YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had to clean the insides of a second stages underwater because of it malfunctioning due to silt or whatever? Is it necessary to have a second stage with a removable face cover or is a fixed one just fine?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I have cleaned grit out underwater. I might have been doing a bit of silt-out digging (bloody timer caps....grumble grumble) and I got a reg full of crap. It didn't cause any issues, but I was worried, so a quick switch to the back-up, face off, diaphragm out and a swoosh, then pop it all back together.

·
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
1,081 Posts
***edit*** I'm not implying that MaryS mucks about with her kit!
I'd have been safer if I had been - I'd have realised it was loose! It was an Oceanic Omega II where the whole of the housing unscrews from the pilot valve inside so I was left with a piece of plastic in my mouth but no internal guts to it :eek:

(PS I do muck around with my kit :embarasse)

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Yes, diving in Stoney, recovering line blind and got a bunch of mini-mussels in the diaphragm which meant it was breathing wet. Put mask back on, switched to back-up, took face plate off the TX40, cleaned the crap out, put it back on, reg back in gob, and carried on with the line drills.

Regards

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Depends on where it is! If it is like a lot of recreational divers I see with Octos dangling, then the answer should be yes because it is dragging in the crap.

Regards

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
Have tried removing ?TX faceplates without tools & it ain't easy! How do you do it underwater?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
You need to NOT crank them up tight with tools! Once you have them off the first time, just tighten them with the palm of your hand - they then come off in the same way, and you can just get your fingers catching the edge of the pierced holes in the faceplate for extra leverage.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
You need to NOT crank them up tight with tools! Once you have them off the first time, just tighten them with the palm of your hand - they then come off in the same way, and you can just get your fingers catching the edge of the pierced holes in the faceplate for extra leverage.
:D bingo :)

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
So I don't need the Apeks faceplate removal tool then?

Cool!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
So I don't need the Apeks faceplate removal tool then?

Cool!
yes to get them off in the first instance ;)

Try it with a rubber glove on the faceplate first and you may find you don't need the tool at all.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
You removed an apeks faceplate underwater, that was originally tightened up to the required amount, in cold water , underwater, with gloves on??

Yes you can undo them with your hand that is possible, I know that.
Yes.

Although it depends what you think the required amount is. As I explained, it is hand tight. Never has it accidently come undone. Never have I had a problem with the diaphragm mis-seating. So, for me, that is pretty much the required amount. :D

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.