YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Spent the last week diving in Gozo, courtesy of Blue Waters Dive Cove. They are a fairly new outfit, and I was one of their first customers to book, back in March. I`ve got to say, I was pretty impressed with their efficiency. Together with a diving package, they booked my transport to and from the airport to the Gozo ferry, accomodation in Gozo, a night on Malta (because I was flying back early in the morning), and transport from the hotel in Malta to the airport on the last day.

All the diving was done from the shore. I won`t go into raving about the dive sites as they are well known. The first day`s diving was done on the south-east coast as the north was blown out. However, that soon cleared, and we went on to do some of the better and more famous dive locations.

The `Blue Hole` was great, although it resembled more of a jaccuzzi on our first visit due to the number of divers coming and going. I was lucky in that there were only two other divers, apart from the guide in our party. This was distictly different from the Germans, who seem to like diving with a minimum of a dozen other divers.

The diving days consisted of being picked up at 8.30, by our guide Franco. We would then go to the dive centre, pick up our gear and transfer to their elderly Kia truck. This thing looked pretty knackered, but would put a lot of modern 4 X 4`s to shame, seemingly able to go up the side of the steepest Gozo hill. It was then onto the first dive. We had lunch at a local cafe or restaurant before moving on to an afternoon dive.

Midway thru` the week, a BBQ was organised in our honour.

All in all, for my first visit to Gozo, it was a memorial trip, made complete by the professionalism and dedication of Franco and Antoine, the adminstrator.

One final word. Air Malta, unlike British Airways, allow 15kg extra baggage allowance for divers. I flew from Bristol where Air Malta use Servisair for the check-in staff. The one I ended up with had just completed a personality bye-pass. When I claimed my extra 15 kg, she, at first was sceptical. I had however taken the wise precaution of e-mailing Air Malta to confirm the extra allowance. I presented her with a copy of the e-mail and the reply, which gave her little choice than to accept my baggage. I would suggest if you are flying from provincial airports like Bristol, you get a copy of Air Malta`s policy or get an e-mail confirmation from them regarding the allowance.

All in all, a great trip. I`ll be back as soon as I can.

www.divebluewaters.com

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Cheers for this Steve,

Susan was looking for recommendations/heads-up for Gozo so this will go some way to helping.

Cheers again mate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts