YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
need to get diving again
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i'm a padi advance ow an nitrox diver an am looking to do some easyish uk wrecks dont care where in the uk there are, looking at puttin a list together for this year an next

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I'll second the James Eagan Layne.

The Bay Gianto from Lyme Regis is also a great dive. Rather flat, but boilers, engine and spare prop are easily seen. Fish life is also usually very good.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
The Hera out of Falmouth. Pretty little wreck and nice and shallow, so lots of time. It really is one of my favourites.

Worth visiting the Sound of Mull for some nice, not too taxing wreck diving, including the Hispania.

·
Has a twinset - now for the pearls...
588 Posts
The Countess in portland harbour
If you're in Portland to do the Countess of Erne may I also recommend (if the viz is good at the time) the Spaniard - also known as the Enecuri which is nearby and a lovely little wreck dive in the right conditions.

If you're coming further east - Dover way then I'd recommend The Loanda, details here... Canterbury Divers - Dover Wrecks

·
need to get diving again
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm in kent a fair bit still got most my family in folkestone an deal

·
Has a twinset - now for the pearls...
588 Posts
i'm in kent a fair bit still got most my family in folkestone an deal
Perfect - drop by to one of our pool sessions in Canterbury if you fancy to say hi and see if we've any diving going on next time you'rew in the area. We're at Kingsmead Swimming Pool every Thursday at about 8.30ish and are a very friendly and approachable bunch on the whole! Have a shuftie round our website, it's loads of information about local Channel diving. Or PM me if you want to know more.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
The Countess in portland harbour
If you're in Portland to do the Countess of Erne may I also recommend (if the viz is good at the time) the Spaniard - also known as the Enecuri which is nearby and a lovely little wreck dive in the right conditions.

If you're coming further east - Dover way then I'd recommend The Loanda, details here... Canterbury Divers - Dover Wrecks
And while you're there there is the Bombardon Unit Bombardon Unit, Portland harbour - South West Mafia

Alot of people look down on the harbour wrecks, but they can make great dives.

·
Registered
526 Posts
you must let me know the type of diving you like and I can suggest some things to do. because I have a boat in Folkestone Harbour and dive out of Dover we have a boat there to let me know the type of diving you want to do and I may be able to help you out

·
need to get diving again
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just good easy to do wreck dives.. want to build on my uk diving this year an next

·
Registered
526 Posts
Then I suggest the brazen. Pomerania. Lusitania. SS Strathclyde. tees wood the monarch that anglia i suggest you buy the book called divekent and have a good read

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Then I suggest the brazen. Pomerania. Lusitania. SS Strathclyde. tees wood the monarch that anglia i suggest you buy the book called divekent and have a good read

Don't forget the loanda.

But what ever you do check out the viz first before you book.

I dived the Countess in 15m in "dive by touch" viz and accidentally went inside it so it was for me a scary dive at the time. Depth alone does not make a dive easy. Some of the scariest dives i have done were shallow and some of the easiest and most pleasant were very deep indeed.

ATB

Mark

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Equally I have dived the Countess in 15m viz and it was fantastic. Of course conditions play their part, it would be daft to assume otherwise. However suggesting that a deep dive is easy because it is relaxed for you is not really applicable to an AOW diver for whom the techniques are currently beyond their knowledge or skill levels.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
In Cornwall we have some well dived wrecks and some very nice wrecks in the depths you're interested in i.e. <30m. The most obvious are the James Egan Layne and Scylla both are very good but the JEL is more realistic as a wreck. We also have, in that area, the Rosehill. Move further west and there's the Kanteong Dredger @ Fowey and Hera @ Gull Rock both shallow and covered in life. Out of Falmouth we have Epsilon, Caroni Rivers, NG Petersen & Stanwood. There are a lot more which are just lumps of metal like the Rock Island Bridge, Ponus, Andromeda, Bay of Panama & the Leon Martin. The Hera can be dived from Falmouth as can the Volnay & Mohegan wrecks on the east of the Lizard. The Mohegan is on the Manacles with 49 other wrecks including HMS Primrose, Lady Dalhousie & the Spyridion Vagliano. Around the corner there is the Carmarthen and a little further, the City of Ghent. Penzance area has a lot to dive including the Alice Marie and HMS Warspite (not really worth it). On the Runnelstone there is the City of Westminster. Around to the north coast and there a some nice dives out of St Ives like the St Chamond (train wreck). Newquay has the Syracusa. Padstow/Rock has the Arthurtown, Runswick & my favourite, the Sphene. If I have missed any out that is because there are 1000's more but all these wrecks are dived on a regular basis by locals and tourists.

All the above are interesting, the best in my opinion are the JEL & Sphene.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
And in a few weeks Okeanos will be able to take you to them on his RIB, when it is relaunched

See his Atlantic Scuba site for more info ;)

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
The Kimya is very nice at Anglesey - relatively intact and just breaks the surface at low water, and can even be seen on google earth... also some other good wrecks I've heard around Anglesey and Wales.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
And in a few weeks Okeanos will be able to take you to them on his RIB, when it is relaunched

See his Atlantic Diver site for more info ;)
Atlantic Scuba Lou not Diver, That's Chris Lowe in Newquay!

I bloody hope it'll be soon, still not heard back from the engine guy :(

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Just a quick thought - Port Napier - ideal wreck for everyone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts