YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>favourite dive in plymouth,  you can keep the persier and the elk and the james "very dived" lane and as for the poulmic, well lets not go there.

12-15m vizz, rolling gullys, marine life in abundance, huge elephant sponge's and urchins plenty of free dinner opportunities and anything from 10m to over 40 in depth.

who needs to go abroad eh!

for those of you unaware of this fantastic dive contact sound diving at queen annes battery (ray)

its only 15 mins from the battery situated just beyond bovisand beach.

truly amazing.

mark    

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Nearly agree with you, it is a lovely dive but i cannot put it down as my favourite dive although the marine life is outstanding, i've never seen that many urchins, it looks like a clear sky at night with the stars twinkling as you descend.  The Elk was the first wreck i had 20m viz on and although it's small, it makes a lovely drop off point for the reef behind it. Austral bush and the Persier are excellent wrecks for pincered food, i've not surfaced with an empty bag yet.  Barn pool and Mashfords in the Sound are cracking dives for collecting bottles,plates and assorted rubbish. And the Totnes castle has got to be one of the prettiest wrecks you'll ever see.  I agree about the Poulmic but what did you expect, it's French.  

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>only done out of bovi and the breakwater, finishing a course off, we was all seriously hung over trying to do drills in a huge swell, so my experiance of the area was a bit shit (diving, had a great pissup lol)

oh and we had a go on the full hardhat diving, that was seriously good fun

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>the totnes castle is a fantastic wreck dive, i did it two years ago and would have returned there last week if i hadnt consumed so much toffee vodka the evening before  

i very rarely come up with an empty bag!  wah hey! !

found 14 lobbys on a shallow un in babbacombe and even managed to grab hold of a turbot of about two pounds, and yes i did physically grab hold of it, yum!!

havn't done the point for a bit we shall have to get together at august bank holiday doug.

you done any of the slapton or salcombe wrecks doug??

regards

mark

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nitrox @ July 29 2003,19:29)]
you done any of the slapton or salcombe wrecks doug??
Depends on what wrecks you mean.  Mostly dived out of plymouth so Totnes castle is as far East as i've gone by boat.  I've done a few shore dives out that way but nothing too interesting.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Lst507, newholm, medina to name a few of my fave's

what ya doin aug bh then??

mark  

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Nothing planned yet apart from a cockney mate wants to see the deep bit of the Sound.  I might get on the boat to do a shallow one on the way back from the cockneys deep wreck.  This lot have got something organised for B/H weekend.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>simple really.... head straight out towards the large mooring buoy untill it shelves off to about ten meters (high tide).
follow the boulders along that re-inforce the front of the harbour wall get yer torch out and start finding yer supper.

failing that, swim over the kelp bed's out towards oddicombe and get rigt in amongst it at the bottom.
you usually find biggies around there.

im still after the bastard thats under mushroom rock he has to be about six pound's in weight.

i presume you know of mushroom rock yeah??

hth

mark  

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Nope - where's that?

Done the rocks "out of the harbour wall and turn right" - past the small swim through.  Only ever found one lobby there, and he had no claws!!!

Will try further towards Oddicome next time - didn't see much last time though...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>ok,  if you stand on the car park steps and look straight out to sea, and then turn to face what would be between ten and eleven o clock ( towards the cafe) look at the water and spot the extreme left hand mooring buoy.

roughly in the vicinity of that buoy is mushroom rock, known as such because of it looking like a nuclear mushroom cloud.

if you line off the aformentioned buoy and do a circle search you will find it no problem. i'd love to offer you a bearing for it but dont have one as i can usually swim to it blind.

nice formation though, all dead mans fingers down one side and a big scour under it harbouring the biggest babbacombe lobby ive ever seen personally.

only problem is that the hole is deeper than my arm is long  

if you cant find it, ask wayne at the cafe or any of the divers down staff that may be there looking rather localish  with that "get off my land" look in there eyes.

hth

mark

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Cheers - I'll get a bearing if I remember.

Not really related, but I just discovered they do airfills at the cafe.  Anyone know how much, and are they any good?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>the fills are of the average price although the figure wont spring to mind as i dont usually get fills from there.

having said that, theres been nothing wrong with them on the few occasions i have.

waynes ok, just make sure you pay to park in his precious car park or he will cry

hth

mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts