YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm after some GPS advice please.

I'm looking for a unit that fullfills the following requirments.

1. Can be attached to a bike handlebar
2. Logs routes with time and distance and the route map can be uploaded to pc for viewing.
3. Routes can be saved and used at a later date.
4. Setable Waypoints so I can find my way back :D
5. Not too expensive.

I think that's it for now :D

Cheers.

Ian

·
(Formerly Polarbears Dave) - YD advertiser
267 Posts
Garmin Foretrex 101, about £70 shipped from the US on ebay, but the pc cable is extra
I use one with Memory Map software, means I can save routes on the pc then upload them to the unit, and vice versa
cheers
dave
drysuitrepair.co.uk

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Im pretty sure garmin make a model that does everything you asked for, when i had my mountain bike i was looking for one as im a gadget freak.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
hi ya ian you wont go far wrong with a magellan gps system !

and i think they will be of use to put on the bike handlebars too!

The Magellan eXplorist 210 satellite navigation system keeps you on course with a built-in basemap of Europe, high-speed USB data port and 22 MB of memory to download additional mapping content, coordinates from the internet, to save tracks, routes, points of interest, geocaches and more. Includes advanced file memory system to easily save, organize and access your data.

and i think ya can get em as low as £99 but ive no dought google will find it cheaper somewhere

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I do something similar (take a GPS when i'm out on my bike), but approached it slightly differently. While I did look at the type of thing mentioned above, I preferred to have "proper" maps and already had some Memory Map stuff, so ended up getting a Windows Mobile PDA/phone (O2 XDA Mini). Actually works out cheaper than a similar PDA even if you include the cost of the contract and never ever use it. Memory Map does all the logging / tracking stuff, with the advantage you can stick the Landranger / Explorer maps on it. Means I can go out a long way from home without having to carefully pre-plan routes and keep stopping to check which way I need to go, just head off in vaguely the right direction and keep updating my route as I go.

Might not be what you want, but I found I preferred this approach to getting a dedicated GPS thing.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts