YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi folks!

First off, I do not dive. WAIT! I do have friends that dive and I am looking for some trip tips of cool places to go, outside of Canada to get the most out of a dive. I figured I would ask people that do not seem to have a commercial interest in diving as they have nothing to sell and will offer me some good advice.

I would appreciate any input you can offer. I am not only limiting to the U.K. but other destinations in Europe and even the waters of the B.W.I., etc.

Anyone here a member of the media?

Thanks in advance! I will be back often.

Blaksmith

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Blaksmith,

I think we can cater for most of your needs here.

'Member of the media' - seek out Gavin 'Gavster' Yates: former TV producer, TV journalist and current freelance (I think that's all in the right order - Gav?)

In terms of where to go for good diving?? OK, let's start with UK waters:

Oban (yet to dive)
The Clyde (yet to dive)
St Abbs (dived)
Mull (yet to dive)
Scapa Flow (yet to dive)
Anglesey (dived)
Weymouth (yet to dive)
Portland (yet to dive)
The inland sites of the Lake District (dived)
Farne Isldands (yet to dive)
'Southern Approaches General' & South West Peninsula (yet to dive)
Isle of Man (yet to dive, but can't wait for 'Sugarloaf Caves')

And then there's the feast of diving that make up the Irish coast:

The wrecks from wars various off County Donegal
The Irish Sea (assorted)

Further afield (and I can only comment on the places I've dived, although many members here can offer 1st-hand advice on other destinations):

Red Sea (Ras Mohammad, Thistlegorm and various others)
Oman (Bandar Kharan, Muscat and the Daymaniyat Islands)
Bahamas (wrecks galore)
Tobago (drift diving with a vengance)
Manatees in Florida (Indian and Banana River, Cocoa Beach area)
Catalina Island (seals off California coast)
Australia (Coral Sea & The Great Barrier Reef)
New Zealand (Bay of Islands - Knights and 'Rainbow Warrior')
South Africa (Aliwal Shoal, Protea Banks & Sodwana Bay)
Maldives (Hammerheads, good wrecks and variety of fish)

John Gulliver can speak at length about diving in Scandinavia and other SE Asia, Caribbean, Southern Red Sea (Sudan) and Canadian destinations; Davey Willo can talk about Nuweiba (Red Sea - right up near Israel and Jordan); Gunna Do can speak about parts various of New Zealand; NamTinker can tell you about Namibia; Gav can talk about diving in the Philippines; and then others can address as many sites UK or global as you might have questions.

So go ahead - ask away and welcome to the boards. Better still, get your mates to sign up and get in amongst it.

Cheers,

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

BREN - SHAME ON YOU!!

You forgot the largest concentration of wrecks in the world off Dover, get your Northern Ass down here and sample the Dover experience.

We have a few Canery Island experts as well, and i know a bit about diving off Kenya (North of Mombassa - Malindi way), I'll get onto the Cove again about Thailand.

Regards

Paul

PS Dived a couple of Big Lakes in Canada myself once - very impressive.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Best cold-water scenic diving in the world: Around vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes.
Second best: The central part of Norway (around Kristiansund and Trondheim).
Best coral reefs: Perhaps Indonesia or the Philippines, both of which are excellent, cheap destinations, although Micronesia (particularly Palau, Truk and Yap) is said to be sensational. Maybe I'll be able to afford to go some day. Meanwhile, the Red Sea is excellent, particularly the southern Egyptian part and Sudan.
Best for sharks and other big animals: Probably Cocos Island (Costa Rica) or the northern part of Galapagos (Wolf and Darwin Islands), which are also too expensive for my wallet, but the Sea of Cortez (Baja California, Mexican Pacific coast) also has fantastic diving and is easy to get to (via Los Angeles) and is affordable. South Africa/Mozambique is also excellent and very affordable once you're there but expensie to get to.
There's some nice diving in the Caribbean (easy to get to from Canada) but it can't compare with the better parts of the Red Sea or Southeast Asia, in my opinion.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Hello,

John, you know my feelings on Palau....marvellous. I've said it before, but for me Palau has the best all round type of diving...it was Mr Cousteau's preferred dive location in the world.

The reefs are stunning, the sealife is so varied....you can dive there as a beginner, but probably not the best idea as you'll be doing some serious current dives and deep dives down to 50 metres. There are a number of wrecks from WW 2 and a few caves and caverns, blue holes (but not quite as spectacular as those in the caribbean), drop offs, walls etc

If you want to know more...let me know...

Cheers

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Jeezz after reading the rest of the posts..
you people dont know what your missing, try the south island of New Zealand..
as of yesterday we can offer approx 1mtr vis( that is if you hit the right surge pocket).. Swells of 2.5mtrs.. and nice balmy water temp of 6 degrees at the top. ( A thermos flask of warm water is an imperitive to dump inside your wet suit after a dive). it does save having to have a leak inside your wetsuit to stay warm.
and yes I know dry suits are available, just wouldnt survive to long in the diving I do with all the volcanic rocks etc.
dive safe all ( And spare a thougfht for this poor diver who just had the first day off winter yesterday, and is so reluctant to retire for the duration)
Steve

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gunna Do @ June 01 2003,22:54)]as of yesterday we can offer approx 1mtr vis( that is if you hit the right surge pocket).. Swells of 2.5mtrs.. and nice balmy water temp of 6 degrees at the top.
Thats nothing mate, after we,ve shaken the collasped carboard boxes of ourselves, we'd load diving gear onto the horse, travel for 2 days to south coast, load gear onto boat, row out to dive site in foprce 6 winds, dive in  1-2 inches vis, minus 5deg, pay £100 and be grateful.
(Sounds like a monty python sketch)

To be serious my fav. wreck diving site is Scapa, if you`re into wreck penetration then the cruisers are awesome.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ June 02 2003,01:36)]Thats nothing mate, after we,ve shaken the collasped carboard boxes of ourselves, we'd load diving gear onto the horse, travel for 2 days to south coast, load gear onto boat, row out to dive site in foprce 6 winds, dive in  1-2 inches vis, minus 5deg, pay £100 and be grateful.
You try telling that to todays new diver, they won't believe you.

Carry on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts