YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
bulging sweaty dirty putrescent member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
came across this and found it interesting.
you can see the Glock being pretty dangerous at close range
what sort of range might this be effective at? anyone got the maths

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Mythbusters Shooting 50 Caliber Sniper into Water - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSTuLIjRm83 Sep 2010 - 2 min - Uploaded by martymartians

Mythbusters Shooting 50 Caliber Sniper into Water ... powerfullest gun in the world is chuck Norris ...
50 Caliber Sniper - Video May 2006 - 2 min
Mythbusters tested by putting a block of ballistics gel underwater and shooting through various depths to ...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
What I seem to remember from Mythbusters is that the slower the muzzle velocity of the weapon, the further it seemed to penetrate. For the really powerful rifles the bullett disintegrated on impact with the water and didn't even go for a metre or more.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I shouldn't be saying this on a sports diving forum but in the boxes of old LARV's (mil-spec oxygen rebreathers) comes a little box
with the P11

Now the Heckler and Koch P11 is only a five shot "bulls eye billy" dart thrower but I guess one way to clear the pond real quick
at Stoney Cove.

Enjoy the video

HK P11 Underwater Pistol - YouTube

The rest you can get off Google

Should add to reload it goes back to the factory
Iain Middlebrook

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
I shouldn't be saying this on a sports diving forum but in the boxes of old LARV's (mil-spec oxygen rebreathers) comes a little box
with the P11

Now the Heckler and Koch P11 is only a five shot "bulls eye billy" dart thrower but I guess one way to clear the pond real quick
at Stoney Cove.

Enjoy the video

The rest you can get off Google

Should add to reload it goes back to the factory
Iain Middlebrook
I found a shiney empty shell on the Stanegrath the 2nd time i ever dived Stoney and was always puzzled how it got there. Could it possibly be from these sorts of testings?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
What I seem to remember from Mythbusters is that the slower the muzzle velocity of the weapon, the further it seemed to penetrate.
I can't remember where but I've heard that before ....... "go slower / better penetration". Hmmm, I hate it when a memory eludes me. I'll ask SWMBO to see if she can remember.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I found a shiney empty shell on the Stanegrath the 2nd time i ever dived Stoney and was always puzzled how it got there. Could it possibly be from these sorts of testings?
Dont look at me dude, Im just the messenger :angel: Besides we are miles away from Stoney up in the wilds of Loughborough It would never reach that far.

I could tell you the background story but maybe should get clarification first. Used to work for folk with a real interest in "Means of Entry" sometimes using a plane but mostly doors and walls.
My bits were mostly for the wet stuff. But our best work was on the soil nailer gun GW1

Here is a pic of what the other lot has, I posted years back.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ok checked its already out. and I quote:

"The ballistic "soil nailer" is a declassified British military cannon developed for military application by Ferranti
Space and Defence to launch chemical weapons. Canisters were projected up to 10km in field demonstrations."

So I guess in principle Stoney Cove is do-able , but I still think you would have noticed more evidence LOL

Only a few of the big guns were built they are now used to fire 2 inch diameter 30 foot long steel tubes into high sloping soil embankments to
stabilise soil. Hense the "Soil Nailer" tag. I may have rabbit problem in our back field I will let you know how good the hand held version works
at 800 yards LOL Iain Middlebrook

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
To be honest it was the Yanks experience in Vietnam crawling through miles of tunnels with traps pits and siphons that swung it for us.

With these things you could poke a 2 diameter inch hole 20 foot through a underground hardened concrete and steel shelter.

After you poked the hole and could send a "Hello wish you are well, sorry for the noise" message down in a little bottle. Iain

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Surely if an underwater weapon is need, a speargun is far more useful - a damn site quieter for one thing! ;-)
Bowe.

A speargun is for killing fish.

The HK P11 was faster to operate, a larger 7mm calibre and 200mm long projectile more accurate over the first 6 to 12 metres underwater of its 20 to 30 metres topside range.

Designed to be used for something much further up the food chain. Iain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts