YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another DIY question, I'm afraid.

I need to replace the gyprock along the corridor in my hovel (water damaged). I am planning on replacing 'like for like' but I wondered if there was some modern alternative to gyprock?

Actually, make that 2 questions. Rafter noggins. How do you get them to finish in the right position after hammering the nails in at an angle? I'm worried about the noggins finishin too low? If I'm nogging/noggining in an area with a finished ceiling below I presume I should use screws i/o nails to fix the noggins?

Whils you are in a helpful mood: what IS the point of being alive?
:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gyproc or plasterboard made by any manufacure is still the easiest way of getting a smooth wall finish without employing a plasterer... joint with some scrim tape and filler over the top to finish.

Im not quite sure what the point is you are making about the noggings but I would say for ease of working, if they are moving while you are hammering them in maybe screwing them would be a better option.

·
mari usque ad mare
978 Posts
1 i am on project at the moment constructing a 7 billion US dollar hospital and most of the walls are constructed from gypsum , so i would say that this is the modern method , we are using cement board in some areas but i would say that this is expensive alternative.
2 no idea. maybe just beat them back into position with a very large hammer i have seen carpenters doing this before
3 to procreate

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Plasterboard is about as good as it gets. We use miles of it in new build, nobody wants wet plaster any more. The cement boards mentioned above are good in wet areas but they weigh a ton and they aren't cheap.

Reactions: Finless

·
mari usque ad mare
978 Posts
Plasterboard is about as good as it gets. We use miles of it in new build, nobody wants wet plaster any more. The cement boards mentioned above are good in wet areas but they weigh a ton and they aren't cheap.
we are using the cement board for the granite stone and marble walls

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please use British Gypsum stuff. They're one of my biggest and oldest customers.
Can they deliver 3 sheets to Bexhill?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts