• Rib Dive

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK fellow divers what do you prefer, dont get all tight fisted and start spouting cost implications either, just the basics cos for this poll they all cost the same.

Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

harboat with lift , no contest, not that I've ever used a hardboat with a lift before but I'm sure it's well cool

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Aug. 22 2003,15:58)]harboat with lift , no contest, not that I've ever used a hardboat with a lift before but I'm sure it's well cool
A rib is much more fun for the journey but a hard boat with a lift gets my vote every time.

The lifts I used (once!!) was fine - you just had to watch where you put your hands (unless you had plenty of fingers to spare).

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Used all three, and mainly hardboat without lift, but the couple of occasions I've used one with lift - nice and easy (as the ad goes).
If you're diving this weeend, dive safe, and for everyone else, have a good'un.
Martin

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Lift - absolute no-brainer dude.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello,
Hardboat, due to technical diving a stable boat is 100% better to kit, also on the way you have a more comfy ride and more space. I find ribs that bounce too much. If hard boat is with lift, ofcourse yes, but in Malta never seen one. What about helicopter ? you just kit up near car, cilp cable to harness and back, it's better I hurry and register my idea

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hardboat cos I upchuck less, and lift cos I'm a lazy bugger

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hardboat for defo - ribs are only good if they're off the back of a liveaboard. Although if an alternate is not available then I'll hapily dive off of one (a RIB that is).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Hard boat by choice, but went for option without the tail lift as I have only ever been on 1 hard boat that had one!

Of course Liveaboard, which is not on there is the only way to dive really. Wait for the crew to tell you to get out of bed, into your bear, get on deck, after a bacon butty and coffee have been thrust into your hand, kit up, dive, back on board where more food is waiting for you!! Great life!!

Paul

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>hardboat with a lift obviously

but rib diving is much more fun, especially when you drive:angry::D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I'll dive from either but hardboat every time given the choice. I've never dived from, or even seen, one with a lift, though, so I voted for the ladder variety but I'm sure lifts are great. Many (most) diveboats have lousy ladders, though, with narrow, slippery rungs and hopeless handrails and they're often hung at the wrong angle. Grrrrrrrrr! You'd think that when somebody pays hundreds of thousands buying/building and fitting out a diveboat they'd afford the few extra pounds a decent ladder costs.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

I voted hardboat with ladder because I've not yet ussed a lift.

But if Paul Oliver reads this l'll change my vote to Rib, because l'll be diving with his cowbar mob next weekend off his club Rib and you don't need a lift with Paul to haul you onboard.

Matt l didn't see Rib with lift on your list, there's one from poole called Preditor, l think this was the skipper that had a friendly chat with Sreve W about using his shot on the earlier Swanage gig.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I can't imagine that anyone who has dived from a hardboat with a lift could possibly prefer anything else! Used Scott Waterman's boat, The Quest, this summer. The easiest diving I've ever done!

Sure we'll all take whatever we can get, and cope with it quite gladly, but there's no kudos in making the diving harder than it really needs to be.

Of course someone (probably Finless, in sheer mischief) will claim that lifts are for poofs and proper divers don't even need ladders to get into a hardboat. Bollocks!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steve-k @ Aug. 22 2003,17:02)]but rib diving is much more fun, especially when you drive:angry::D
You need help

So kit up drag your stuff down the beach, drown in your own sweat, rupture your self getting your twin set on the rib, have the piss taken out of you all the way to the dive site for bringing a twin set on a rib, dislocate your nose kitting up in the rib. Get in do the dive then  have to de kit in the water before rupturing a lung passing twin set up to rib before making a compleat twat of your self trying the imerse bounce and twist sit on side manouver which ends up with you face down in the slops on the bottom of the boat and getting a slap from the 18 stone dive babe for accidently grabbing her left tit in the atempt of preventing perminant facial scaring due to dodgy boat entry.

Oh yes ribs are great

Big boat with big lift and punka walla to remove fins kit get G&T etc.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hardboat, no contest, any time.  Even the worst ladder in the world in 100 times more elegant than trying to get back into a rib.  Especially if you are of "womanly" proportions!  My arms just aren't long enough to get my centre of gravity onto the tubes, let alone try and sit on the bloody thing, Mark!  I need a good yank in, which generally means asking some complete stranger to grab your arse/crotch/thigh or whatever really comes to hand.  You can't even slap them for it later!

Plus on a hardboat you have something more substantial to hold onto to be sick, and live in less fear of being launched into the ocean sans scuba!!

And before anyone mentions cost, 2 dives of the F&B shuttle at Portland costs the same as a hardboat charter for the day - how the hell does that compute?

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

I voted for HARDBOAT WITH A LADDER because i'm the senior coxswain for our clubs one.

And YES, i do think ya up to it,,, bacon butties on morning dives and burgers on afternoon / evening dives .

Nice engine box with bottle rack to sit and kit up on, easy entry and exit.
Good nav aids  ie,, laptop linked to GPS

oh forgot ,,, as much t & coffee as you can get down ya neck.

Andy

plus a nice friendly skipper with a nice
 and doesn't rock the boat to much to make you

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Woosies the lot of you,

Its got to be a Rhib, salt water in the face, compressed spine, fitted toilet, loads of space, fumes, no sarnies, skinned knuckles on the winch. Thats what you call diving.

Getting in is easy, just work out at the gym for 2 hours a day all winter and hey presto, easy recovery.

The extra joys of reversing the thing down the stupid narrow slip at Dover is also a big bonus. Lots of people standing around to give good advice on how to do it right, (do DIR cover rhib launch and recovery?).

Even better getting the thing up the green slim covered slip at LW in a front wheel drive Mondeo, LOL. But hey i get to dive for free cos i tow it.

Don't forget the fun of washing it down at the boat shed while re-filling the bottles. Divers = Kids when the hose pipe comes out - every time.

Safe Diving

Paul
BSAC Diver Cox'n (and thats a harder exam than any of the diving ones i've done).

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BSAC Diver Cox'n (and thats a harder exam than any of the diving ones i've done).
My mind boggles....

a) did you get dive quails from kelloggs ?
b) were you crap at boats to start of with ?

ONLY JOKING MATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

So, when you doing RYA Yachtmasters with a commercial endorsement ?

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

Plan was to do Day skipper last winter, but i was not impressed with the instructor (did my radio course), and i did not have the time due to work shittte.

Next year maybe.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Well I mainly dive of a nice rib which has a ladderDive eclipse
But given a choice it has to be hard boat with a lift and anyone who votes different is either lying or is a bit on the strange side

1 - 20 of 37 Posts