YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
do you hear boats?...I hear boats
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Just thought I would create a thread for people who use GoPro. I use mine (an older Hero1) to record dives and use Adobe Premier to edit them down before posting them on Youtube.

I use an old canoe helmet (an AP1000) as preferred by UK cave divers as there are very little bouyancy characteristics (and no foam) with a few lights tied onto the sides. I use tracing paper on two of the torches inside the head and white polythene held on with rubber bands on another two to act as diffusers.

Again all head mounted, which is great for me.

Anyway here is a link to about 20 dives which I've posted (some in the UK - mostly Scotland and some in Egypt)

stirlingscuba's Channel - YouTube

I'd be really interested to hear from other people using these cameras, compare footage, get some tips etc etc

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
sounds like a good improvise, adapt and overcome concept

what did the setup cost ya?

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paulo - the helmet cost £30, the GoPro was about £180 and I got a different housing from a company called Sartek as the Go Pro lens blurs footage underwater slightly. There's another company called Eye of Mine that do a similar thing. The torches were just a collection I had - 2 Scubapro Fuegos which you can get for £25 if you look carefully and some old Aquastars. I'm only certified to go to 40m and so for that kind of diving the setup is fine.

The GoPro is very easy to use and I believe the new one has a better interface and improved light handling capabilities (maybe someone else can comment on that) - any low light or night dives and you are struggling to get decent results. All in all I can film 3x 40minute dives a day before the battery runs out, there's still plenty of space on the card. All the footage is proper HD 1080 - the stills are only 5 megapixel.

Hope that tells you what you need.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
For those specs and those prices it seems like your like your doing pretty ok. Iv been looking for something to replace my broken camera and something i could use on my kayak. Thi might fit both bills.

Thanks

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Paulo - I can't remember what it's called but I do know there is a "surfer" version where you can attach it to the surfboard and film yourself - wouldn't look so good if I tried it but it would probably be well suited to being attached to a kayak.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I will be able to report on the Hero2 after Christmas as one is sitting wrapped under the tree with my name on it....how cruel is that!

The water temp will be down to 25degC by then but I will brave it for the useage review :)

Neil

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one Neil - you can sneak it out from under the tree - we're not going to tell anyone ;)

Seriously though will be great if you can send some links to some of the images and videos you get from it. Very interested to see how the supplied housing compares with the HERO1 with and what difference in quality there is in low level (cave/night) conditions.

There's also talk of a new GoPro underwater housing specifically for scuba diving coming out early next year, so if anybody has news on that please post here.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
had a reread of your posts there irnbru as last night i was after a few :beer: :beer: :tongue:

any chance you could put up a picture of your set up please? I think I can visualise what it looks like but just wanna be sure before i invest half a week's wages.

do you think there would be any way to mount it other than on your head so as to eliminate the bubbles?

in the video link above do the light levels seem quite good, i know its the red sea and you seem very shallow, id say less than 10m? but whats the quality like in the colder murkier nearer to home?

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi - yes will post some pictures probably over the weekend. If you look further down the youtube list or go to the channel youtube.com/stirlingscuba you will see videos from the Thesis, Breda, St. Abbs (Big Green Carr, Black Carr, Tye's Tunnel, and Seagul Rock), and a few scenic dives in the Sound of Mull, should give you an idea. Remember my camera is a Hero1 the Hero2 is out now with better light/low light handling capabilities (supposedly).

Here's one from UK (Thesis) Wreck of the SS Thesis, 28th August 2011 - YouTube

And one dark one from Egypt (Thislegorm) Wreck of the Thistlegorm at Sha' ab Ali, Egypt - 20th Novemeber 2011 - YouTube
As for mounting it elsewhere, you can get wrist mounts from GoPro or you could take a look at the Sartek site for idea of how to make a small hand held rig - if you have £££ you can buy one from Sartek.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Thank for the advice.

Sorry for all the questions here, starting to become like the spanish inquisition but .... Have you had any difficulties using a head mounted camera and doing mask drills as well?

Thanks for all the info

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi - no problem, that's why I created this page :)

I'm able to clear my mask no problem at all and you don't run the risk of it being kicked off. Obviously in a rescue scenario it presents a problem in that the mask is more difficult to remove when it comes to resuscitation - but that's something you would cover off with your buddy. The helmet I use has been refitted with a piece of elastic (again, standard UK cave setup) in place of the chin strap - so is very easy to remove.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
thanks Irnbru

Think i will be getting one of these

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Jamie - it is noticeable when viewing at 1080 - but here's the thing it wasn't the actual GoPro it was the housing, it had a slightly curved lens which was great for in air shots but not so great for underwater.

My videos on youtube (youtube.com/stirlingscuba) are downsized to PAL resolution 720x576 (about a quarter the amount of data in a 1080 clip) so the blurring isn't as noticeable.

Now, GoPro have said that the new HERO2 has a better glass lens, but it doesn't say whether this is on the GoPro or the Housing.

There are a number of manufacturers who cottoned on to the fact that there was a need for a solution (at least with the HERO1) and made adjustments to the housing supplying a completely new unit. Sartek and Eye Of Mine are two of them, although there is a German manufacturer that has made a very good solution which one of the guys at my club has, I will try and find the name for you.

I bought a Sartek for about $70 and it is excellent, well made and pressure tested (the original housing is WP to about 60m - and so is the Sartek and Eye of Mine solutions).

You may not even need these with the HERO2...but I'm keen to find out. So do please keep in touch.

Oh - one thing you will need is a storage card - go for the 32GB one and don't buy it out of Dixons as you'll pay £70, it needs to be of a certain grade which you can find out about on the GoPro site but I didn't pay more than £30 for it and it's been fine and will easily hold a few hours worth of 1080 footage.

I just use the camera as a nice hassle free way to record the dive which I edit down afterwards using Adobe Premier before uploading to Youtube. I'm not diving to make a nice film as such, just doing a dive and the video is there for me to look back on.

I think you could probably get some truly excellent results and the GoPro has the advantage in that it can be taken off your helmet or wristmount and put into some hard to reach nooks and crannies, or placed on the seabed to make a timelapse sequence. BBC use them a lot for filming (you'll start to see them cropping up) and Deadliest Catch use them (tying them to line hooks and the odd crab) for some excellent shots.

I'll look out some links for you save you hassle as I've done loads of digging but don't have access to them just now, will post over the weekend.

Good luck with the present and do please post your efforts as it's really great seeing what other people are doing.

Here are some of mine stirlingscuba's Channel - YouTube will post some (hopefully helpful) links soon!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You may not even need these with the HERO2...but I'm keen to find out. So do please keep in touch.
The problem is still there with the Hero2 but GoPro have brought out a new housing with a flat lense. It's an additional cost at approx $60 I think. Not sure if it's available in the UK yet.

·
writing cheques he can't cash
617 Posts
I think I've also got a Hero2 under the tree, so definitely looking forward to hearing your collective brilliant suggestions. irnbru, have you had complaints about blinding buddies with the helmet setup, or with backscatter from the lights being so close to the camera? (I'd check your videos, but I'm on a networked computer and the $*%^ing Flash won't update!).

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Whelk - I've used a combination of tracing paper and polythene to make diffusers, so buddies don't get completely dazzled...but it is a consideration.

I'm ususally pretty careful and can switch the head torches off before speaking to them - I've got some ScubaPro Fuegos (which you can get for £25 if you look carefully) and some Aquastars which have a little button at the back - very good and very easy. I've used them on 20+ dives and not needed to change the batteries yet. The Fuegos have a good little switch which is nice and easy to turn on/off.

Yes - you can sometimes get backscatter and because you have lights on your head it can sometimes be tricky to see what is a few metres away (especially on night dives) so I'd say play around with it all first with your 5mm gloves on to make sure you can switch everything on/off quickly (mine take about 2 seconds to switch of 4 lights). Don't worry about the GoPro though, just switch that on before you dive and just leave it for the duration.

For the nearest thing to a night dive check out one of my Thistlegorm videos (one where we go inside the holds and look at the trucks and motorbikes) Wreck of the Thistlegorm at Sha' ab Ali, Egypt - 20th Novemeber 2011 - YouTube - I've filmed a night dive at "The Caves" in Loch Long which is pitch black in the day at 30m, so is *black* at night so will post that once I've edited it, fair amount of silt too.

Here's another at Ard na Cuile Ard na Cuile, Sound of Kerrara, Oban - Scuba Diving in Scotland - YouTube which we dived when it was poor weather, not a great advert for Scottish diving but it does let you see what it's like when things are a bit dark and silty.

Hope that helps and please post some of your videos (just the diving - none of those "home made" ones...) when you get a moment.

I'll try and post some pics of my helmet (steady people) when I get a moment.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi Hamish - I like the videos. That's the Eye of Mine housing by the looks of things.

Re your torches - I think the front of them can screw off, you can then take the lens reflector out, get some tracing paper and use the reflectors to draw round, cut out and then fit them inside your torch between the glass and the reflector - at least that what I did with my two main torches.

Hey presto - diffuse light!

You can also get a good mount from GoPro that has an elastic strap for mounting on your head (it comes free with the Helmet HERO but I'm sure it's about $20 otherwise), you can take it apart and fix it to the front of your helmet. Means you're a bit more streamlined for going inside wrecks, nooks and crannies etc.

Keep the videos coming guys!! (and gals)

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Have been playing around with Youtube a bit more - Wreck of the Ghiannis D, Sha'ab Abu Nuhas, Egypt - 19th November 2011 - YouTube

Adding some annotations and as someone else pointed out, you can now edit your videos on Youtube - I think this is basically working like a vast online editor. Even all of the footage you edit out is still there, you just say which bits to show.

With lots of transitions, colour and sound correction facilities, Youtube is starting to make me think you won't even need a desktop editor before long. Just upload your video and tweak away.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts