YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling the massive YD knowledge base....
I have been shortlisted for a job interview in Guersney next week involving a 2 day interview -eek!
However, I have never been to Guernsey and besides the issues of relocation/job etc ( which admittedly, are fairly major!)......what's the diving like?
Is there anyone on YD who lives in Guernsey ?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I've got a mate who lived over there, there's a small number of active divers over there, so there are options, and they do have some places set up for fills etc.

Not sure what kind of diving, but they were certainly into a reasonable amount of tech stuff so O2 isn't likely to be a major problem and there are guys with boats out there, not sure if there's charters running from there.

Digs.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
The diving round the islands is supposed to be fantastic as I understand it although beware of the tides, some big drop offs and ripping currents. On the other hand lovely clear unpolluted water. I'd jump at it if the job paid well.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Haven't been there for a long while but the diving was excellent - we only did 30m ish stuff - quite a few wrecks - Rudolf Wahrenberg is just outside St Peter Port harbour entrance. Some amazing walls and pinnacles. The tidal range is huge - around 12m. Makes for some interesting dives....

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
Fab diving, huge tidal range but very clear waters and usually excellent vis. I lived in Jersey for 4 years and worked on both Jersey and Guernsey and have been back often. Would love to live there again - fabulous place to live and work and great climate generally. Bit like going back to the 1960's but with all the modern stuff too. Never had any locks to our external doors and never needed them. Postman used to leave the post on our kitchen table !

Beautiful island and friendly people - I'm jealous ! Send me some turbot and langoustine if you take the job please !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I guess thats a positive for the diving then?!
Sounds great apart from the 12m tidal range, is that right?-Wow!
I dive a fair bit of tec stuff, would be great to take my rebreather over there, if there's opportunities. I enjoy taking (bad) photos too, so maybe I should take some dive kit to the interview....
Divingminxy-The job, if offered, comes with a 5 year residency permit but not sure what happens after that, any clues?
Thanks to all
Chris

·
hates the wind
889 Posts
Hi Chris

I live in Guernsey, have done all my life and i like it. Have been diving locally for about 4-5 years and the local scene is quite active if you know the right people

Should be a link in my signature for the local BSAC club and we go out at least 3 or four times a week on our RIB (shortly to be upgraded to carry 8 at a push)

There are loads of locals who have their own boats so plenty of oportunity to do a large range of dives.

Not many 'breather divers that i know of but there is a group of techie divers who do the odd trimix dive. O2 and nitrox not a problem to get easily up to 300bar, Helium more of an issue. There are a few people that will pump it from their own supply but as it is a between friends sort of thing, they will only do it for people they know and are happy with. Not too hard to get 'in the know' though.

Diving itself covers whatever you want. Loads of fishy things to see, over 300 wrecks (i think) in local waters from 8ish meters to 70-80+. Reefs and walls are quite common sites to visit as are large callop drifts. a few dozen being the average catch per person.

Vis usually around 10M and mostly boat dives. There are some good shore dives but it is more faff than it's worth when the boat is only round the corne. Not that much in the sub 20M range to be honest though

tidal range is up to about 10M but once you get used to it, there isn't really a problem.

The 5year residency thing is a bit cmoplex but basically, you get a 5 year licence to work. This may be extended to 7 years on application depending on the job you are going for and how 'valuable' it is to the island. Once the permit has run out, unless you are loaded and can afford to live on the non-local housing market (which isn't cheap), or considered local (which still isn't cheep) by that time you basically have to leave. Like i say, there are lots of ifs and buts but it is basically to try to keep jobs available to locals where possible.

Before i get flamed on the above thing, yes, it is harsh!

If you want any more info on anything, let me know, happy to help out

Edit - when are you over? Can meet for a chat if you like. Local club also meets wednesdays so you could get a more varied opinion on the diving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's brilliant Dammyla, thank you, that's all really helpful.
Didn't mean to upset you with the residency question, I just had never heard of this before but I can see how it protects local jobs/housing!
I'm there Thursday to Saturday, with interviews/job hoops to jump through at various points, but, having never been to any of the Channel Islands before I am really looking forward to it, ready to be a complete tourist in my hours off! If you have any time free it would be great to have a chat at some point, thanks.
Cheers
Chris

·
hates the wind
889 Posts
Hi Chris

Not upset at all, as a local i am pretty much indifferent as it doesn't really affect me. People can get quite emotional about it though!

Anyway, you have PM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.