YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some will know I had a "head on" crash in my car in the middle of my Fundies course.

Now at the time I saw it as cut and dried ... the other guy was driving like a maniac on a single track road and couldn't stop when he saw me .... even though I was stationary having seen him hurling up the hill.

It irked me that he (and his insurance company) claimed it was a 50:50 but thanks to two witness statement things were ruled in my favour.

At the time of the crash I was without a car and couldn't get a hire car till an assessor had seen my car and got it in a garage for repair ... which could take up to two weeks.

Not good enough thought I so I took advantage of the legal protection I have, and within a couple of hours they had agreed to take the case on and would arrange for a no risk hire car. Bascially they would pay for the car in the belief they would be able to claim the cost of the hire. They charged £90 per day so I guess they don't mind if they lose a few cases.

So when the cheque came through I thought that would be the end of it until today I get a call from the same firm who arranged the hire car enquiring as to whether I had any "pain or discomfort in my neck, back or shoulders" because "a substantial amount of money can be claimed". No I said...."are you sure?" they asked .... like they were encouraging me to lie.

What a terrible society we have become :(

Mal

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
i have had the same problem a few years ago wife was in car and another one right into the back of her, after a few weeks we started getting the calls are you ok , got a sore neck, back etc we can arrange a doctor and take the case on!
These companies aren't happy unless they are fleecing us as many was as possible !

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Bogus claims were discussed on Jesser Vine this lunchtime, apparently some people think they are owed something back.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
and no doubt they'd arrange to collect said compensation for a fee...

You are right - it's practically an invitation to fraud on the basis that 'back pain' can't be disproved.

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
A mate of mine was knocked of his motorcycle by a [email protected] in a car who tried to be smart in front of the judge. The judge kicked him and found in favour of my mate. He was awarded costs and claimed for the damage to his bike.

The judge then asked him if he was sure that he didn't want to claim for any injuries!

Mind you, I think the judge was a decent bloke who just wanted to make sure my friend wasn't shafted.

Regards,

Mark

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
unfortunately it's too easy to claim for the injury's with doctors doing medicals by just looking at you, and lawyers getting big payouts for little work.

we are slowly turning into the American way of thinking in that we can sue people for anything. there is a case down here that a mum from aboard was given a car because it cost the council to much in taxi fares to transport her children to school; When she crashed and they found out she didn't have a UK licence, she is now suing the council for giving her a car without her having a licence and not being checked, ??

Graham

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
I'm sorry but how the hell am I supposed to pay fro my rebreather then?? :eek:mg:
Oh no, there's even more hoses to route on that!

--------------------------
Compensation, where it's due, is fine, but it's becoming more a part of our society nowadays. I seem to recall from a long time ago, there was a story that people who would buy up old cars that were road legal, then 'crash' into some innocent motorist. The net result would be compenastion claims going in and a healthy profit for the cheeky twats!

The sad thing is, it's the regular person that pays the price in the long term with inflated insurance premiums.....

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Oh no, there's even more hoses to route on that!

--------------------------
Compensation, where it's due, is fine, but it's becoming more a part of our society nowadays. I seem to recall from a long time ago, there was a story that people who would buy up old cars that were road legal, then 'crash' into some innocent motorist. The net result would be compenastion claims going in and a healthy profit for the cheeky twats!

The sad thing is, it's the regular person that pays the price in the long term with inflated insurance premiums.....
It's apparently quite rife in Germany because of their daft "always give way to the right" rule.

·
Blue Peter Diver
616 Posts
unfortunately it's too easy to claim for the injury's with doctors doing medicals by just looking at you, and lawyers getting big payouts for little work.
DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THIS
I ran into someone about 18months ago - very loose description. I was reversing out a parking spot in a local supermarket, hence doing about 3 miles an hour. Tapped this young girl, she didnt want any details when i got out of my car. Thought nothing of it until I got a call from my insurance co about it. 12 months on, she is paid out for the cost of the damage (wasnt any) and compo for whiplash................. at 3 fecking miles an hour!!!! Your taking the p**s, i thought. No all paid out.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
It's apparently quite rife in Germany because of their daft "always give way to the right" rule.
Ehh??? What rule is that then?

Chris

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think that might be the priority to the right rule that used to be widespread in France until common sense prevailed about a tractor potentially pulling out of a farm track onto the equivalent of an A road yet having priority in the eyes of the law.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Glad it's working in your favour although you could claim that a bump on the noggin turned you GOOEY ;)

It's a sign of the times mate, ambulance chasing firms making money because they know that companies would rather pay an uncontested sum than defend it and run up huge legal bills.

The irony is we all pay more in the long run because of increased premiums.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Bogus claims were discussed on Jesser Vine this lunchtime, apparently some people think they are owed something back.
Fiona, for God's sake - save yourself NOW!

Dianne

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Surely I don't have to apologies for being a Radio 2 listerner :tongue:

I was on the way back from the dive shop if that helps :)
Oops - thought it was daytime TV!! Before you demand it :

I APOLOGISE :D

Dianne

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
.... a tractor potentially pulling out of a farm track onto the equivalent of an A road yet having priority in the eyes of the law.
Madame, my tracteur she is BIG. Your Renault she is small. I ave the Pastis for my lunch and you ave only the tea. I ave ze priority and ze bollocks to you all...

Cordialment

Farmer Chrizz

1 - 20 of 25 Posts