YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Am looking for some good diving associated reads. Have read `the last dive` by bernie chowdhury and `goldfinder` by keith jessup.

What would you recommend......gotta include diving and preferably non fiction

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Neutral Bouyancy - by Tim Ecott.

Flits between his diving experiences and other bits related to diving. I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

I can highly recommend 'The Man Who Bought a Navy', by Gerald Bowman. It tells the engrossing story of the guy that bought and salvaged most of the German Imperial High Seas Fleet that was scuttled in Scapa Flow after the 1st World War. The diving is all done in 'Standard' kit, but nonetheless a reet good read for that! Talk about daring-do!

Enjoy.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Have you tried The Silent World by Cousteau.
How it all started for us.... if not quite Genesis fairly close.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

Hi

For a general history of diving, you might want to take a look at STARS BENEATH THE SEA, by Trevor Norton.  I thought that it was an excellent book, not technical so it's an easy read (I read it so it must be!).  It starts with the guys who went in the water with an inverted bucket on their head and progresses right through to modern times.

Cheers,  John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

Hi

For a general history of diving, you might want to take a look at STARS BENEATH THE SEA, by Trevor Norton.  I thought that it was an excellent book, not technical so it's an easy read (I read it so it must be!).  It starts with the guys who went in the water with an inverted bucket on their head and progresses right through to modern times.

Cheers,  John

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I've got a few recommendations:

I agree with Timing..Neutral Buoyancy was a good read...interesting to learn of other's experiences.

Also,

An Introduction to Technical Diving by Rob Palmer...very good.

The Essentials of Deeper Diving...John Lippman

The Cave Divers by Robert Burgess (a history of American cave diving)

The Darkness Beckons by Martyn Farr (a history of cave diving)

OK..some of these might not be generally your cup of tea but for me it's great to learn about all aspects of technical diving...it can only help but may also open the way to new areas of diving...as it has me.

The Martyn Farr book is really excellent, but then I wanted to read it, you may not, and in any case, I'm going diving with him in 5 weeks in some caves in Wales so I have to read it before I dive with him so that I know what to expect....I'm getting nervous.

I have some other stuff on order..mainly geared towards cavern and cave diving but the great thing is you can learn stuff from these for your extended open water diving, deco dives, wreck penetration etc. I can let you know about these.

Finally (phew you say) I have general guides to diving around the world....really for choosing your next dive holiday....again, let me know if you want details.

Kinetic

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Divers by Jon May,it's the story of a Life Support Teccnician working in the Diving industry.I know it's not aboutscuba but it's soooooooooo absorbing,even my ex wife read it in a day and if you could'nt do it in high heels she was'nt interested!
Under the Red Sea,Hans Hass.
The Frogmen,by Waldron and ?Gleeson.Ask Bren as he's got it too,a real eye opener.About the 1st British Frogmen and how their training "developed" in the war,scary stuff.
Hobby.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ May 21 2003,14:25)]The Martyn Farr book is really excellent, but then I wanted to read it, you may not, and in any case, I'm going diving with him in 5 weeks in some caves in Wales so I have to read it before I dive with him so that I know what to expect....I'm getting nervous.
Hi Kinetic,

be good to hear your experiences once you've finally done the course.  

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Tim,

Certainly will do...I shall do a report of the whole trip.

BUT..in case you are interested, here's his website

http://www.farrworld.co.uk

Just so you know, I'm kicking off with the basic cavern course, you'll find it shown on his site and also, a number of books, including the one I previously mentioned.

Cheers for now.

Kinetic

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

I agree with Hobby's Under the Red Sea by Hand Hass - chasing round at 60 feet on pure O2.
The attitudes are interesting too. All colonial and not at all PC

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The Grand Scuttle by someone I can't remember. Surprisingly enough it's about Scapa Flow.

I disagree about Tim Ecotts "Neutral Buoyancy", Personally I thought it was pi*h

Pointless fact # 1, Do you know the Admiral actually said "I think it's time for a subtle retreat" and not "I think it's time to scuttle the fleet". Only he was misheard.

Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Now-now, Peter. Stop telling porkies!

You know you can't read!  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Definately Tim Ecott's book neutral buoyancy,It's really good
Jules

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>ship of gold (isbn 0316647144)
true story of gold rush boat sinking in1857.
then onto modern day salvors trying to recover the gold.
excellent read

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

OK...Tim Ecott's book took a while to get into but all in all I enjoyed it (my wife gave it to me for Christmas so I had to be enthusiastic)...but then I enjoy any book as long as it's not crap....lol.

peterk, did you know he's a YDiver and he'll probably be well pissed off having heard your review of his book...lol....

"subtle retreat"...that was quite funny...but when I read it quickly I thought it said "scuttle the fleet"...obviously the same thing happens when said/written in German.

K

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Have to agree with Markg-" Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea"
about the SS Central America,  "experts" said it couldn't be done so this chap went and did it- inspirational!
ATB,
          Terry

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

'Andrea Doria - Dive to an Era' by Gary Gentile.
A little bit dated now but interesting nonetheless.
And slightly off-topic (or offbeat) a book simply called 'Cod', can't remember who it's by, but surprisingly interesting history of the cod fishing industry.
'Deeper into Diving' is s'posed to be good too, but I haven't read it and it's currently awaiting a reprint.
Robert

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>The Fireside Diver - a nice collection of dive stories. Borrow it don't bother buying it.

Ecott's book is OK but he always was a lousy journalist and the book itself is confused and rambling. A better editor would have improved it.

The Man Who Bought a Navy - fine book.

The Last Dive - remarkable story badly told

Deep Descent - Chilling tales about the Doria - bit too American for me but still worth a read.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Deep desent - fantastic,
Caverns Measureless to man  SE - fantastic,
Blue print ot survival, SE
Gold Finder or digger or something. pretty good,
Navy Diver (think its called) is fairly good.

But the best diving book from a reading point of view I ever read was Last Dive, The rest are good but not quite a page turner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts