YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

GI3 has been raving against the Inspiration again on Techdiver recently.
But he just made this highly unusual statement:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...makes some little quip about how "safe" it is to dive ccr over oc. Well, that would be true if the bailout were set up properly, you had a real buddy team and not these clowns, if you had proper training and not the weekend warrior courses that predominate, and of course, the big one, if you had a decent CCR and not the K Mart "Buddy Inspiration".
So he appears to have changed his stance from "all CCRs are deathtraps" to "CCRs can be safe if dived properly"
Cynic that I am, I wonder if Halcyon is about to make a move to CCR production..?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Dom,

I heard that they, Halcyon, are about to launch one soon, so watch this space mate.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Oh?
Where'd you hear that?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dilbert: The cynics are right
Dogbert: We usually are

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Yeah, but that's a SCR - no electronics & no Oxygen bottle, it adds Nitrox continually.

A CCR is where you have sensors monitoring the loop ppO2 and add pure Oxygen to keep the breathing mix at the desired setpoint.

Every other post I've seen GI3 make on the subject of rebreathers is that the Halcyon is higher-risk than OC but still safe enough to use, all other RBs are unacceptable, and CCR is the absolute worst of the lot. He's been totally uncompromising about that. Until now when, suddenly, he's said that they're fine if you use the right one, and use it properly.

Which I just find strange...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

He wrote on tech diver many many years ago that he didn't think any of the CCRs he'd tried were good enough so its not so much he's changed his mind as reverted back to a much older viewpoint.

Scotty

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

who gives a sh-te what gi3 jones thinks just leave i'm to it and  enjoy ya diving
its a small pond with to many fish with big heads to feed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts