YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Found an interesting website on Haweswater nr Keswick and was wondering if anybody here has dived it? £20 fee for a days diving so before I part with my hard earned readies I was wondering if it was worth it.

Regards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

Done many of the Lakes in the past, including Haweswater.
There is a sunken village at the top end with bridge.
In my opinion the lake is not worth a dive, the viz is often terrible.
As for the sunken village it conjures up in the minds eye old stone cottages and streets were you can swim through the door and explore inside.
Sorry but it is not so. Piles of stones and a bridge that goes over a long submerged road is the highlight.
You would be better off going to Ulleswater and exploring the arms dumps and old jettys.
The thing with the lakes is quite often were there are  old houses on the lake side, opposite are their submerged rubbish dumps from yesteryear!
Tata shipmates.  
Tata Shipmates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

Done many of the Lakes in the past, including Haweswater.
There is a sunken village at the top end with bridge.
In my opinion the lake is not worth a dive, the viz is often terrible.
As for the sunken village it conjures up in the minds eye old stone cottages and streets were you can swim through the door and explore inside.
Sorry but it is not so. Piles of stones and a bridge that goes over a long submerged road is the highlight.
You would be better off going to Ulleswater and exploring the arms dumps and old jettys.
The thing with the lakes is quite often were there are  old houses on the lake side, opposite are their submerged rubbish dumps from yesteryear!
Tata shipmates.  
Tata Shipmates.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

OK then,

Seeing as we've now 'done' Hodge Close and Wastwater (surely to be revisited), what about Ulleswater as next in the chain of sites for a YD Troop manoeuvre?

If Jake reckons there are some 'old arms dumps' there, then it should make for some V-interesting muck diving?! You never know what we might find!

Added advantage is that in winter, the place will be deserted - so parking and access should not be a problem.

What say you, oh intrepid YD-ers mine?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

There's a bottle bank near to one of the piers, if you find any cods-wallop bottles could be a nice little earner as these are quite collectable.  I didn't know about the arms dump though.
Steve

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Steve, are cods-wallop bottles the ones with the marbles in the neck?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

That the one's Frog; I believe the inventor was called 'Cod' and the 'wallop' comes from the method of opening them, at least I think I remember that from Antiques Roadshow or similar progs
Steve

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

I think there isn't many of them left due to kids smashing them to get the marbles out of the neck!  Thought that was them, but decided to ask someone a little wiser than myself.  Ribbet.  

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Steve W on 11:01 am on Nov. 21, 2002
....at least I think I remember that from Antiques Roadshow or similar progs
Steve
<span =''>

Antiques Roadshow? :rofl2:  From 60's Hippie Heavy Rock drummer, hairy-arsed diver to Antiques Roadshow - ah the Rock and Roll Lifestyle.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

There are loads of little lakes not on the map in cumbria worth checking out at somepoint. Some have roman remains, etc.
Will post details as I get them off an old diver I know at work.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Antiques Roadshow? :rofl2:  From 60's Hippie Heavy Rock drummer, hairy-arsed diver to Antiques Roadshow - ah the Rock and Roll Lifestyle.
<span =''>

Well, gotta plan ahead you know, some days it doesn't feel that far off ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Agree
Mardale the village in Haweswater was deliberately flattened before they flooded the valley.
Remember it appearing in one dry summer above the waterline some remains of the dry stone walls thats all

Anyone done Thirlmere?
Theres what some people rave about, a cliff face near Bailiff Wood in Coniston only an average dive

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

OUR CLUB OFTEN DIVES ULLSWATER. USUALLY STYBARROW CRAG (LARGE LAYBY IN CLIFF FACE BEFORE GLENRIDDING).
GOOD DROP OFF TO APPROX 48MTRS BUT VIZ CAN BE POOR .
THERE IS AN ALLEDGED ARMS DUMP ABOUT 400 MTRS DOWN THE LAKE FROM HERE,BUT I'VE NEVER FOUND ANYTHING THERE. PLENTY OF AMMO IN SMALL BAY BEFORE AIRA FORCE THOUGH.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

If youre after the bottles etc from the dump close to Sharrow bay, then too late! - I got about 300 from there - codds, various beers , perfumes, poisons, about 70 stonewares.......just need to flog them now to buy more dive kit!

Also did find a couple of years bac an aircraft tail (small one - dont know what type) off the same area in about 20m, very close to the area where compasses go bollox-up off the howtown pier (prob the remains of the sunken paddle steamer which would be under about 4m of silt by now...........)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imported post

Hi Alistair,

The tail plane may have been from a Miles Magister which hit the water and sank 3 miles south west of Pooley Bridge on the 31st Dec 1940.

Regards
Ross

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

Just looked up pictures of the Miles Magister - the tailplane looks exactly the right size and shape for what I found, especially considering half of it would have been covered- presumably then the rest of the bloody plane is under the silt?? damn and blast! that means Im going to have to go back down there, get completely lost in 20m with no vis and bump into the thing again!!?

Have you got details of the loss? any records as to why it went down etc etc?

Ali

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imported post

Hi Alistair,

The aircraft was from No.15 Elementary Flying Training School and ended up at the bottom due to pilot error i.e. over enthusiastic low flying.

Serial number was L8355.

I'd hang fire about prodding in the silt as I have a vague memory that a local ATC unit recovered a Maggie back in the 80s. I'll see if I can find out which aircraft they lifted and let you know (may take about a week).

Regards
Ross

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imported post

Hi Alistair,

Ok. Checked up on a few things.

LAC J R Senior was the only person aboard and he survived with only minor injuries.

Took off for solo practice of steep turns and spinning. Hit water with wing tip while low flying and dived into Ullswater, 3 miles south west of Pooley Bridge, Cumberland at 12:00 hrs. Although permitted to continue training LAC Senior, who had completed 13 hours solo, was later subject to a Court Martial.

In 1974 most of the aircraft was recovered by divers and put on display at Windimere ATC Headquarters.

The recovered wreckage was not protected and has now corroded away. From pictures I've seen it would appear that neither the wings or the tailplane were recovered in 1973 as the airframe began to disintegrate during the lift.

So some bits left but not the fuselage and engine.

Hope this helped.
Regards
Ross

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>ahh the great wrecks of ullswater. never seen anything like this in the lake and i've been in a few times, but i know a man who will know all about it,he spends more time in there than he does at home .i'll have a word with him at the weekend

1 - 20 of 21 Posts