YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I was surprised to read the other day that at the right time of year (I think around November), there is the possibility of seeing Hammerheads in Tenerife and other Canary Islands. Now i'm not expecting hundreds ala Cocos &  Malpelo, but how common they are at the right time of year?

After reading the Tenerife trip report I'm seriously considering a trip, a hammerhead sighting certainly would be a bonus!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

If you want to see sharks in the Canaries I think you're best off going to El Hierro in summer. I have an excellent (and difficult to find) book called "Diving in Canaries" by sergio hanquet. I'll look it up when I get home.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

Here we are, according to this book ("Diving in Canaries")...

..."It is a species of pelagic habits, although it comes closer to the coast in summer (Frequent in La Gomera) It can often be spotted from boats, although not very often when diving."...

Apparently tiger sharks are someteimes seen in the North of Fuertaventura, bull sharks in El Hierro (I didn't see any, although the father-in-law says he saw a mako there in October) and blue sharks generally.

The book contains a picture of a mako taken in the (>3500M deep) channel between Tenerife & Gomera.

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Hi all

Sergio Hanquet's book is the "bible" of the Tenerife diver; Sergio is a nice guy as well. Belgian, just incidentally.  The book is generally available here, so if anyone wants it, let me know. There are always a few divers visiting here who would be willing to take one back to England and post it to you.

Hammerheads and other pelagic fish come in late summer/autumn, but rarely close to shore. Last hammerhead sighting I heard about close to shore (and darn, I missed it!)was a months and months ago.

Tiger, blue and bull sharks are all to be found here, but sighting are rare, not only on TF but on the other islands as well. Reports of great whites are out there, but if I believed them, I doubt that I would be diving here *grin*. I suggest that shark sightings here are not as frequent as they are made out to be. Most sightings are in blue water, which makes for a lot of time spent hovering and looking at absolutely nothing, with no guarantee that you will have a sighting.

There are other large fish, such as jacks and tuna in the summer. A huge jack the size of yourself is awesome!

Speaking of the channel between TF and La Gomera, did you know that it is inhabited by GIANT squid...one washed up by Los Gigantes last year, was supposedly over 15m long. The squid population also explains the resident pilot whale population of approx. 700.

Hope this helps.

moray

·
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Jay

A copy of Diving in Canaries for you? Of course darlin'..but you have to come pick it up, that is correct *grin* I will NOT have YOUR copy mailed to you hehehe....

Send me a pic of Hannah in her shorty, I just KNOW she looks adorable.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Will do Rebecca - she's got chicken pox at the moment but once she's better, I'll be taking her back to the pool for her swimming lessons. Have all your house guests gone now? Must be nice not to have any cats vomiting at night!

·
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Jay, chicken pox? uh oh...poor baby.

No more house guests for the moment...the last ones were a nightmare...most dangerous diver I have EVER experienced...not invited back. The cats have calmed down, thank heaven *grin*

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moray @ Jan. 23 2004,20:15)]...the last ones were a nightmare...most dangerous diver I have EVER experienced...not invited back.
You MUST PM me with more details Rebecca! Say 'Hi' to Mike please and tell him I'm looking forward to our next debate on thermodynamics!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have lived and dived the Canaries for the Past 6 years and I haven't seen Hammerheads while underwater but during a Boat trip we saw around 15 Hammerheads playing in the wake like Dolphins! This in the North Part of the Island! We have seen Mako's and Whale Shark's as well but very rare are they sighted!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have dived with them here on Tenerife but it is a along boatride to teno and they are nly there around late september and even then one has to have a fair bit of luck. But rays on the other hand one can guarantee in all shapes and sizes. Found this one this afternoon.

Hope this helps
Regards
Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts