YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on Halcyon wings and which back plate to go for (I will rig my own 1 piece harness)

Firstly, my kit. I currently dive with twin 10's, sometimes with 7's side mounted. I intend to upgrade to 12's quite soon (NEC probably)

Looking at the Halcyon website (www.halcyon.net) I think I have 2 options, the explorer 40 and the explorer 55. I am heading towards the 55 I think. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with these wings?

As to back plates. I have found the Combro (http://www.combro.co.uk/scuba/) plate made originally for UK.rec.scuba. I do not want to ask these questions over there as I might not get the balanced view I am looking for - has anyone got one, has anyone got an opinion on them and has anyone had any problems with them. They seem a hell of a lot cheaper than others around.

Any advice gratfully received

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ Oct. 23 2003,13:48)]As to back plates. I have found the Combro (http://www.combro.co.uk/scuba/) plate made originally for UK.rec.scuba. I do not want to ask these questions over there as I might not get the balanced view I am looking for - has anyone got one, has anyone got an opinion on them and has anyone had any problems with them. They seem a hell of a lot cheaper than others around.
Fantastic value for money.  I have been extremely pleased with mine.

They are unfinished so might need a quick rub over just to remove any rough edges.  Mine took 10 minutes max.

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Combro plates are great. The only reason he started selling them is people kept on buying them

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Daz/dominic,

Thanks for the quick replies!

The finishing was something I thought about. When you say a quick rub (oh-er), do you mean with emery paper, or a file/grinder? Have you had any problems since with rough edges?

Paul

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

A file & some paper worked for me - bear in mind you have to smooth off the slots for the webbing as well, so you need a thin file or some paper..

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Paul

I'd strongly suggest the 40# Explorer rather than the 55#

I'm currently using the 55 with twin twelve Fabers and feel that it's too big, that size wing was really designed for those big tanks that the yanks like to use for caving and therefore it wraps around our twelve ltrs slightly too much for my liking and can help create extra drag, plus its a little more awkward to dump air with the sides of the wing wrapping around and up.

I'd strongly recommend the 40 for your needs, it's what I want and would love for someone to swap me their 40 for my 55

Bob Cooper is a good man to ask, he dives the 40 with twin twelves and multiple stages with no problem at all as far as I'm aware... I believe he also owns a 55 but takes that over to Florida when he's caving although I may have imagined that last bit... memory problems dontcha know

HTH
Dave.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ Oct. 23 2003,13:48)]Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on Halcyon wings and which back plate to go for (I will rig my own 1 piece harness)

Firstly, my kit. I currently dive with twin 10's, sometimes with 7's side mounted. I intend to upgrade to 12's quite soon (NEC probably)

Looking at the Halcyon website (www.halcyon.net) I think I have 2 options, the explorer 40 and the explorer 55. I am heading towards the 55 I think. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with these wings?

As to back plates. I have found the Combro (http://www.combro.co.uk/scuba/) plate made originally for UK.rec.scuba. I do not want to ask these questions over there as I might not get the balanced view I am looking for - has anyone got one, has anyone got an opinion on them and has anyone had any problems with them. They seem a hell of a lot cheaper than others around.

Any advice gratfully received

Paul
<font color='#000080'>Paul,

go for the 40lb wing with 12s. I have both 55 and 40lb wings. The top of the 55lb wing sits a little too close to the manifold and makes it hard to properly grab hold of the left post. I don't have that problem with the 40lb wing. I know I could adjust the tank bands to avoid the problem but that's not how to set them up correctly.

The combro plates are ok but they are not as ok as the Halcyon ones.

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Yes, Dave is right about the wings. 55lb is too big for the 2x12's.  Go for the 40lb one.

Regarding the Combro backplate, I have known people have trouble mating that plate to a set of Highland bands.  The bolts that come with the Highland bands aren't long enough to pass through the plate.  If you are not using Highland bands then it's unlikely to be a problem, just something you need to be aware of.  There is a considerable cost saving in getting the Combro plate versus the Halcyon one though (like £60 cheaper or something!).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

My 2nd (and more detailed) answer to this one...........

Paul

Dave is quite correct.  When I did my first cave class I used a "modified"
DR rec-wing (bungies removed, short hose, pull dump removed etc.  This
didn't give enough lift to float me on the surface in fresh water with BIG
steel tanks (LP 104's).  I "borrowed" a Halcyon 55lb wing for the rest of my
class which was perfect for the 104's.  I asked about the "ideal" wing for
European 12L tanks and was recommended the 40lb wing (I think they called it
a 45lb wing in those days, but they are basically the same wing).  So, I
bought one and use it regularly here with twin 12's, stages etc.  The 40lb
wing will float your rig in fresh water and it will comfortably float you in
your rig in fresh water with stages etc.

At the time most people were recommending the 55lb wing for European twin
12's and I could never undersand why.  When Andrew G came over here in March
to teach the first GUE classes he was surprised to find everybody using 55lb
wings and told them they should be using the smaller ones.

So, in summary, I use my 40lb wing with twin 10's and 12's here. I only use
the 55lb wing in USA where we are diving the big heavy tanks.  Dave is right
about the dumping problem. I know of people who have had this trouble too.

Hope this helps.

Bob

PS. I'll post this to YD too.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The bolts that come with the Highland bands aren't long enough to pass through the plate.
Can you not just get some new longer bolts from a chandlers? That's what I did with my bands that came with fecking threaded rods...

I'm not a user of Highland bands, so excuse the question

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

How do I know if I have highland bands? Are they a particular brand, or a generic term for a certain type?

The bolts on my bands at the moment (divers warehouse fitted, I don't think they have a brand on them) are not that long as they sit comfortably behind my Buddy commando at the moment. I am assuming I will be able to adjust them to give some more length as and when I need to? Or not?

Paul

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

You'd know if you had the Highland Mills bands Paul as they are big, bold, built like a brick shithouse, very expensive and the bolts are as thick as yer wrist.... They also don't make them to fit cylinders using the MDE manifold so if you're running that particular manifold then you most definitely don't have them.

If you got your bands from Divers Warehouse then I'm fairly sure they'll be OMS bands

HTH
Dave.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I use both Custom Divers wings, bands and back plate. My bands came with threaded rods of which are long, when I adj. them they came 50mm longer and I saw them as entanglement hazard and if you pull the set on a rib you can damage the rib. So what I did, I just bought a 316 ss bolt and cut it to desired length.

SO what I am suggesting is if you want to buy Halycon wing and Combro plate and highmill bands, changing the bolt is not a big problem. No one here uses same setup and can suggest from experience ?

Hope this helps.

Pierre

1 - 13 of 13 Posts