YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi there,

I'm just in the process of starting a diving course (PADI open water), any chance you guys can list some url's for shops that are reliable and have a good layout so i can take a look and decide what to buy.

I just got my fins, mask and snorkel, and will be looking to get some more gear in the next month or 2(when i hopefully pass the course)

And has any one seen any good packages for bcd's/regs any where.

ta in advance

Andy

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

I have dealt with three - Divers Warehouse, Denney Diving and Go Dive.
Prices are similar, offer next day delivery and, if you get the right person on the phone, some quick advice. But it is often quick and assumes that you know pretty much what you are after. If you are unsure then I'd recommend a personal visit but the online prices can be lower. So look, ask, decide, go home and get on line.
Some overseas companies (Dive In or something) seem cheap but I would be wary of the warranty situation) Good luck.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

A quick piece of advice. (Rocking Chair Ahoy)

You obviously need to know what you want before you get it, and with the wide range of choice, and if it's your first rig, then you are better off getting it from a local dive shop as you get the local help and support, plus you know you can arrange servicing, testing etc..

If you live anywhere near Bradford (I live near Filey, but do travel there to get kit if necessary) I would recommend visiting the guys at Divers Warehouse. Either that or get one of the current mags and flip to the back pages where there's an index of dive shops. Not all of them are in there, but it's a start. Yellow pages will usually have some too.

EIther that or let us know where you are near and I'll find a couple for you.

I do agree that buying the gear over the net sounds enticing, especially if the prices are significantly lower, but I would only recommend that to people who know what they want (i.e. your replacement kit a few years down the line...)

As for on the net, there's two I use to get stuff. www.simplyscuba.co.uk which is based darn sarf, who are pretty good (and for those of us who are PADI instructors, you get a discount). I've used DiveInn (www.diveinn.com) a few times and the kit was always 1st Class with fast delivery. They're based in L'Estartit in Spain, but have a fantastic range of gear at prices which make the UK retailers wince (ergo why they've a bad reputation here - I remember remarking to someone that I'd been looking at DiveInn and he went on a ramble about how they're killing UK dive shops...). They now do loads of freediving stuff so I usually get that from there as there isn't any freediving shops near here!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Judging by the current climate here I think I can anticipate some of the comments; someone recently said  "buy kit you'll grow into, not out of". So having said that you'll probbly find folk will advise you thus: Suit: membrane drysuit
BCD: Wing with Stainless steel backplate
Tanks: Twins (7's, 10's or 12's)
Regs: I think apex's are fairly favourite at the moment, reliable, relatively good value and big thumbs-up from DIR & BSAC folk

Fins - well you've got them already but you would have probably been advised to get rubber ones, either the relatively heavy Jet-fins or the lighter split-fin design.

Anyhoo, don't be afraid to ask 'cos there's nowt divers like better as a close second to diving than talking about kit.
Re on line suppliers - half the fun of buying kit is looking around the store (I love the smell of neoprene in the morning, smells like....), but be warned - give your credit card to someone else to hold for you! Kit Fever can be detrimental to relationships, Right guys?
Typically, Diverswarehouse is the usual receptacle for my spondoolix
HTH
Steve
oops! forgot URL www.diverswarehouse.co.uk

(Edited by Steve W at 11:40 am on Jan. 16, 2003)

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I'd mirror everything the guys above have said.  With maybe one caveat - don't buy anything on Impulse - down that path lies certain dissapointment.  I keep telling myself this and constantly let myself down.

Don't dismiss second-hand kit either.

I've recently discovered the joys of Divers Warehouse but I'd also take a look at SDS Watersports in Sheffield and not far from the M1.  The website isn't great but the store is big and they have a price matching agreement - so, see it cheaper in Devon and go to SDS and get it cheap there too.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I agree with all the postings recommending Divers Warehouse. They are very good and seem to have just about everything, although not everything is listed on their webiste. If you can't find what you want there, just ring and ask. They are very helpful.
Go-Dive are said to be cheapest for Apex regs. Their web adress is http://www.divebox.co.uk The site is a shambles but they are cheap for certain items,including cylinders. I've never dealt with them though.
The main thing, as others have said, is that you've got to know exactly what you want if you are going to buy online.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Also Robin Hood Watersports used to do a nifty little intrest free credit dodge, ie if you didn't payup by 9 months then you paid interest, bit like Dixons et al.
Don't know if that's still on the table though.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

now that's just an excuse for us to spend spend spend innit?I can just hear the excuses to the "other halves" "But it's cheaper if I spend more money, honest..."

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

The only thing I would add is;

1: Dry Suit - whatever you feel most comfortable in (not necessarily membrane....). I have both, and either of them have plus and minus points.
2: BCD / Tanks. I've been diving since I was 14 (15 years), and I've only recently had the urge to switch to a twinset.
If you're just starting out, I'd recommend you use single cylinder (12L or 15L) as that is what everyone else you dive with will most likely use. A twinset for an OW diver or even an AdvancedOW is overkill to the extreme (and possibly even for a Rescue Diver).
As for BC - again, some people like Wings, some people like regular BCD's. You're best trying out a variety of kit and working out what you like the most.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

Many thanks for your reply's guys (and gals, dunno u lot that well yet
) i'll take a look around at the sites mentioned. I live in rotherham and work in Huddersfield so i can get to most places in Yorkshire quite easily, and I'm doing my course at Robin Hood watersports so i'll have a look at the interest free offer.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

Roho have a large range of gear - I'm sure if you're doing the course with them (in their pool?) then you're likely to be able to coerce them into letting you try gear out - especially if they think there's a sale in there...

Mark.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

Yup, it's in their pool, and i just got my fins, mask and snorkel off them they seem to be very good and i got lots of advice off them.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from bantam on 2:07 pm on Jan. 16, 2003
A twinset for an OW diver or even an AdvancedOW is overkill to the extreme (and possibly even for a Rescue Diver).
<span =''>

care to expand on that one banty old boy?  I was OW for years and now am only just AOW but have been on twins for some time.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

Andy,

An OW or AOW in your position with 100+ dives is a little different to someone who has never been in the water before.
I take it you didn't start straight away with 2 Tanks? You learnt initially on one and it wasn't until you were comfortable on that one that you migrated to 2?

Taking it into account, with what his peers will be using, and what I was taught to evaluate for the situation as a Divemaster, for the time being it's not worth thinking about Twins in his situation.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

What ? you mean Andy 2Ts wasn't born wearing his twinset...?   ;)

Getting back to the thread, I think there's been a minor misunderstanding;  it was me who mentioned that twins were what would probably be the general suggestion from others here in terms of growing into kit, rather than an actual recommendation to buy a twinset. Even though I wrote that post I wouldn't necesarilly claim that all of those features would be my personal recommendation to a newbie, in reality I'd recommend that they beg and borrow kit till they know for sure they're going to stick at it.
Having instructed with a Uni club for several years I've seen folk buy all new kit at the start and then simply lose interest leaving a grand's worth of kit cluttering up the dive store, very sad indeed...

I tend to agree with you that I wouldn't generally advise a newbie to get twinned up (you need things to look forward to) but thinking about it objectively, in my experience, many trainees in their early stages opt for a 15 litre when there's one available as they get upset about their comparitively high gas consumption, I know at least one lad with twin 7s and they don't seem any heavier than a single 15 so I don't think that'd be such a bad choice (assuming money wasn't a factor).

IMO, more important is the choice of BCD, I use a wing and many folks would also recommend one for a beginner (re futureproofing), but I don't think many folk would argue when I say that they are more problematic in terms of setting up, unlike a stab jacket.

When I were a lad I started diving with 8mm neoprene, club 200 bar 10 litre, old club Spiro, plastic BP & Buddy ABLJ , an pay t'mill owner fer permission t'come t'work  ;)

Say, Andrew, assuming that RoHo doesn't sort you out with kit trials theirselves, depending on your size and location if you like we can met up at a suitable hole-in-the-ground for you to try some differnt kit before you splash your cash, for instance if you're under 5'8" with size 8 feet you can try my 8mm neoprene, I've got my old stab & single setup which my girlfriend uses so you can try that and you could try my wing for a second dive.

Anyway, let us know how you get on with your training
Chee-az
Steve

PS Tim, I haven't forgotten that I said you could try a spin with the twins too, but I still need to get the rig configured properly

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Imported post

Many thanks Steve, but i'm 6 feet 4 inches and have size 13 feet so i'm a large bugger!!

You could help me by telling me what the difference between a wing and a stab jacket (i presume a stab jacket is a standard bcd)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

You assume right, Andrew.
I hate to argue with Steve but I wouldn't recommend a wing BC for a new diver. I've recently changed to a wing (DiveRite Transpac II) and love it but I've been diving for 14 years and done over 1200 dives. I think most people would agree with me that an ordinary BC is easier to use for a new diver. In fact, you'll be fine with an ordinary BC for a good while, in my opinion. You needn't wait 14 years, though :wink:

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

For my two penneth, I agree with John and Bantam, I'd keep away from twins and maybe, just maybe the wings at first, I would however suggest Diverswarehouse for a talk. Have in mind a list of prices that other stores charge, the price asked at other shops is usually matched, but only if you ask

1 - 19 of 19 Posts