YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>as you may gather by the title ive got a cross to bare.

having forked out several hundred quid on a greenforce"system" which has been impeccably looked after and is only twenty dive's old, the battery cell decide's to take a turn for the worse.
after contacting the brothers lumb and explaining the situation they agreed to take it away for a check up.

some weeks later..... the brothers lumb contact me to say that the battery has a duff cell within the strip and is not covered in the warranty............

after much caming down  

he tells me that  a new battery will cost me over a hundred quid plus vat and carriage. you can imagine what i said.

some hours hunting later.... i find an electrical shop that tells me he builds them and could knock me one up in minutes for £22 .

i go and see the chap and he squares me away with a new cell pack  

the torch was promptly sold.

moral of the story...........DONT BY A GREENFORCE TORCH!!!

and to the brothers lumb.....may the greenforce be with you!! cos it wont be with me.

oh and dont buy there over priced bulbs either as you can source them 60% cheaper elswhere.

nulli secundum

troxmeister

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

had the same sort of build quality problem nitrox when i bought an umbilical green force when they first came out.
they use to have black cable instead of the green which was a bad batch and of different diameter across its length which caused the gland seal to leak.
i use to have it mounted on a helmet and on its third ever dive at me 12m stop the lamp head went off like a gun and blew the lens out which i caught in me hand!great fun
they replaced the whole thing no problem. i was under the impression they were a good firm to deal with ,oh well must be selling to many of em to care eh?
the only other problem with em is the bulbs keep falling out of its pin connector if you accidentally tap the head to hard
we see a lot of fancy umbilical torches which cost a small fortune and most of these aren't much better .
wish i'd just stuck with me trusty ol uk400
all the best
elfyn

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

No really, Nitrox - say what you mean. Don't hold back.
Keep hearing these horror stories about Greenforce. A pattern is emerging. Can't quite figure out what it is. It's coming to me............ Ah yes, Green Force lamps are sh*te.
Ta for the info. CD for me. Got to sell the family to get the one I want, so I'll just have to settle for my crappy ol'  JMD. Big & heavy, but (relatively) cheap and does the the light sabre thing pretty well. 1HR burn time a bit of a pain though.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've got a greenforce lamp - 21 watt HID - waist mounted battery - works brilliant.

When it first arrived it wasn't working how I wanted it - I spoke to Rob at Lumb and a new unit was sent out and it's been fine for 80-odd dives.

I've also heard some horrors about Greenforce but my personal experience has been more than good.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

S*d it

I bought one a month ago, great light but packed up after 5 dives. I broke the bulb getting it out only 2 find later that the bottom plug on the battery housing had loosened a fraction.

The hallogen bulbs which look identical from my kitchen lights seam to work very well in it, am i asking for trouble with them? Afterall its the same type of bulb in a sealed unit?

Please tell me if i am being simple.

Regards

paul

·
Mexican Dive Bum
516 Posts
Imported post

I saw someone's Greenforce fail on a boat last year.  The battery offgassed and the gas migrated up the umbilical to blow out the lighthead - not good!

For what it's worth - my Extreme Exposure Helios 13.5 18W HID has been great.  Over 6 hour burn time, incredibly bright and the Delrin canister is virtually indestructible.  That said, my bank manager hates it!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>H,mmm,

i'd never actually heard anything bad about greenforce prior to buying "the system".

it appears that i'm not alone.

what really miffed me and prompted me to do this post was there f!"king bad attitude when i approached them about it, it came across as a serious " so what we dont give a sh1te attitude.

as u can imagine that really gripped my shit!

regards

mark

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i have got the greenforce with the umbilical and it has been a great unit, i had the initial problem with the bulbs falling out, but they swaped the head and has been fine since

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For what it's worth - my Extreme Exposure Helios 13.5 18W HID has been great.  Over 6 hour burn time, incredibly bright and the Delrin canister is virtually indestructible.  That said, my bank manager hates it!
at about 600 i think this is in a diferent league

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Is there anywhere other than dive shops who will supply bulbs for torches?  A bulb for my UK600 is about 8 quid.  I grudge paying this if I could get one a lot cheaper elsewhere.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

8 quid

Thats not bad, light cannon ones cost about £70 i hear.

My current 1, 3 for a fiver at B & Q.

Seemed to run the battrey down a bit quick today though.

Regards

Paul

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

In defence of Greenforce, I got an umbilical A12 I belive it's called. Done 100+ dives, with no problems at all. In addition to this I have met several times the guy who owns the company and a sound bloke he is too. I can not belive he would condone the behavour by Lumb Bros.

Nitrox, can you give me more details like which torch was it etc. I am supposed to be diving with them in a couple of weeks and would like to mention it. I have great faith in Greenforce but none in Lumb Bros.

Andrew

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Aug. 23 2003,22:48)].

My current 1, 3 for a fiver at B & Q.

Seemed to run the battrey down a bit quick today though.
<font color='#000080'>lol

wonder if it coulb be because the b&q halogen bulbs are 12v and your tourch is 6v

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>oh and i got the led head, it now has a 5 hour burn time,  but i was a bit disapointed in the light level,i think i need its big brother

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I use el-cheepo screw fix halogen bulbs in my back up tourch and in my CD unitand they seem fine. I generaly use 35W units as the 50W are dificult to get hold of.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] bulb for my UK600 is about 8 quid.  I grudge paying this if I could get one a lot cheaper elsewhere.
You tight arse
 I can only dream of paying £8 for a bulb. Had to buy one for my CD HID a few months back and it cost me over £80  

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I borrowed a friends 3 LED greenforce for a night dive in the red sea whilst mine was charging and I thought it was crap. After 20 mins of a hazy cloud not illuminatig too much I turned it off and used my backup UK mask light instead - Much better.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Aug. 24 2003,16:41)]
I use el-cheepo screw fix halogen bulbs in my back up tourch and in my CD unitand they seem fine. I generaly use 35W units as the 50W are dificult to get hold of.
 Maplins do 35mm 50 watt bulbs.  That's where i get mine from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts