YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK so I think we are agreed, getting slaughtered beore a dive is NOT a good idea, not getting slaughtered and telling everyone you did is NOT a good idea. Time for some good ideas - lets all go to Anglesey and DIVE. Yeahhhhhh!!!
You lucky buggers I cant make it -- sob, sob.
Have fun, bury the hatchet and make live dive Gods yeah.
Matt
Bastards all of you that go!! ;-)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Come on Matt....you know you want to......there is room in Delilah for ya!

This way lies temptation.....

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Oh you tease, yes I do want to go....
But I'd only want to do the Sunday (9th March) dives, now if anybody lives near me and wants to share costs etc then ....
(Harpenden/Herts/Luton area) just off the M1 (jnct 10 I think - never noticed which one.)
Matt

(Edited by MATTBIN at 3:03 pm on Jan. 31, 2003)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

What, as in you can only travel up Saturday, or as in type of dives?

If you can come up on the Friday we can give you a lift.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

I can probably travel up Saturday evening, dive Sunday, travel home Sunday but I cant travel up on the Friday night.
boo hooo.
Matt

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Then get your arse on the Sunday gig and join the troop festivities by traveliing up on the Saturday!!!

Come on Matt - you know want it!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

You should count yourselves lucky that you all have the option to go on these lovely trips!!  Poor old me is stuck on a (sometimes pleasant) little rock in the middle of the channel and cannot go on any of them!!  (sob sob etc)

I would dearly love to go with some of y'all but am financially and hassley (there should be such a word) prohibited.  If that weren't enough, I've not been diving since before Christmas because the weather is terrible, my two regular buddies are away or sick, two of the local dive boats are out of the water and we have no inland sites or even a pool to practice in. (toys now departing pram).

I feel truly sorry for myself, I really do!!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Well perhaps we could organize another trip and we'll come to you ! Any campsites or  B&Bs on Guernsey, or is it too posh for mainland folk?
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Guernsey's not a bad idea actually Steve, let me work on it!

Come on MATT !!  We're waiting ?!

To dive, or not dive (at Anglesey).....that is the question!

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

I'm working on it. When's the latest you need to know Bren.
Bugger now I need to read about accomodation/scoff plans, oh why cant I just say NO.
All the willpower of a sponge.

Matt

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

Now there's an idea!

There are at least two campsites on each of the islands so plenty of options there.

Be aware though, that we all use solid gold valves over here and you won't be allowed on the place without an official title!  Seriously though, I could forward some details to Bren as it can be a cracking place to visit for a while in the summer - especially if you like water and pubs.!

Got to log off now chaps so see y'all later

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Matt,
Is this going to be your first non-muddypond dive.
BEWARE- There is huge scary animals out there just waiting to creep up behind you and bite ye on the bum. Godzilla's BIG brother was last seen just off Cork harbour heading in the direction of Anglesey. He looked pissed off and hungry as well. Muttering something about Binnie-Burgers for his main course and Matt-Muffins for afters, all washed down with a nice glass of Chatuea le Aquabin(1998 vintage). You have been warned my good man....

Peter  

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Pete
hard to believe I know but half my dives have been in the Sea and half (to get me used to UK conditions) in the muddy puddle. I did my OW in Lanzarote (all Sea dives except pool stuff), the following Easter Lanzarote again (inc. Mala - stunning 30 odd mtr drop-off plus heavy surge) and then last Summer (AOW) south of France Sea dives of a RIB (including an aborted dive as the wetaher turned into a force 8), colder and less viz than Lanzarote and heavy current. So I think I've gone down the training route in a fairly structured way. I've learnt to deploy SMB and fly the dry-suit specifically to do UK Sea dives. Now arent I the sensible one? So I am really up for UK dives this year, but they will be limited to 25m max if I'm with my boy. If I'm on my own and the conditions are OK I might be tempted to go a bit lower (maybe 35m).
Thanks for the concern Pete.
Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

That'll be me told then. It was kinda funny though.

Peter

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

I thought so too, otherwise I might have responded less politely. Now all I need is for one of you Southern YD lot to accompany me to Anglesey for a single days dive over the 8/9 March as I cant do a full weekend but would like to do a days diving on this mass gig. Might even be tempted to stay over one night rather than drive it in one day, any takers. Dont mind which day, proably do the rib, rather than shore dive, if there's a space or two left.
Located Harpenden so Luton is close.
Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

You lucky sods! I dived in our local fiord last evening - air temp minus 7 degrees, surface water temp zero, warmest (at 30 m) 4 degrees. Anglesey,  if only ..............................
PS Matt, do it for me!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

At last, I found this bloody thread again - couldn't for the life of me remember where we were talking about all this!

I've never actually dived in any sort of inland/pond-like place at all, although I spose it would be good to give it a go some time.  I'll stick with my (regrettably sporadic) ocean diving for the time being and hope that at some point in the not-too-distant future I can afford to get over there and see a few of you at places like the legendary Stoney etc.  Would love a trip up the far North too, as I'm fairly certain the Scottish crowd have it good up there!

Can't really find any good sites to tell you what Channel Island Diving is like and to be honest, I've barely scratched the surface myself.  After the NITROX course, I'll be able to get to some better things I hope (and for longer)!!

http://www.guernseytouristboard.com/
http://www.divernet.com/travel/supp199/guernsey.htm
<a href="http://website.lineone.net/~reivers.sac/dive_guernsey/diving.htm

Few" target="_blank">http://website.lineone.net/~reivers.sac/dive_guernsey/diving.htm

Few</a> links there that give an idea, but nothing great unfortunately!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Ralphy mate,

Please keep them coming and good luck on the EnO2 course.

Actually, there's a question! I can't really put links to Guernsey in the 'UK Sites' scetion can I?? Doesn't fall under the remit of the UK - indeed, it's only because HRH The Queen is Duke of Burgundy that we own the Channel Islands at all!!

Sorry Ralphy mate - you'll have to remain 'stateless' and in geo-political limbo for the time being! ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts