YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was just a little 4 minute test footage with my new Backscatter Red Filter for my GoPro.... picked up some nice Pike footage inside the Cabin Cruiser wreck of The Melody....

Hope you enjoy....

Stu.

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,155 Posts
I'm quite impressed by the 'brown soup' filter - never seen anything like that in guildy!
Was that a dead pike halfway thru btw?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm an ideal world yes, and a magenta for green. Unfortunately the company I like for the filter housing I like only make red. When I bought it I thought they would come our with a magenta one also, but they've since said they don't intend to! So at the moment I have a red filter or none, hence the test for me. IMHO red is better than none in green water.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
I had that magic filter film that you cut to size and put inside the house, it came in two different colours, one for Blue water and one for green, both seemed to work fine. Stopped using it when I got a camera that did white balance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had that magic filter film that you cut to size and put inside the house
This for me is the problem, I don't want to take the housing apart every time I change from blue to green water! Every time the housing front is unscrewed, the integrity is weakened. I have the backscatter clip on filter which is superb &I don't need to take a screwdriver to the housing.

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
It might've been interesting to see how the footage would've looked without the filter perhaps - please don't take wrong way but i'm not convinced it's made any difference other than adding a red hue to certain parts. And as it's a filter it's effectively blocking additional light from the camera and potentially making things worse...

I've got a similar flip over filter on another camera and it had a very specific 'zone' in the water when it was useful, which was between 10/20m in brightly lit blue water. Any shallower and things turned red, any deeper and it just made the image worse due to lack of ambient light. Just something you might want to try in the future and see what results you get...

PS - loved the pike! (The alive one!)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did exactly that test, being a flip filter I raised it for part of the filming them lowered it again to see the difference it was making. That part of the footage was cut out of the end product, as it was amazing just how much more green it was without the filter. I don't have the original footage anymore or if upload it for you.

And no offence taken by the way, lol.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Out of interest, how do you mount your Gopro?

I want to try and come up with some sort of a mounting system other than head mounted

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Thanks,

nice nails :D

Out of interest, how do you mount your lights if you are holding the camera in your hand?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, I can't take credit for the nails I'm afraid!

I don't have lights yet, would love a lighting rig but beyond financial justification at the moment!

The splashes of light on the pike come from my buddy holding and assuming the torch! Lol

·
High on Cotol fumes ;-)
255 Posts
I've got a Hero 3 on pre-order, just ordered a few bits to make a custom mount that fits directly on to the backplate (over the shoulder point of view).
Will post pics when it's set up if anyone is interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
looks good with the red filter, i'm thinking that'll be next for me.

I've just bought a cheap safety helmet off fleabay for £15 and going to use a helmet mount stuck onto the helmet. Need to get it in the pool first to check it doesn't fall off underwater!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts