YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum on this and found some interesting threads but would appreciate a little more input bearing in mind I'm a relatively short-arsed female embarking on dives within a cavern diving certification (as in I may well want some jacket type buoyancy, rather than only dry suit, for surface buoyancy if nothing else)

I have looked at the harness' on both Martyn and Duncan's websites and feel I may need a bit more 'comfort' and support
I have tried on a Dragon ASM which feels rather nice and seems to cater well for breasts
I have read some stuff on the Armadillo which looks cool but, currently, outside my financial capabilities.

And, and this is quite a big and, I was wondering whether I couldn't use my IQ, without backplate, with some suitable applied bungee and clips. It has quite a few handily positioned rings.

If I could 'adapt' the IQ this would help a lot financially and allow me to use the same harness for OW backmounted twinset diving.
I spoke to someone today who could see no reason why I couldn't use the IQ

With this in mind and if it's viable can someone please advise the best way to do this :)

Also, as mentioned in the title - helmets :teeth:

Martyn recommended a canoing helmet, drilling and elastic
I haven't yet managed to find out how much a canoing helmet is but wanted to find out how much a caving helmet, suitable for torches, would be. I can see a few on Caving Supplies. Which would be best for cavern/cave diving? I also need one that fits a small head as it's all very well my head "oking" but not much good if the helmet remains where it is :rolleyes:

Grateful for all input and many thanks in anticipation :D

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Christ. I dunno.

But if you're serious about this cave diving lark then I would get in touch with the local branch of the CDG. They know their onions and might be able to help you out. I would guess that "try before you buy" is the thing you should be doing here.

Although it will (ideally) take you a few years I'm sure.

Janos

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I can join the CDG yet but I have looked at their website.
I would certainly be looking to approach the CDG once I really get going :)

S

·
0 Posts
I used a dive rite transpac harness for sidemounting by attaching some bungees under the arms (the transpac has small d rings at the top of the back which were in just the right place at attach them to). Does the IQ have similar d-rings? If so, you are well away. Thing to do is experiment :)

As far as helmets go, Troll make a climbing helmet that comes in different sizes so you can get one that fits. Can't remember what they call it but you should be able to find them on the internet.

Good luck :teeth:

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Sixsquid said:
<snip>
I have read some stuff on the Armadillo which looks cool but, currently, outside my financial capabilities.
</snip>
What about using the Armadillo CCR sidemount kit to modify your existing rig? it's only $75 with $30 postage (despite it saying $112 postage on their site) I have one on the way myself.

Ian

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like a plan....

Thanks Guys

We might be cooking on gas here :lightbulb:

Johnny PM'd me last night with the Armadillo Tail URL and that definitely looks good and 'multi-useful'. At only $75 a viable option and, as far as I can tell, there is no outrageous delivery charge.

Here's a pic of my IQ which I'm pretty confident will suffice, with the Armadillo tail and the right use of clipped bungee. I need to ascertain that I can attach the tail to the bottom of the IQ, presumably with backplate in place

I have noticed that most, if not all, the side mount harnesses I have looked at use the snap hook ("suicide") clips.
I fully appreciate a good and reliable dog/piston clip is costly and the cheaper version possibly unreliable so what is the general view amongst cavern/cave divers on using the "suicide" clips for a side mount harness

Many thanks again :D

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Well personally I had one made by my local friendly tame rope maker, we worked out roughly what I wanted, I took in some weight retainers and D-rings, and he made me a harness for £20. And did the adjustments on it too. Still going strong after a few years of abuse, but then I presume you don't have a tame rope maker.

The IQ will do the job for now, if it has a D-ring at the shoulder and hip you'll be able to sidemount using it. You can tie on some thick bungee from the D rings at the back to the shoulder D-rings, and hook the vlave and knob under this to tuck them under your arms better. Then you just clip the bottom clip to the hip D-ring and you're off.

I thinkt he carabiners are used because of the general use of climbing gear instead of any particular aversion to piston clips. That said, I have broken a few pistons so they won't open any more, so maybe that's a factor if they got filled with mud or similar.

I don't use mine for cave diving though, more for getting in the bits of shallow wrecks other people can't, so you might have to factor that in.

Digs.

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Digger said:
Well personally I had one made by my local friendly tame rope maker, we worked out roughly what I wanted, I took in some weight retainers and D-rings, and he made me a harness for £20. And did the adjustments on it too. Still going strong after a few years of abuse, but then I presume you don't have a tame rope maker.

The IQ will do the job for now, if it has a D-ring at the shoulder and hip you'll be able to sidemount using it. You can tie on some thick bungee from the D rings at the back to the shoulder D-rings, and hook the vlave and knob under this to tuck them under your arms better. Then you just clip the bottom clip to the hip D-ring and you're off.

Digs.
Thanks Digs, :thumbs_up:

great info and it sounds like the IQ might work without the armadillo tail. Although I think the Armadillo tail might make it more secure and in a better place and will add flexibility to the set up as I still want to dive OW

Sadly I don't have a friendly tame rope maker or even a friendly rope tamer ;)

Thanks again :teeth:

·
Technical caver
813 Posts
The best way (I find) to connect the cylinder to the D ring on the harness is a screw gate krab , you do need to file the lock grove flat. Filing it flat makes it easier to clip to the D ring with cold gloved hands.

Andrew

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Andrew,

great, although I'm not quite sure which bit I'm filing but I will when I get a carabeener in my hands

:D

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
AMW said:
The best way (I find) to connect the cylinder to the D ring on the harness is a screw gate krab , you do need to file the lock grove flat. Filing it flat makes it easier to clip to the D ring with cold gloved hands.
I just use lightweight accessory snap links that you can get from Poundland (2 for a pound). Some divers like to use screw gates other snaps. Boltsnaps get full of mud and don't work after a while.

A top tip with any karabiner is to fashion a retainer out of a cable tie threaded around the krab and D-ring on the tank to stop it rotating (or you can use a snoopy loop). It does mean that you have to dedicate a krab for each tank - hence use cheap ones.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Sixsquid said:
II have looked at the harness' on both Martyn and Duncan's websites and feel I may need a bit more 'comfort' and support. I have tried on a Dragon ASM which feels rather nice and seems to cater well for breasts. I have read some stuff on the Armadillo which looks cool but, currently, outside my financial capabilities.
I've owned both the Dragon and Farr harness (as well as making several of my own). I reckon the Farr harness is better (and in any case Dragon have closed shop).

The primary function of the harness is to keep your cylinders close to your person when you are in the water hence likely to be less uncomfortable than you think.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Duncan beat me to it, Dragon are closed now. I quite like the Dragon harness apart from not being able to move the shoulder d-rings easily.

Inglesport in Ingleton had one left in stock the last time I was in but that was a few months ago.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
NotDeadYet said:
Duncan beat me to it, Dragon are closed now. I quite like the Dragon harness apart from not being able to move the shoulder d-rings easily.
If anything, the Farr harness has D-rings that move too easily...it doesn't have the underarm loops or chest link that the Dragon does and is easier to put on.

I've made three modifications to my Farr harness:

1. Thicker shock cord and bigger chest D-ring clips.
2. A better waist belt and using a weight belt q-release buckle to retain the belt and also feed back the tail of the belt into to stop it slipping.
3. A crotch strap for scootering (though its also good for carrying stages).

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Duncan Price said:
is easier to put on
Couldn't be any harder on the Dragon... pick one of about three possible loops per arm. An absolute sod when it's heaving it down and you're hungover. Not that that condition ever occurs...

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Duncan Price said:
If anything, the Farr harness has D-rings that move too easily...it doesn't have the underarm loops or chest link that the Dragon does and is easier to put on.

I've made three modifications to my Farr harness:

1. Thicker shock cord and bigger chest D-ring clips.
2. A better waist belt and using a weight belt q-release buckle to retain the belt and also feed back the tail of the belt into to stop it slipping.
3. A crotch strap for scootering (though its also good for carrying stages).
Thanks Duncan, pictures and everything :teeth:
Given my current financial limitations I'm quite keen to see if I can use the IQ with some clips and bungee and maybe that Armadillo tail
I think finding the right clips is going to be a bit of trial and error.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:
I know Dragon have closed down ( I heard this was due to UK cavers/cave divers being too tight to buy kit ;) but my LDS have 2 in stock and I did try one on. It felt very comfortable but I take your point Duncan.
Same LDS was prepared to say they reckoned the IQ would probably do for a while.

Oh and I looked at the Troll helmet. I really need to get a cheapy off ebay or similar. I appreciate the inner foam you find on some will have to come out but are there any canoe helmets (or other - saw a lot of ice hockey ones) that I will not be able to drill holes in ?

Any advice on what type I should avoid?
Thanking you again in anticpation :angel:

·
Cave and diver
259 Posts
Sixsquid said:
Thanks Andrew,

great, although I'm not quite sure which bit I'm filing but I will when I get a carabeener in my hands

:D
You're filing the lip at the end of the Krab .... the hook that the gate closes onto that makes it load bearing .... on Andrew's photo it's that bit above and to the left of the red screwgate.

Ciao,
Peter

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 72 Posts