YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking on the internet I have not found many good resources on how to set up a harness and backplate to get it to fit "correctly". Does any one know of any good resources for this or not?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Gareth,
Whats the best way to get into a 1 piece harness, is there a tried and tested technique or does everyone have their own way?
I find its a pain to get into on your own - I know that you will have other team memebers present to help:) but discount that for now.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
The best way is to stand the rig up on something, then drop down below the level of the BP slightly and then I (personally) feed my right arm through (while keeping a little way from the BP ie not tight against it) and then feel around behind me with my left arm and pull that on. I know others feed left arm first because it doesn't snag the dump valve but I am so used to right-first that it is uncomfortable for me to do left first.

Most of the time I don't need someone there, it is a nicety and you should be able to get in on your own.

I guess the biggest thing is to be level or below the level of the BP when getting into and out of a single piece harness.

And practice!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
And practice!!
LOL, the wife thinks I'm going mad as I keep disappearing off to the shed to put my twin set on!
I can get in and out reasonably with just a sweatshirt on but find it a complete pain to get into with the drysuit - this is one of my areas of issue, I know the drysuit I have is bulky and restrictive- I need to replace it but as always (with diving) it was expensive, a new one is expensive and I just don't have the spare cash (new roof required:frown: ) so I'm just going to have to wait and put up with it for now:redface:

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I can get in and out reasonably with just a sweatshirt on but find it a complete pain to get into with the drysuit - this is one of my areas of issue, I know the drysuit I have is bulky and restrictive- I need to replace it but as always (with diving) it was expensive, a new one is expensive and I just don't have the spare cash (new roof required:frown: ) so I'm just going to have to wait and put up with it for now:redface:
Not a lot else to say, if you can get in with the sweatshirt, then you shouldn't have a problem with a suit. However, from that comment, I presume it is a back-loading neo suit :D Some of the back-loading zips don't help with mobility at all but that's what you have got, so that's what you're going to have to practice with ;)

Sorry that I couldn't be any more help and sorry to hear about the roof.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Marty
one way around that would be to have an extra loop in one of the shoulder straps with clips, so you maintain the single piece integrity but have enough extra in the loop to make getting in/out easy. Woz has done it to his harness, as have others, I havent. I tried it but found the clkip uncomfortable, you may find it ok. The great thing is you wont have to cut your harness to try it.

HTH
Matt

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Marty
one way around that would be to have an extra loop in one of the shoulder straps with clips, so you maintain the single piece integrity but have enough extra in the loop to make getting in/out easy. Woz has done it to his harness, as have others, I havent. I tried it but found the clkip uncomfortable, you may find it ok. The great thing is you wont have to cut your harness to try it.

HTH
Matt
Matt,
I actually have done that:redface: have a clip in place with a loop (on one side) so no break as you say. Yes the clip is uncomfortable when it first goes on but not too bad once I've snuggled into things. Getting out is good with this, I kind of think its my technique rather than anything else - as GLOC says I need to practice! I've been approaching the rig from above rather than below (ooh err) so I'll give it a bash from below:teeth:
My suit is a back loader but its membrane not neo - its off the peg and as such bunches up on the arms - I'm just gonna have to shell out for an MTM in the end.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Some suit manufacturers do a huge range of sizes 'off the peg' Oceanic for one. Mine was off the peg, I'm a sort of fairly average size though in height weight etc.
Yep,
the anoying thing is, if I'd taken my time and thought about it first for longer and looked at the options I would have ended up with a better fitting suit, having said that it I wasn't a porker the suit could have been smaller. LOL

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
The best way is to stand the rig up on something, then drop down below the level of the BP slightly and then I (personally) feed my right arm through (while keeping a little way from the BP ie not tight against it) and then feel around behind me with my left arm and pull that on. I know others feed left arm first because it doesn't snag the dump valve but I am so used to right-first that it is uncomfortable for me to do left first.
Having been brought up as a warmwater diver I had real difficulty remembering to attach my drysuit feed until I was advised to connect it as the first thing I do, which means I have to go in Left hand first and therefore protects the dump valve.

I think this is something that helped me overcome the forgetting to connect the suit feed. :D

Mal

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Up date

Just rethreaded my harness to get rid of the brake and what did I discover?
Low and behold I had the shoulder straps threaded wrongly where they go through the bottom of the backplate:lightbulb:
Now the straps fall correctly when I try to put my arms in and are a lot easier to shuck out of - bloody miracle, next time I'll take a bit more time to read the bl##dy diagram:tongue:
Still think getting out of it "in water" would be interesting to say the least - but lets not start that one again:D

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
The reslity is getting out of it underwater is either the last thing you're going to do, or the last resort to stop the dive being the last thing you're goign to do. Practice it, but in all honesty I know a lot of people who can't take their rig off in the water. I can, because it was a skill on a course I did, but it's not easy, and certainly isn't a mid water skill.

In fact, I'd lay down the gauntlet to see anyone do a twins remove and replace mid water. I'd love to see it, but I get the feeling it's virtually impossible. You'd have to be some sort of diving jedi.

I get well below mine (twins on the bench and bend my knees right down) and slide up into it. That keeps my arms low in the harness so they don't get caught as much. Getting out I just find a bit of slack and pull my hand under the harness. Not sure why but it's always been fairly simple like that, just came across it as the way of doing it early on.

Digs.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Jumped out of twins and RBs (which are monstrously large and heavy) at the Doux yesterday so they could be hauled out over a chest high step.

It should not be an issue to dekit in the water and in a correctly fitted harness it does not need a break.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.