YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I recently heard that this is the place for some sound advice some with that in mind i'll pose my query..

Before i ask my Q's - i'm looking to video some of the wrecks/sites that i dive both at home and abroad...dives are normally no more than an hour in duration and no deeper than 40M (i probably wouldn't bother with the video outside of this), so any lamps that i consider will need to at least cater for this with maybe a bit of future-proofing built in just in case i want to go a bit deeper etc.

I've recently purchased a Sony PC1000e and Ikelite housing and i'm looking at getting some lighting for it and i was wondering whether any forum members had any opinions about the lighting systems available on the market at the moment.

The things i'm roughly after are:

One lamp or two - and what is the main benefit of two if any
Will a HID make much of a difference
What ratings of lamp should i consider 50W or 100W - Will this make much of a difference

I'm probably looking to spend no more than 1K if possible and have seen the ikelite offering (which for some reason doesn't look up to the job) and some of the Greenforce offerings

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of any websites that rate video lighting as i haven't managed to find any as yet.

Many thanks for reading and any advice suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
For TV work I use two Kowalski 'Xenon' lamps - the best and most even light I have used. The Xenon gives a 'blue' light as does natural sunlight. They charge fast and burn for an hour-ish.

For your purposes one would be sufficient, just be sure to get a fairly long arm to mount it.

Video lamps : Lighthouse Diving Ltd : Kowalski Diving Lamps

They are great inside wrecks and in deep water, I wouldn't recommend anything else for video work.

Best regards,

Berko

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hi Roosterman
Welcome to YD
If you are seeking further answers or info you might like to also take a look at this site Digigreen which is dedicated to green water photography. You will find YD and DG have a few members in common:teeth:

·
The plan is vital, it's something to deviate from.
487 Posts
Hi there, and welcome!

Some extra thoughts for you:

Two or one light? Two will give you softer shadows and more even light with wide angle lenses in particular

What make? I was recently on a boat with a guy who had a US NiteRider sytem - they seemed very nice, very good beam spread and limited central hotspots, and they were very small and light, as in very small and light.

Also, saw a guy using a system with a pair of what looked like flat panels, each with 12 or 16 LEDs (Maybe, I didn't get a very close look). The panels were maybe six inches square and half an inch thick with a battery under the camera housing as normal. Never seen anything like them before or since, no idea if they were commercial or some sort of home brew, but they did seem to give very flat and even light.

Finally, one pro couple I know make vids for the liveaboard guests every week, they use manual WB down to about 15/20m and switch to black and white below that, which is very atmospheric on wrecks.

Good luch with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

thanks very much for your posts and comments...very much appreciated especially the links to the sites with the additional info...i've got some good info to look through now and thank very much for the alternative product options too!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.