YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hey Divers! Great Site! Anyways the name is Mark Cassar and I am from Xlendi Bay, Gozo. Any friends out there? A quick intro but Happy Diving All!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>Hi ya Mark!!!

Welcome to YD!!!

So what is the diving like in Gozo? I'm thinking about going there next year!!!

x x x

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Mark,

Welcome to YD! You're not alone, we do have divers from Malta here too. Hope you enjoy the site and look forward to reading your dive reports from Gozo - I've never been, but quite fancy a dip there also.

Cheers,

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

Hello Mark,

Welcome from me too...

I'm going to Gozo on 1st June for a week.

Can't wait.

We have a guide / instructor for the week. His name is Warren D'Ancona. He is from Malta. Do you know him? You might think it a strange question but I don't know how big the diving community is there.

·
2i/C 'Bristol Massive'
74 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark

Welcome to YD - you lucky, lucky bugger being in Gozo - I love the diving there, Double Arch Reef has to be one of my favourites.

Will let you know when we are planning a trip, perhaps we can meet up for a few shandy's (I'm what they call a Southern Shandy Drinker)!

Sam

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard

There are 10 of us from the board off to Malta from the 29th of April for a week, and I'm pretty sure we'll be spending a day or two on Gozo. If you would like to come along for a dive or just meet up for a beer then just say hello on the 'badgers on tour' post in the planned trips section.

And you could do us a favour by keeping us posted on the water temps

Hope you enjoy, cheers

Conor

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the greets and welcomes! For Kate and Bren, there is alot of Malta/ Gozo web sites with loads of info about the Islands. For underwater info you can see small videos of the dive sites on the www.mobydivesgozo.com. And for all of you who will be here this summer and wander down to Xlendi Bay, pop in for a coffee! Anyone going to be at the London Dive Show? We will be on stand P.V.40. Happy Diving All!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Mar. 03 2004,09:28)]29th of April for a week,
<font color='#F52887'>Please please tell me you booked your tickets for the 26/4 till 3/5 like the rest of us  

Anyway Hi Mark, welcome to the boards would be great to meet up as has already been said a few of us are off to malta for a week but undoubtably will be over in Gozo for a day or 2.

Mary

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Hey Mary, thanks! You have to come to Gozo, its the best diving! Im just off to the Blue Hole in half an hour. The weather has been great this winter so if it holds up we should have and early summer! Nice warm water! Cannot wait to take this dry suit off! Happy Diving!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mobymark @ Mar. 03 2004,10:49)]Hey Mary, thanks! You have to come to Gozo, its the best diving! Im just off to the Blue Hole in half an hour. The weather has been great this winter so if it holds up we should have and early summer! Nice warm water! Cannot wait to take this dry suit off! Happy Diving!
Mark,

Welcome to YD.

Will you stop talking about Gozo - as you know from the Scuba Board site I just love the place and it is making me really depressed being in an office working. I have had some of my happiest hols in Gozo + I absolutely love the diving there.

Now you have mentioned the Blue Hole I can not get memories of the place out of my mind.

Oh well, back to work - deep deep deeeeeep sigh.

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Mar. 03 2004,10:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Mar. 03 2004,09:28)]29th of April for a week,
Please please tell me you booked your tickets for the 26/4 till 3/5 like the rest of us  
Oops, yes you are right, in my defence I posted that before I was fully caffeinated.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Hi Mark
Welcome to YD
I spent two weeks out in Xlendi bay last August, did lots of diving and had a great family holiday.

For those who have never been to Gozo-it is faaaaaaantastic, the diving is also pretty good. Some of the friendliest people I have ever met live there.

My wife and daughter did try dives in Xlendi bay and found a sea horse.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Okay Finless, I will not mention diving the Blue Hole again! Actually,Im looking more forward to seeing the U.K In a couple of weeks! Its so quiet in Gozo right now. Need to see some space then come back and face the diving season! Hello IDH! Im glad to hear you liked Xlendi. Also good news that your kids saw a Sea horse on thier first experience! My boys{I have 3} have been diving since they were little wee ones. Now the oldest works for me in the summer as an Instructor and the secound oldest helps in the compressor room. The youngest who is 13 just dives all summer. He does more dives than I do! See you in Xlendi some time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

Hi All,

Not sure if I should share this but Air Malta have recently started to do Easy Jet style tickets to Malta.

I have booked a return flight in Feb and am going in August (Last Week).  I have booked a farm house too with a pool and the flights are cost £110 (RETURN).

An amazing deal.  I have paid £380 before out of season with another company that fly the UK to Malta route.

The departure time is a nightmare 01:30 but for £110 even I can not grumble.  The flights are out of Stanstead.

There will be 6 staying at the Farmhouse and this cost £780

Works out to £230 per person.

Additional costs Diving, Vehicle Hire, Ferry crossing,  Food

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

A word of caution of some of the Easyjet style flights.

I had a look at them and could save some money that way from stansted but the flight was leaving at 00:45 and getting in a silly o'clock. so you effectively lost a day of holiday.

The standard Air Malta flights we got for the Badgers gig only cost £144 and Mary has arranged a couple of villa's for the ten of us for around £50 pp.

Having said that it is definitely cheaper now to make your own arrangements that get one of  the package deals, especially as most dive centres will help you sort out decent accomodation out there.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,

Welcome to YD,  love Gozo, like the people, the placed and especially the diving...  oh so many great dives, blue hole, double arch reef, Xlendi ferry and of course Reqqa point.

I confess we normally hook up with Gail and Patrick at GAS just because we always have.  All in all a great place and I really hope we can get over again sometime and maybe meet up in person.

Daz

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the greetings Daz and no problem. Gail and Patrick are friends, so stop by anytime. Hey Scott! See you in a couple weeks at the London Dive Show. I am looking forward to meeting all me mates! Happy Diving All!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Mark!

Welcome to the site!

I have dived at Gozo with hubbie for the last 2 years in summer and think that the diving there is great! Last year we did our first lot of unaccompanied diving there to improve our confidence levels and it certainly worked. Unfortunately we left diving Reqqa Point until our last dive day and lived to regret it very much as we would quite happily have dived in another 3 or 4 times...Oh well at least it gives us an excuse to go back again!!!!!

Anyway, I'm sure that you will be happy here...we're a very friendly bunch!

Happy diving, scubachick

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark

I'm another "Badgers on tour" victim. Mary and Porg have done well organising the trip and I am looking forward to visiting your island as I have never dived there before. Are you going to be brave enough to dive our island on your visit??

Welcome to YD

James  

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

Hey Scubachick! Thanks for the greets and hope you make Reqqa next time your out! It is a great dive and the fish life is great there. Stop by if your in Xlendi! Hey James! I am Sorry but after diving since 1973, I have become a wimp in my old age, the less I have to wear the better! So I guess Ill just have to sit in a nice warm pub while Im in the U.K instead of diving! Oh well!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts