YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Can't dive as much as I would like!
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to have head ache after diving, a buddy has suggested that it is something to do with CO2 and the way you breath. I take a couple or Ibuprofen and all is ok. Does anybody experience similar headaches and if it is my breathing, what should I do to prevent it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Headaches are a classic symptom of CO2 retention.

Are you regs providing an 'easy' breathe?
What's your fitness like, do you find that you're working hard on these dives?
Where do you get your fills from - is it always the same place?

Juz

·
Registered
380 Posts
It really depends on the type of headaches and what you have been doing in terms of type of diving etc. There is a link with headaches / PFO's / bends. There is lots of info on the net about this but each case is slightly different so I would always suggest you discuss this sort of thing with your local diving doctor.
Cheers

·
old time
6,658 Posts
I agree with the above.....

Please don't put it down to a ICE CREAM headache.....

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Headaches are a classic symptom of CO2 retention.

Are you regs providing an 'easy' breathe?
What's your fitness like, do you find that you're working hard on these dives?
Where do you get your fills from - is it always the same place?
Good questions to think about, CO2 will do it for sure (but as mentioned may not be the cause) - analyse your breathing, is it shallow and fairly fast?

The optimum technique for breathing through a mechanical device is like that of an opera singer - all the way in and all the way out - maximum use of lung volume.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Or you could even just be dehydrated. You loose a phenomenal amount of fluid when you dive and the air you breath is dry.

·
Resident bibliophile
129 Posts

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Sounds stupid but .....

Where is the headache ? If its across the front at the top of the forehead it could be a simple case of the hood not being pulled forwards & down enough .I had headaches after 3 dives & somebody said to me on the fourth as I kitted up that even though I thought it was correct the hood could come down about an inch to meet the mask ,did that & no more headaches :teeth: but if it persists get it checked .as has been said when was the last time you had your regs serviced ? I have just had mine serviced after 2 1/2 years & can't believe the difference :redface:

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
You can get headaches form sinus congestion or if you have difficulty equalizing. You can also get headaches from poor off gassing (going to the extremes of No Stop limits or not doing proper stops) or poor buoyancy control (big up and down moves).

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the headache goes away with ibuprofin, it's not likely CO2 induced. CO2 headaches only go away when you've cleared sufficient CO2 from your system, in other words, with time.

Other minor causes can be a slight sinus squeeze or a too-tight mask. Like the mask issue, the tip about the position of the hood, above, makes some sense.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I used to get headaches after diving. Since I've started to do much slower ascents from 21m and up with at least a 3 minute stop at 6m and a 2 minute ascent from 6m to the surface, the headaches have stopped.

I've also stopped feeling knackered on the drive home. I figure I must have been ever so slightly bending myself before.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
A bad headache immediately after a dive can be a symptom of DCI. Have you checked for anything else?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I used to get headaches after diving. Since I've started to do much slower ascents from 21m and up with at least a 3 minute stop at 6m and a 2 minute ascent from 6m to the surface, the headaches have stopped.

I've also stopped feeling knackered on the drive home. I figure I must have been ever so slightly bending myself before.
Agree wit this, generous safety stop and very slow ascent from 6m

Simon

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I used to get them a LOT after deeper diving or dives in current. Im 100% certain it was down to CO2 retention on a dive. Headaches and nausea often lasted hours after the dive. Quite often the headache actually started on the dive itself.

A lot rarer these days although i do sometimes get 1 or 2 if my weight is wrong and having an off day. Getting my regs serviced helped somewhat too.

·
Can't dive as much as I would like!
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of suggestions there, here are a couple of answers to some of your questions.

I consider myself to be fit, my bouyancy is good, I do not exceed my no decompression time and I always do a safety stop for 3 mins at 6m. My regs were serviced December and I generally get my air from the same place, 2nd fill from a dive site.

I will monitor it the next couple of dives, thanks for the good advice.

Cheers

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
I have started to have head ache after diving, a buddy has suggested that it is something to do with CO2 and the way you breath. I take a couple or Ibuprofen and all is ok. Does anybody experience similar headaches and if it is my breathing, what should I do to prevent it.

Thanks

I used to suffer from this every time I dived and I mean every time. got the same reasons as posted. what I did to solve problem was drink 3 liters of water before dive and a liter or so after problem stoped just like that. Infact the more water I drank the better I felt.

but I do mean 3 liters of water not fizy stuff with loads of sugar in it.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
just completed two dives and got headache

Hi just completed 2 dives at capernwray (today)and on the 2nd dive got a headache, Im putting it down to cold water 9 degrees and I forgot my hood.

CO2 will give you a headache but you mustn`t be exhaling properly and breathing very shallowly for this to build up also its the build up co2 that gives us the urge to breathe not lack of o2.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Do your NITROX course if you haven't already done so - you'll have a clearer head if you dive on NITROX (assuming you've exhausted all other curables causes)

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Do your NITROX course if you haven't already done so - you'll have a clearer head if you dive on NITROX (assuming you've exhausted all other curables causes)
Diving on nitrox won't help with a problem caused by a poor breathing habit though. I'm not aware that a higher level of O2 in inhaled gas would make any difference to the level of CO2 in the body post matabalism.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 37 Posts