YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Good luck and best wishes for a full and speedy receovery.

Helen xxx

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
All the best Simon, you've done well to get the op so quickly. Hope you're fit and diving again soon!

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
You are a braver man that me Simon. At the start of this year a neuro surgeon gave me two choices - Have an operation to fix the discs, or go home, take some pills and hope it fixes itself.

The thought of someone putting a scalpel near my spine was too scary, so I choose the second option.

I do hope it goes well for you and it brings the relief you desire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's very little need to be scared of the op these days, it's one of the best things that I've ever done, the op was easy, and the recovery was quick and almost painless, I did'nt take any painkillers at all after I came out of surgery, and as I said on the other post, I was back at work (Plastering) albeit gently, 28 days after surgery. and 5 years on, I rarely get any back probs.

You are a braver man that me Simon. At the start of this year a neuro surgeon gave me two choices - Have an operation to fix the discs, or go home, take some pills and hope it fixes itself.

The thought of someone putting a scalpel near my spine was too scary, so I choose the second option.

I do hope it goes well for you and it brings the relief you desire.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I actually first learned to dive on a week long crash course just before I had the same operation. It was something I always wanted to do and thought I'd best get on with it just in case the op went wrong and I couldn't do it afterwards. Looking in my logbook I was back in the water 3 months to the day after my operation - and still going strong.

Good luck with a speedy recovery!

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Thanks guys!

Thanks for all your very kind words - can honestly say it means quite a lot to me. :boy_hug:

Am now back at home after my op on Saturday and as Jim said in the previous thread, the most amazing thing is waking up to no pain in my left leg. Fantastic; as I have not been able to do the most simple things such as put on socks for the last ten weeks.

However, I know this only the start of the recovery (as the pain in the leg was just received pain) and it is my back that needs the TLC. So the wise words award goes to Frosty (with the don't hurry back advice until you are ready). I have a trip planned in July out of Hayle, which is a new location for me, so I'll be aiming for that.

I have also learned a couple of things during my stay in hospital:

1. Hospital staff are bloody fantastic and we should be doing everything we can to support the folk on the front line.

2. There is always someone in the next bed who is in a worse off position than you - so be thankful for small mercies

3. It took me longer to read Hello magazine than it did to read Dive magazine..... :embarassed:

Cheers

Snash

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
3. It took me longer to read Hello magazine than it did to read Dive magazine..... :embarassed:

Cheers

Snash
Is that the new NHS anaestetic (sp?) these days. Glad the op went well, best wishes for a speedy and smooth recovery, back pain is no joke,

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Was that because most men can't read Hello, without throwing up after every page or so ? :)

Make sure that you do all of the exercises that they give you to do, when you leave the hospital, they really are quite important, and do actually help a lot with balance and movement recovery, even if you do feel a bit of a twit doing them :)

Cheers

Snash

1 - 12 of 12 Posts