YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
apologies in advance if this has been answered lots already (noob type harness question coming) (i couldn't find the answer elsewhere...), but...
I recently picked up an OMS delux harness off fleabay (the one with the quick release on the left side), good nick, etc, etc.

Its rigged ok but i cannot find anything explaining how tight (or slack) this should be when on. I'm a little over 6' and the instructions on one of the D*R related sites says it should be high enough to touch the plate - for me this would mean i cannot breathe... Also I've read that as per a bergen the weight of the bp, etc should be borne on the hips.

Any set-up advice/tips/recommendations (pref. not including chuck it away and buy a single piece one :) ) gratefully received.

Cheers.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
It should be as tight or as loose as is comfortable for you.

The DIR thing is a whole bunch of kit configuration issues which, when used together in DIR / GUE fashion all work very nicely for that style of diving. DIR is designed to be a 'holistic' approach, as in, do all the DIR bits together, they work well like that. But if you take one or two points, then they don't always work 'cause they can conflict against other configurations or such that you have have in your set-up if you don't follow DIR.

If you are doing any diving that means you cannot immediately ascend to the surface, due to overhead restrictions, depth, deco time etc, then you need to be able to shut down the valves on your tanks to preserve gas if you get a freeflow etc. Some people are able to set up there tanks in a way that this is possible, some use remote knobs, some invert their tanks to make it possible.

If you need to tighten your harness up too much to get it to fit you properly, then maybe it is the wrong size harness?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The way i configured my harness is using three fingers. Loosen the harness until you can slide three fingers between your shoulder and harness. That iis a good place to start and has worked for me.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Is it one of these you have?

I don't think the advice about rigging this in a DIR fashion will work. The DIR harness is not crossed behind the neck and there is no sternum strap. That said, adjusting the harness length so you can touch the top of the plate will you in being able to manipulate your valves. I think the sternum strap will restrict movement though so you may need the shoulder straps looser to compensate.

Never tried this particular piece of kit first hand but I did use the DiveRite equivaent on an SS plate and never got on with it.

HTH
Mal

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
The key trick is that with tanks on the bottom of the plate overlaps the big bones in your pelvis so it doesn't dig in.

This sets it a lot lower when than some of these 'touch the top' arguments but the waist strap slots point up to go round your waist. The idea was that the tanks don't dig into you when you climb up the ladder. The plate does not go in the middle of your back but at the bottom of your back.

This also makes the shoulder loops relatively large so when you let go the waist and crotch strap and let the tanks ride up on the wing you suddenly discover why getting out of an unbroken harness is supposed to be easy.

Bill (Hogarth) Main knew what he was doing when he planned this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts