YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To avoid opening my camera housing during the day (humidity, possible sand on o-ring etc), I'm wondering if I could use one of these to transfer images from camera to laptop (maybe using my phone as a hotspot. Eye-Fi Mobile X2 wireless memory card: instant uploads from your camera | Eye-Fi UK
Has anyone else tried this? My images are always RAW files typically about 34mb in size and I might take 20 or 30 images on a dive.

Any advice or experience would be useful before I spend the money. :D

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Yes I had one (one of the early EyeFi ones), before selling it. Worked fine, just ate my batteries and I did not have any need for it. I preferred not to have worry about power with my camera underwater - not that it killed the battery in one go, just that I worried on the second dive. My SLR use CF, so no use with that.

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Wouldn't a cable do the same job?

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I had one (one of the early EyeFi ones), before selling it. Worked fine, just ate my batteries and I did not have any need for it. I preferred not to have worry about power with my camera underwater - not that it killed the battery in one go, just that I worried on the second dive. My SLR use CF, so no use with that.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid off, bit self defeating in that case.

Really? My full frame Canon only creates 23Mb files!

Cheers, Chris
my mistake, 14.5mb

Cradlepoint Personal WiFi Hotspot Review | Warehouse Express
Any use? We did use a card with it, but I can't be bothered to read through the whole thing to see how much it's mentioned.
My phone works as a hotspot too so no need for another gadget but thanks for the idea.

Not unless I can figure out how to fit a cable without opening the camera hosusing

I thought the same! A 34mb RAW file is a beast only comparable to your ego;)
where is that 1 finger smiley when you need it? :p

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, that's what I was afraid off, bit self defeating in that case.

Really? My full frame Canon only creates 23Mb files!

Cheers, Chris
my mistake, 14.5mb

Cradlepoint Personal WiFi Hotspot Review | Warehouse Express
Any use? We did use a card with it, but I can't be bothered to read through the whole thing to see how much it's mentioned.
My phone works as a hotspot too so no need for another gadget but thanks for the idea.

Not unless I can figure out how to fit a cable without opening the camera hosusing

I thought the same! A 34mb RAW file is a beast only comparable to your ego;)
where is that 1 finger smiley when you need it? :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts