YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi, just got a message showing me the light and this forum.
36 year old county court bailiff/private investigator from Essex in the UK.

Been diving 10 years been an instructor 9, not been diving for 2.  I have instructed in the UK (uurgh) Malaysia (wow) Thailand (awesome), Australia (spectacular) and The Red Sea (poor to average)
Hate the UK, loathe the exploitative attitude of dive shopowners towards diving professionals and would love to speak three languages to get a job in the maldives.

Learning to play the saxophone, and just about to take the final part of my truck test to drive HGVs.  Not at the same time I might add.

Intro over ... right where's the soap box

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

John or James?? Let's hope the latter!  

Welcome aboard mate, get in amongst it and fill yer boots. Don't be shy, get yourself on a dive from 'Planned Trips'.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

"One man's cynic is another man's Realist"

Welcome aboard Belushi. What kind of Sax you got? I used to play but  let it fall by the wayside, still got my Yamaha 32 (Alto) and always meaning to start practicing again, 'tis a thing of beauty...

Chee-az
Steve

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Belushi @ July 24 2003,23:17)]Hi, just got a message showing me the light and this forum.
36 year old county court bailiff/private investigator from Essex in the UK.

Been diving 10 years been an instructor 9, not been diving for 2.  I have instructed in the UK (uurgh) Malaysia (wow) Thailand (awesome), Australia (spectacular) and The Red Sea (poor to average)
Hate the UK, loathe the exploitative attitude of dive shopowners towards diving professionals and would love to speak three languages to get a job in the maldives.

Learning to play the saxophone, and just about to take the final part of my truck test to drive HGVs.  Not at the same time I might add.

Intro over ... right where's the soap box
Hi Belushi,

Welcome to the boards,   Not sure about the cynic bit, like Steve W says.

Can relate to some of your comments and it is not always dive professionals.  

"loathe the exploitative attitude of some dive shopowners towards customers !"  might be more apt.

Anyway enjoy,  you might find a few kindred spirits around here.

Daz

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Belushi @ July 25 2003,00:17)]I have instructed in the UK (uurgh) Malaysia (wow) Thailand (awesome), Australia (spectacular) and The Red Sea (poor to average)
Welcome, Belushi, but beg to differ regarding the Red Sea.
You obviously haven't been to the right places. I've dived all over the world and still consider the best parts of the Red Sea to be right at the very top, along with the best parts of Indonesia, for example, and FAR better than Thailand. As Commandant Cousteau said, ......... (see below).

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Hi from another new member.

I passed my HGV about 10 years ago and it stood me in good stead when I was a student for summer work. What class are you going for? C or C+E. For the uninitiated C is any rigid HGV with no trailer and C+E is an artic and a rigid with a trailer, usually the same size (E = trailer). Not that I'm a HGV spotter, oops what have I started!!!

Back to diving (change the subject, change the subject dave !!!) I've not been diving that long I expect any info I can bring to the group will probably be irrelevant. On the diving with YD members I look forward to it although as I've only just qualified as Open Water so I expect I should get some experience under the expert tuition of the senior divers in the club I'm a member of. (he said trying not to upset his dive officer ).

Dave (Shiny and new fresh out the cellophane) C

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

What the hey, might as well join in the rush of introductions -

Another newbie, based in south london. Have driven through Yorkshire if that counts

Recent AOW, limited amount of holiday diving in cool places, now trying to do some diving in cold places, ie the UK!  

Found this board pretty informative so far.

Tom (barely out of the wrapper, let alone the cellophane).

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Tom,

You too are most welcome mate. Seek buddies and get yourself on any of the posted dives. Hopefully see you for a wet in the not too distant!

Cheers,

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure you're not cynical at all.  

What part of GB were you diving - I think the diving here is bloody brilliant, especially when you can see, and, if you can't, then it is treated as a character building exercise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the welcome guys.
To answer the questions
I have a Jupiter Tenor Sax
I am starting my C+E and today was my first lesson and it went well
The Red Sea sucks, sorry, but I was a liveaboard guide deepsouth as well as Tiran and I still rate Thailand/Burma better than the Egyptian Red Sea.  But then when given the choice between Whale Sharks/Hammerheads and Mantas in Thailand and toilets, Abu Nuhas and a million divers on Elphinstone, sorry Thailand/Burma do it every time for me.  Matter of opinion tho.  Diving a place and working a place you see totally different things.  Guess the cynic in me would rather have 12 divers on a site than 50.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts