled a few caravans there?  

·
"hardly ever here"
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Jan. 07 2004,20:15)]Surprised you don't know it. Surely you've been down and burgled a few caravans there?  
nah, nothing worth nicking that far.... i don't normally get past chester - all those BMW hubcaps  

actually, i have been to anglesey before (not for 'work' though!  
) we did some shore diving off holy island, but i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the particular islands above, as that's where i might be living for the summer!

·
Never enough time!!!!
77 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>You're going to be living on the Skerries??

Some of the best diving around Angelsey is up that way - from nice scenic dives to good wrecks, but the currents can be pretty vicious. Depending on what you like the options are almost endless. Shore diving around the Skerries I don't think I'd dream of, but around the Anglesey there are some excellent shore dive sites and even a few shore diveable wrecks....

·
"hardly ever here"
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John_McG @ Jan. 08 2004,09:59)]You're going to be living on the Skerries??

Some of the best diving around Angelsey is up that way - from nice scenic dives to good wrecks, but the currents can be pretty vicious. Depending on what you like the options are almost endless. Shore diving around the Skerries I don't think I'd dream of, but around the Anglesey there are some excellent shore dive sites and even a few shore diveable wrecks....
<font color='#000080'>not sure where i'll be living at the moment (zero infomation on the job as yet), but if i get the job i'd be wardening the tern colonies there (pretty full-time!). is there any infrastructure on the islands? if so they may provide accommodation, if not they might boat me out every day. how cool?!  

would be good living near so much good diving though.....  my only problem would be finding buddies.....  

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Errr....that'd be a serious YES then!!

We have two of Anglesey's finest dive-boat skippers here on this very site - and both of them divers: Elfyn Jones (has a new boat out of Amlwch Port), goes by 'Yellow Butty Box' on YD, and his very good oppo in arms Terry (skipper of the 'Julie-Anne' out of Amlwch Port), goes by 'Anglesey Diver' on YD.

The diving off Anglesey is good all year round and you're always assured, more often than not, a dive, regardless of weather; it can be blowing a hoolly on one side of the island (sea-state 5, completely blown out) and mill-pond calm on the other side! It's blessed.

It has shed-loads of wrecks in all depths, from 6 metres to 70+ metres and some massively beautiful scenic stuff to boot. The last dive we did there, on one dive, Jay, 2Tanx and myself saw dog-fish so placid they stopped, checked their make-up and allowed us to take many photos; two large spider crabs who were embroiled in a turf-war (both in bandanas, tattoos, flick-knives - you get the picture!), lobbies and all manner of fish!

So a qualified YES! Get your aris over to Anglesey soonest! Trearddur Bay, too, is beauty incarnate during the summer - the first time I saw the place I thought: "Umm, 'holiday home'!"

And if you speak to Daz and the Massive, they will tell you about the superb shore-diving to had all round the island to boot. So in effect, you're spoilt!

Get in amongst it! You know you're gagging for it!

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,597 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Read in this weeks local rag that the accomodation for the Skerries Tern-wardens has just been renovated (can't check for details- paper's been binned)....... so it looks like you'll be marooned on the island. A mix of heaven and hell for you Kate....there are great wrecks and scenic dives all round the island  
but it's much too tidal for shore-diving  
 apart from the little bay in the north where all the seals hang-out  
but that's within the scope of the protected historic wreck Mary so you can't dive in it  
 but then you'll have the great scenery and wildlife to compensate.IIRC the wardens do a rota of a week on and a week off so you should get lots of diving opportunities  

ATB,
       Terry

·
"hardly ever here"
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (angleseydiver @ Jan. 08 2004,22:17)]Read in this weeks local rag that the accomodation for the Skerries Tern-wardens has just been renovated (can't check for details- paper's been binned)....... so it looks like you'll be marooned on the island. A mix of heaven and hell for you Kate....there are great wrecks and scenic dives all round the island  
but it's much too tidal for shore-diving  
 apart from the little bay in the north where all the seals hang-out  
but that's within the scope of the protected historic wreck Mary so you can't dive in it  
 but then you'll have the great scenery and wildlife to compensate.IIRC the wardens do a rota of a week on and a week off so you should get lots of diving opportunities  

ATB,
       Terry
<font color='#000080'>just how fantastic is this website? not only is it a laugh and full if diving stuff, but you can also get useful information on potential jobs!!

thanks a lot terry, that's really good info to have, much appreciated  

kate

·
Never enough time!!!!
77 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>There is no 'infrastructure' on the island at all Kate...  it's a few tiny bits of rock with a lighthouse and just about nothing else...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Skerries are a group of sparsely vegetated islets, 17 ha in extent. They are protected by strong currents but are very exposed to strong westerly and northerly winds. The site is of importance for four species of breeding terns. The three separate areas are treated as a single site as a consequence of regular movement by birds between the component parts.  
Some Skerries Info - mainly about the lighthouse

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Contractor Linford Group has completed the restoration of a grade II-listed lighthouse cottage on Skerries Island seven miles off Anglesey. The project was jointly funded by the Welsh Historic Monuments Organisation and Trinity House Lighthouse Services, which bought the Skerries Island lighthouse in 1841. The cottage has been restored to what it was like in the 1830s. A five-strong team from Faenol Linford in Bangor lived five days a week on the island, staying in the lighthouse, to complete the work on the cottage. Equipment and materials were taken in by helicopter and by boat.

I've got too much time on my hands these last few days!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Imported post

One question are the little terns amphibious ? then all your time could be spent diving. I guess you could invent a new spieces of Tern by strapping Action man scuba gear to the critters.
Down side to you finding new Species of Underwater Terns are that all the Twitchers will arrive and then turn where we dive into a bird sanctuary with no boats allowed to aproach within 2 miles of cliff faces.
If you do find underwater terns , keep it quiet .

·
1,770 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>You knwo what they say tho'

One good Tern deserves another ...

Coat on and out the door ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.