YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Morning all from a pleasantly sunny and warm (water 27, air 31) Great Barrier Reef. Sadly the viz is a bit of a monkey at the moment, only about 12m on Norman Reef (alright, I realise you get what you deserve if you dive there) but the post dive beer is cold.

Off to Townsville today and the Yongala if all goes to plan (it's been a bit blown out recently...hmmmm.....). Then down to Sydney Harbour for the Port Jackson sharks.

See you all later when I return to England a married man!  

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

It was blown out when I was supposed to do it last time - I changed my flight & stayed until we could dive it.
One of my best dives ever - you won't be disappointed.  All the fish seem to be on steroids, keep an eye out for the snakes though    

Enjoy !

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Actually, 12 m is quite normal for the GBR in my limited experience and that of others I've talked to. Out on the Coral Sea reefs 30 m or more is normal, but not on the GBR, unfortunately.
The Yongala is fantastic. Enjoy it!
I haven't dived Sydney harbour but have heard very good things about it. Have you seen this link? http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/articles/sydney.htm

·
Back from the brink
80 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>G'day Paul!!!

If you're off to Sydney, definitely dive Green Point if you can - there's heaps to see, couple of big(ish) gropers, and if you're lucky cuttlefish. This was one of my favourite dives when I was there. If you start your dive a twilight when you surface you'll have a fantastic view of the lights as you look to the city. Also, if your lucky and the weather is good head to North Bondi where you are most likely to see Sea Dragons - amazing looking things...

I've just realised it's a year since I left - damn the aussie government and their crappy working visa scheme...

Enjoy,

Jimbo

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Eeek, For it's a small world! I've got two ladies staying with me for five days from Townsville. They're arriving tomorrow(Sat) from dahn sarf somewhere. Doubt they'll be diving the GBR in the Clyde somehow though!

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts