YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The string on my wing dump valve has a couple of frays in it which are nothing to worry about yet but I want to replace the string for a larger gauge string.

I've removed the valve but it doesn't look like it comes apart :( Does it? or do I have to replace the whole valve?

·
Registered
603 Posts
The string on my wing dump valve has a couple of frays in it which are nothing to worry about yet but I want to replace the string for a larger gauge string.

I've removed the valve but it doesn't look like it comes apart :( Does it? or do I have to replace the whole valve?
It does come apart but it can be pretty tight. I had to use pliers to hold the insert part and then twisted the top part off.

·
Registered
947 Posts

Hi,

there is a step-by-step guide with lots of pictures here. I replaced mine with nice thick cord using that guide.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Hi,

there is a step-by-step guide with lots of pictures here. I replaced mine with nice thick cord using that guide.

Cheers,

Mark.
Yup - that's what I've done with all my cold water wings. On the whole, it's good advice except for this bit...

"Use a permanent marker to color the string black." (point 6) which is just sad!...

...everyone knows you should use black string - it doesn't need 'colouring in'! lol :D

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Yup - that's what I've done with all my cold water wings. On the whole, it's good advice except for this bit...

"Use a permanent marker to color the string black." (point 6) which is just sad!...

...everyone knows you should use black string - it doesn't need 'colouring in'! lol :D
:D I, ahem, .... know .... yep that's the word ..... a saddo that used a permanent marker to do that and now the string is purple :) I must colour it in again .... I mean advise the saddo to colour it in again !!

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I think I must have a different type as I can't disassemble it even with waterpump pliers, hammer, chisel, hacksaw, angle grinder and diamond cutter :(

I think I'll be buying a new valve then :(

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
:D I, ahem, .... know .... yep that's the word ..... a saddo that used a permanent marker to do that and now the string is purple :) I must colour it in again .... I mean advise the saddo to colour it in again !!
Pfft - that's really sad!!!

(I need to the same :embarassed:)

Well, I think I must have a different type as I can't disassemble it even with waterpump pliers, hammer, chisel, hacksaw, angle grinder and diamond cutter :(

I think I'll be buying a new valve then :(
What on earth are you doing to it?! The bit on the outside should just unscrew relatively easily and then you can get at the bit with the string attached. You then just need to poke out the rubber seal which is glued into the plastic holder to reveal one knotted end of the string.

Have you taken the whole dump valve off the wing?

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
Yeah....that just unscrews.....but I can't get to this stage
I think this is a different design to the linked one......the wing is an older one.
Hmm could be then - the bit on the left in the picture is what unscrews on mine. Once it's unscrewed the spring naturally expands and it looks exactly like the picture.

Can you post a picture of what you've got left now you've ripped it off what's left of your wing? :teeth:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Doesn' t the valve comein two parts... when I took the dump off my wing, I accidently undid the crown nut that holds the bladder in place as well. I had to screw it back on and then unscrew the top section leaving the crown nut still on the wing..

·
Registered
733 Posts
The design of dump valves has changed over the years, sounds like you have an older valve which wont come apart (at least not without some violence and in such a way that you will be able to put it back together again).

cheers,
Paul

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.