• Clive Woodward

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marting Johnson

• Jonny Wilkinson

• Rest of the England Rugby team

• Tim Henman (If anyone votes him.......!!!!!!!)

• Tessa Sanderson

• Nicholas Parsons

• Chris Tarrant

• Other

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>I'm sorry to be a moaner, but I really think these are handed out for sneezing now days, I mean, what have the above done for their country?!?!

The ONLY person I think deserves it is Michael Watson!

These awards should be given to everyday people who have made a considerable differance to their own or someone elses life.

x x x

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well don't you think England winning the World Cup has made a positive difference to the nation?

I agree that they do seem to get handed out to people for no other reason than that they are well known and it's just about their turn. There are some amazing unsung heroes in the general community but I do think they are starting to get some recognition now that the general public can make nominations.

But then, you look at the like of Nicholas Parsons and wonder why? Well, I expect it probably has more to do with charity work or such like that you never hear about, rather than Sale Of The Century! (But then you wouldn't remember that anyway!).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Imported post

I agree Kate.... most of those listed are simply getting a "gong" for doing what they love. OK; winning the rugby world cup was an absolutely magnificent achievement, but it is not as if they are doing it for free!

Chris Tarrant and Nicholas Parsons...... per-lease! Services to game shows??!

Michael Watson is a notable exception on the list. Cut down in his prime, his London Marathon this year was an amazing effort.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Dec. 31 2003,15:23)]sorry to be really thick but who is michael watson
A boxer who nearly died in a fight with Eubank many years ago. It was thought he would never walk again - but this year he walked the london marathon

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>ok thank you just been and read the story, sorry but the name didn't ring a bell straight off

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

In my humblest opinion, Clive Woodward should get a Knighthood for shepherding the team to Rugby World Cup victory; the rest of the England team should receive the senior gong in the OBE/CBE/MBE pantheon. The others are all non-entities.

Henman scores highly in the irony stakes: he has, afterall,  made something of a successful career of failure at the highest rungs of the game; Michael Watson - isn't he the boxer who got mullah'd so badly he went into a coma? Dude, if you're gonna let other folk beat you repeatedly round the bonce, then hey, here's the news, you can end up in a coma! And he gets a gong for that? Fuck me, I'm no doctor and I could have told him he ran the risk of ending up the stunning conversationalist that Mohammad Ali has turned out be! FFS!

Tessa Sanderson? Ah yes, that great Olympian talent: she came fifth in a three-horse race? Where's the achievement there? Nicholas Parson? OK, for services to radio on 'Just a Minute' on Radio 4, but, come on, 'Sale of the 'Kin Century'?? Behave yerself! Christ Tarrant could have single-handedly taken the top gong for happily the most nauseating git on both TV and radio, or, to give it its correct acronym Talent Wasted Again Tarrant (TWAT).

If e'er talent was so proven (in most of the above cases) to be ephemeral, or merely a case of 'Famous for Being Famous', it is writ large here in these awards!

When children hold the like of than uber-nonce, Beckham, in reverence and above the likes (whom they can't even name!) of VC winners and the late PC Ian Broadhurst?! (sighs....)

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Well, they changed the rules.  Now the great unwashed can vote en masse for whoever has been on the telly enough.  So the great achievers and the unsung heros play second fiddle to whichever overpaid flavour of the month gets the vote.  So much for progress.

Perhaps we don't know the full story about Parsons and Sanderson et al but then perhaps part of the deal should be that their story gets explained?

Don't know who'd get my vote.  What about my Mrs for putting up with me being away diving so much!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>KATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wheres my BLOODYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY name on ya list ?

Andy

p.s , << must remember >> take KATE off next years X Mas card list

1 - 10 of 10 Posts