YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My torch appears to no longer want to charge, so using my keen engineer's brain I have deduced that this is either down to a duff battery (likely as it was left flat for ages) or a dicky charger.

I plan to replace the battery first, but I am loather than a loathe thing to pay the DIRdirect price of £56 for a replacment battery when the battery itself should only cost about £20 and the connector soldering i am quite capable of doing myself.

Only thing is, I do mechanics, not electrics and HID lights worry me....so, seeing as i can't seem to find a direct match for the existing 12V 2.9 Amp Hr battery that is duff, should I go for a 2.8 Amp hour or 3.3 Amp hour?

What risks am I taking with either of those choices?

Cheers

Lou

·
GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
1,259 Posts
My torch appears to no longer want to charge, so using my keen engineer's brain I have deduced that this is either down to a duff battery (likely as it was left flat for ages) or a dicky charger.

I plan to replace the battery first, but I am loather than a loathe thing to pay the DIRdirect price of £56 for a replacment battery when the battery itself should only cost about £20 and the connector soldering i am quite capable of doing myself.

Only thing is, I do mechanics, not electrics and HID lights worry me....so, seeing as i can't seem to find a direct match for the existing 12V 2.9 Amp Hr battery that is duff, should I go for a 2.8 Amp hour or 3.3 Amp hour?

Cheers

Lou
Hi Lou,

Go for the one that fits in the canister :) Seriously, either of the 2 options will be fine, just as long as it actually fits. Then just be careful when putting the wires back onto the battery to get the polarity right.

HTH

John

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
the connector soldering i am quite capable of doing myself.

Cheers

Lou
if the replacment 12 volt battery fits in it will work, Maplins would be a good place to look.
If you solder it the wrong way around the balast will let out all the magic smoke :) and never work again.
So just unsolder one wire from the old batery then solder it on to the new, this should make it harder to get it wong.

DAvid

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
As said whatever fits, current capacity will have no affect on your torch other than lasting a little longer.

RS components woud be the cheapest place, failing that then CPC will be the next cheapest. Maplins is retail, RS is trade, CPC is between the 2.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers chaps. I will have a look about for the right battery and get it on order tomorrow :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts