YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Right, I've now got a boat, all the gear, the site (which I've dived before), but need a GPS. Urgent-like.

I've got the co-ordinates (thanks Divernet) but don't have the little gizmo to tell me when I'm there.

The Dive is the St. Chamond off the coast of St. Ives in Cornwall, and if you bring a GPS you can come for free. You'll need your own gear, but boat, fuel and the pleasure of coming along is free. It's a quality dive, with steam locomotives all over the place. WW2 wreck, I believe. Max. depth 30m.

Anyone help on this one? If no-one can, what's the cheapest GPS I can get? It's only to get a reasonable idea of the wreck, which is broken up over a fair site.

Someone must be able to help! PM me or respond to this post.

Cheers,

Digs.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

As luck would have it, I've got one.

When are you going?

Go for a Garmin.  Well known, reliable make, you can get basic ones for under £100 (just!).  Mine's an eTrex, but there are better models available now.  If you buy one, make sure you get one capable of downloading to a computer - most of them do now.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I plan to get there next weekend, and will be diving in the week I think. It's open to negotiations, as it's my gf's dad's boat, and me and the missus are free from now until September!!!

Where are you based? I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement, or as I said, it's a free place on the boat for a few days. And maybe a pint or two.

These Garmin's for under £100 seem reasonable, we've had no problems with them in the past. We only need the most basic model to be honest, there's a fish-finder onboard so I can't see what else we would really want from it.

Let me know off-line if you like, or you can keep it public so you've got some witnesses to all these promises of mine  

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Digger

Just a little tip. Put in your departure point as a waypoint, or even put in a route if you have to go around any headlands. I've been out on a clear June morning. 100m surface vis by 1pm. And waiting for a chopper (another story, another time).

So what is your bearing back?...

Adrian

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Ah, my buddy's a student too!  Happy days once exams/term is over eh?

As luck would have it, I'm free until 1st Aug - [touches wood/head/same thing] I should be starting a job then.

Now, I'm up for a trip if your offer still stands - find Exeter on the map and I'm on the coast just South East of it, so not far off the beaten track.  Have car, will travel.

Two things spring to mind however.  You're gonna have to revise your stance a bit on being on the boat with someone who dives a Buddy Spare Air bottle!

And if you're buddying your chick, you're either gonna have a threesome on your hands  
or I'm gonna need aforementioned student buddy - and he dives a Spare Air too!

Reckon you can cope with the extra danger?!

(I'll PM my number.)

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

I can lend u one if nyou want when i come bk from oz as long as u gave me contact details.

wouldn't bother me howlong u needed it for

post or e-mail me

hope this helps

DD  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK, thanks for everyone's help on this one. MDemon, there'll be a PM on its way. The plan is to dive a little after the weekend (sorry to change things late on) if that's ok with you, we're more than happy to have you on the boat.

If you want to bring a buddy, that's not a problem, and I'll dive solo, or we can do the wreck together. It's all very self-explanatory, so you could easily find your way around. No penetration opportunities that I'm aware of yet.

No O2 on the boat neither (here come some flames) but it's only about a minute out of harbour. You can see the coastguard watchtower, and they can see you! Let me know if that's a problem, I may be able to arrange something.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Come on Digger,
tell all why you can't go diving on Monday.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

Come on Digger,

is this because of the ewe, the vaseline and the wellies,  or is it some really perverted reason??

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK, this is a long story, so pull up a chair, and get ready for the sad ending.

It all started when I was back in Nam. OK, I wasn't in Nam, but have you noticed how Nam vets are getting younger?

My advice, gentlemen, is clear. If you're going to get caught with your hand in someone else's cookie jar, just make sure you've had all the cookies you want from both jars.

Needless to sday, there's nothing wrong with the boat, the divers, the site or the GPS. That would leave, oh yes! The girlfriend.

Digger is now single, all you lady-divers, so get your bids in. I was sold for £3.20 in a slave auction a while back, and any reasonable offer will not be refused!

God, I love my life sometimes. I ballsed things up with the one woman I met who is financially independant, has a nice resort for a home-town, and whose dad owns a decent boat for diving. I feel like a prize twat. I really do.

Anyway, I've got a life to get on with planning. Anyone want a single DM for the summer?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Digger

What a bummer, lost out on a decent dive boat.

"Sh*te" life's a pig at times ain't it?

Cheers
Bob.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Women, eh.  They just don't understand us blokes.  There you were, thinking of her and getting some practice in just for her benefit.

Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em!

Shame about the boat though  

Anyway, don't worry, you're a student and live in a target-rich environment... (Oh, that's what got you into this mess... DOH! )

Have you tried a cheap bunch of flowers?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Aha! A cheap bunch of flowers from a serial adulterer! I think this has gone way beyond that.

To be honest, if I turned up with a brand new car, she would probably ask me if we could be friends (and only to get more cars and stuff out of me)

Mind you, I did have a nice little chat with an ex, who had gone mad for similar reasons, and we got on ok, and I got as far as being able to apologise. Maybe that's an option...

As for the scheming, loyalty-free zone that is one of my so called mates who told her, she will be having an intersting discussion with one extremely angry Digger. It will not be pretty, nor will I stop at anything to get her back. If anyone wants to help, or you know anyone that is skilled in the art of destroying a person's life, then please let me know. She's taken the obvious solution away, and now I'm going to need something more ingenious.

Anyone know how to destroy a credit rating? She has real problems staying out ot debt, and that seems like a good option. What about cancelling various electronic devices, cloing an e-mail account, and getting her arrested?

Am I sounding a little bit crazy? Well I am. Really, really mad. There's things you don't do to a guy, and telling his girfriend the truth is not one of them.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

One very angry Digs.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Sounds like you were lucky to get away with your long hose attached.  

Could be worse...  I know of a similar story involving a married man who's wife left him but not before she had done some work on his drysuit and BCD with a pair of scissors.

Daz

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Come on Digs, you were caught out fair and square!

All your fault for a) being a cheating bar-steward  
 and b) being stupid enough to let other people know.

Take it on the chin and leave the snitcher alone - you must know that you can't trust a girl.....

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I have to admit, I was caught doing the dirty, and I really shouldn't have been. What's got my goat is that the snitch made out like we were mates, and then did the Judas on me. It was an unreasonable bit of behaviour, and that's not what you do to your mates. If she'd asked, then I don't expect people to lie for me, but I don't expect someone to go out of their way to try and mess up my happily settled life.

It will be a while before I make the same mistake again, I'm sure. I could always just go for the straight and narrow option.

I will find a suitable revenge, like the fact that she had a boyfriend (or someone she wasn't telling about) when she was with me. I will track that man down, and when I do, it will be fun. Even better if she's still with him.

Come on, decent long-distance ideas, guys. You must have had to get your own back at some point!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Sorry Digs,  but you know us guys don't have a malicious streak at all  

We are far to nice to come up with anything vindictive.  Try the girls.....  

Daz

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Have you thought about going across to the other side ?, no not DIR, Homersexual.  At least when you have a row with your boyfriend you can have a punch up, and then when you meet him in the pub later on you can get sloshed and make up.  You know what we're like with beer in us.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts