YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The burn time on my Greenforce F3 battery is down to about 90 minutes with the Compact 100 HID head. I've had it a few years now and have not been particularly kind to the cells (leaving it unused without charging etc).

This is a little inconvenient on a two-dive day - it used to last a solid three hours when new.

I'm thinking how hard can it be to open the can and source some replacement NiMh cells?

Anyone got any experience of opening the Flexi battery? Looks to me that the top is threaded and presumably sealed with a few O rings?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
im sure the top of the f2 comes off not sure about the f3 battery pack !

i think the batteries have to be charged once every 6 weeks even if not used !

drop rob lumb a line and see if he can help ya out with it !!! :teeth:

sorry not much help

best wishes leigh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Leigh.

Decided he who dares gets his torch fixed so set to it. Couldn't shift either end by hand but an oil filter strap did the job nicely.

The top comes off to reveal a connector. This has to be unhooked to let the battery out of the bottom end. The battery won't come out this way as the main tube is tapered.

And here is what comes out of the bottom. The cell pack is secured by the black cap which is held down on to the bottom plug by three studs.

The pack is a fairly normal shrink-wrap collection of cells - they are GP 18670 1.2v 4500 mAh. It looks like two paralleled sets of ten cells in series (10 x 1.2v = 12v with two of those in parallel to give 9 Ah).

It would be possible to DIY a new pack (the cells are £3.50 each) but its a bit fiddly and not ideal to do with solder. There's a company in South Shields www.cellpacksolutions.com that I've dealt with through work who should be able to create a reproduction.

All in it will be a lot cheaper than a new F3.

·
Registered
106 Posts
greenforce battery packs

hello i had this problem with a arrow 12 so i made a spot welder to spot the tags on the batteries and made a replacement with polyswitch thanks phil

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Thanks Leigh.

Decided he who dares gets his torch fixed so set to it. Couldn't shift either end by hand but an oil filter strap did the job nicely.

The top comes off to reveal a connector. This has to be unhooked to let the battery out of the bottom end. The battery won't come out this way as the main tube is tapered.

And here is what comes out of the bottom. The cell pack is secured by the black cap which is held down on to the bottom plug by three studs.

The pack is a fairly normal shrink-wrap collection of cells - they are GP 18670 1.2v 4500 mAh. It looks like two paralleled sets of ten cells in series (10 x 1.2v = 12v with two of those in parallel to give 9 Ah).

It would be possible to DIY a new pack (the cells are £3.50 each) but its a bit fiddly and not ideal to do with solder. There's a company in South Shields Cordless Phone Batteries - Digital Camera Batteries - Video Camera Batteries - Watch Batteries that I've dealt with through work who should be able to create a reproduction.

All in it will be a lot cheaper than a new F3.
glad ya got it sorted mate ! as its always nice to see a greenforce in tip top condition ! best wishes leigh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts