YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Sorry bring this up again everyone, at the end of my last post I said I was about to do a Nitrox qual.

A few emails later Ive got prices from £260 (PADI 2 day) down to £85 (TDI 1/2 day). I realise that there are differences, 2 dives vs no dives, distance to travel etc, detail etc.. but as (unless Im mistaken) Nitrox is mainly theory? I cant quite grasp why I would want to do the more expensive PADI course just (at this stage) to use Nitrox at 18m, wouldnt I be better doing the basic TDI course then moving on to the Advanced TDI courses instead as my experience increases?

http://www.dive-tech.co.uk/courses.htm is where, for example, Ive seen the course "TDI Nitrox Diver". Would this qualify me to use/buy Nitrox?

Or am I missing something?

Regards
Ron

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>yes you are allowed to buy and dive nitrox up to 40%
bsac course is the same no diving fequired
what part of uk are you in?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

£260? ?  Blimey, I don't remember it costing me that much back in the day.. Are you sure they've got their prices right? Go with the TDI Nitrox Diver course - yes it will qualify you to use & buy mixes up to 40%

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Ahhh that becuase nitrox is the devil's gas.
TDI has sold it soul to Lucifer and as a result gets a good deal on nitrox and can sell the course alot cheaper than the likes of PADI.

You can do the basic or depending on your instructor go straight for the advance nitrox course or better still do the basic for now and if at a later date you decide you want to go further then do the adv.nitrox course combined with the deco course and save yourself a few quid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Dave, I live a few miles south of Manchester, but I'm quite happy to travel (within reason
)

Rob, I thought it seemed steep (although it does include two dives I guess) this is taken off a pricelist I was emailed, unless I'm misreading it and its a totally different thing (which is a definite possibility  
)

""Enriched Air Diver– knowledge development and two dives Crewpack includes EANx Tables. £265""

Regards
Ron

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Well this one may finish up going round & round, but (having done the PADI course) I personally don't see the need for the two dives.  When all's said and done - if you've learnt and understood the theory, been shown how to analyse your gas and have a decent set of tables to go with, then you're ready to splosh on the stuff.
That said - the PADI course notes are definitely better than TDI's in terms of ease-of-use.  I read the TDI manual a year ago & it made my head spin

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Mar. 07 2004,13:48)]I read the TDI manual a year ago & it made my head spin
Quel suprise! YBODs for you!  

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

when i took my padi basic nitrox it was £120 including 2 dives also im not sure with the tech agencies like tdi if you get all the dive tables plus the 2 dives where compulsary with padi and i plannned my own dives also !!!!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

£260 for basic Nitrox is beyond rip-off, way beyond.  If you wanted to do TDI basic and Advanced nitrox combined it still wouldn't cost you that much.

TDI don't go for the glossy magazines or the special nitrox tables - what it does give you is knowledge that is far more flexible and means you won't need to buy any nitrox tables.  Being specific it teaches you the principle of Equivalent Air Depth (EAD) - do a search for this on t'internet if you want an explanation.

Also, pick the right TDI instructor and you will get far more valuable info about diving skills in general than you would from any PADI course.  Have a chat with Andy Hayhurst Webpage here, he will sort you out.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The Gozo Aqua Sports pice list has £96 for nitrox which includes two dives.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Agree with Tim, Ron.

Get in touch with Andy 'DALESDIVER' Hayhurst and you can do the TDI combined Basic and Advanced Nitrox course for either £125 or £135!! And for that you get:

* 4 dives
* 4 mixes
* Theory sessions
* All exams and tests
* Final certification

I too live in Manchester and I used (along with about 40 odd others off here) Andy, and for the precise course I descibe above. Highly recommend it too!

Enjoy and dive safe.

PS: The geeza who wanted 260-odd notes for the PADI course - what colour mask was he wearing?

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I entirely agree with what Bren and Tim said. Your just down the road (M6) from the Lakes and Dales Divers. I can also vouch for how thorough Andy Hayhurst and his team are. Dave King, Digger, Steve C and myself did the Basic and Advanced Nitrox course with Andy last weekend. We spent a day in Andy's brand new Classroom on the theory which is packed with loads of great ancilary information and not at a level, which will confuse you. We then spent two days diving in the lakes, two on skills, one test dive and one fun dive. Andy provides a very good service and I would not hesitate to recomend him to anyone. Get 9 other freinds locally or from YD and get in touch with Andy about booking the course.

We got the course booklet, the registration and administration, the dives and all the gas, a team of very able instructors, all included in the one price.

Before last weekend I knew very little of what nitrox was never mind how to use it. I booked on the Basic and Advanced course with Dave King's lot, and the course met all my needs and more. I was quite apprehensive about what we were expected to do on the dives but Andy and his team were very professional, extremely able and approachable. My experience with Techy divers before this course was tainted by the ignorant attitudes of some of the divers in my club but this course and the instructors dispelled all my negative veiws of technical divers. TDI produce a very good course booklet which is clear and gives you all the information you need. We booked local accomodation for 10 pounds each a night for three days. A local converted barn which sleeps 10 with fantastic facilities and veiws of the lakes to die for. I came away from last weekend with a renewed vigour for diving.

Organise a gig with DalesDivers and you'll not regret it.

Dave C

·
Registered
330 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
Just done my basic Nitrox 2 weeks ago with TDI  www.dive-tech.co.uk the course was a half day with no dives and cost only £70 it was an excellent course and would recomend it as it was easy to understand and good value for money .
Fiona.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Perhaps I should qualify my earlier post on course materials.  Diving the Yellow Contraption of Doom I reckon I've got as much of an appreciation of PPO2s, Dalton's triangle etc as anyone else out there & the TDI manual was - I felt - a little impenetrable in isolation.  That said, a decent instructor will make it all worthwhile.  Did Adv Nit/Deco with a superb TDI instructor yonks back & he made it look a peace of piss.  As regards the tech agencies thing...... Did CCR Mod1 under IANTD & CCR full Trimix under TDI.  The difference?  None that I could see......Same instructor    Though apparently IANTD carries more kudos if that's your bag.
£260 really is taking the piss.  

Footnote:  Shut it Finless you bogeybum  
  FFM? S&M more like, ya perv.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Ron,
I'm not quite sure where they got £260 from, I've just done the PADI nitrox for £75 with the local shop. The normal price is £150 but they do it for £75 if you book it in conjunction with any course that has 2 or more dives.

Simon A

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My buddy and I are based in Essex and have been debating about completing a Nitrox course. Spoke to a very interesting guy, Ian Forster at Gildenburgh a couple of days ago and he was suggesting the ANDI LSU Level 1 and CSU Level 2 course.
Does anyone have any experience in this course?

All the best,

Ian

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Basically what Bren said

Dalesdiver will now offer PADI Nitrox if required and it wont be £260 that is a lot of money

Give Andy a bell and have a chat and he will put you on the right track for the course that is best for you at a very fair price.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>This is where we stayed:

Poppy Barn

Its a palacial Barn conversion which sleeps 10, in 5 bedrooms, with three bathrooms, living room and large Kitchen. Beutifull location and only 5 mins from the M6 junction 36. So from Essex its just round the M25, avoiding parking attendants
 then up the M40 and after paying 2 quid toll, round Birmingham at 70 mph (honist officer) then up the M6 for an hour or so before arriving for a wonderfull three days of diving bliss.

Dave C

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

Thanks a million everyone....

Have swapped emails with Andy (how efficient is that!) and am just working out a date with him to get the course sorted in the next couple of weeks.

And with great recommendations from here plus a *really* agreeable price (including dives!!), I'm really glad I asked now!!

Cheers !

Regards
Ron

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Another satisified customer.  Right, we await the course / trip report once all is done.

Believe me tho, you will enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts